Problem with Don't Starve SP and DST

From what I know, Klei is planning to implement all the features which are in DST to be in Don't Starve Single Player. However, this would not be a legit idea. Adding caves and Teleportato is quite vital to be in DST. But as for adventure mode, may be that shouldn't be there unless the player has the Don't Starve SP. What I'm saying is that there will be no need for a player to play single player while the player can just play multiplayer with all the same features (even if they're a bit different, they can be changed with mods anyway) together with friends on by themselves. Sinse now there's a LAN version, this makes it even simpler. Make your world and Offline one, set it to the lowest amount of players possible (2), Set it friends only, give it a password and you technically got yourself a Single player world. The fact that some stuff is harder to fight doesn't make much difference and it can be modded.

What I'm getting at is that Don't Starve SP should stay with some features which Don't Starve Together WON'T have at all! It shouldn't really be that DST would be different from Don't Starve SP because DST has some other features which Don't Starve SP doesn't have: it should be the contrary! When DST will have Caves and stuff, none will play DS anymore: they can make Don't Starve SP WITHIN DST and get even more features! And I bet with modding Ewecus can be disabled if someone doesn't want it!

Mods, mods, mods. Klei has done a lot of stuff in DST to encourage (if not downright require in the case of the Ewecus) cooperative play, including nerfing player damage. What you're saying is that if players use mods to disable the cooperative features, they can just play DS in DST, and everyone will stop playing DS. 

The problem with your scenario is that by the full public release of DST, everyone will own both DS and DST, so if they want to play singleplayer, they'll already own the game. Also, if you're worried about players using mods to break the game, they can just as easily break adventure mode in single player with mods. For example: using Too Many Items to give yourself 10 meaty stews and full thulecite gear before entering Maxwell's door. 

Mods, mods, mods. Klei has done a lot of stuff in DST to encourage (if not downright require in the case of the Ewecus) cooperative play, including nerfing player damage. What you're saying is that if players use mods to disable the cooperative features, they can just play DS in DST, and everyone will stop playing DS. 

The problem with your scenario is that by the full public release of DST, everyone will own both DS and DST, so if they want to play singleplayer, they'll already own the game. Also, if you're worried about players using mods to break the game, they can just as easily break adventure mode in single player with mods. For example: using Too Many Items to give yourself 10 meaty stews and full thulecite gear before entering Maxwell's door. 

The porblem is not about OWNING DS SP but PLAYING DS SP!

If DS features help make DST a better game, then there's no reason not to implement them.

So... Nobody's gonna care about Don't Starve anymore. It's just gonna be Don't Starve Together everywhere?

Klei themselves don't realize the uselessness of DS SP due to DST, I think.

So... Nobody's gonna care about Don't Starve anymore. It's just gonna be Don't Starve Together everywhere?

Klei themselves don't realize the uselessness of DS SP due to DST, I think.

I still play DS. DS has more mods and is easier to mod if you want something to work normally. DST mods require work if you want them to work for both the host and the players. As much as I love DST, I still like DS.

So what you're saying is "DST needs to be gimped and miss out on awesome features, just because."

I could kinda get it if the point here was "people won't even bother buying DS single player!" (it'll be hugely discounted if you own DST iirc so that's not a big thing), but what you're saying is... people won't bother opening up single player for a world fully intended to only be played by themselves? Even though they'll have like, halved combat damage, and weaker armor that also breaks really fast? Plus you'd have to tweak world settings to make some features not dumb for a single person (ewecus is instant death, but you have to also disable warg that way- and you need to turn down map size each time)

You'd have to be really stubborn for literally no good reason. Unless you actively wanted the combat nerfs, but hey if that's your perogative go for it, the thing is most people really wouldn't want that.

edit:Okay, I reread your post and saw your point is "get even more features". At this point the only extra features are meteors (Which are minor and also completely unnecessary in single player as you already have enough resources) and Ewecus which would instantly kill you.

From what I know, Klei is planning to implement all the features which are in DST to be in Don't Starve Single Player. However, this would not be a legit idea. Adding caves and Teleportato is quite vital to be in DST. But as for adventure mode, may be that shouldn't be there unless the player has the Don't Starve SP. What I'm saying is that there will be no need for a player to play single player while the player can just play multiplayer with all the same features (even if they're a bit different, they can be changed with mods anyway) together with friends on by themselves. Sinse now there's a LAN version, this makes it even simpler. Make your world and Offline one, set it to the lowest amount of players possible (2), Set it friends only, give it a password and you technically got yourself a Single player world. The fact that some stuff is harder to fight doesn't make much difference and it can be modded.

What I'm getting at is that Don't Starve SP should stay with some features which Don't Starve Together WON'T have at all! It shouldn't really be that DST would be different from Don't Starve SP because DST has some other features which Don't Starve SP doesn't have: it should be the contrary! When DST will have Caves and stuff, none will play DS anymore: they can make Don't Starve SP WITHIN DST and get even more features! And I bet with modding Ewecus can be disabled if someone doesn't want it!

1. Adventure Mode is one of the best parts of Don't Starve. DST will suffer quite a bit without it. This is silly.

2. Not true. Especially if you want to play with mods. Don't Starve SP's Mod API is a lot better fleshed out than the cobbled together ramshackle remnants that is DST's modding capability atm. It is also worth noting that the code for DST is significantly different than single-player's.

3. Not true at all. It'd be a pain to set up, AND it'd severely limit which mods you can run because so many things would need to be changed to be exactly like DS singleplayer. It's not just tuning values and Ewecuses, mate. Why would I do that when I can just start up DS SP?

Why would I do that when I can just start up DS SP?

Because it would save you $15. Some people still play pirated versions. And honestly $15 could be more than "not bothering to manage DS stuff with DST". Also mods are being translated to DST. Sooner or later a lot of the mods which were/are used for DS SP will be available for DST, I believe.

Because it would save you $15. Some people still play pirated versions. And honestly $15 could be more than "not bothering to manage DS stuff with DST". Also mods are being translated to DST. Sooner or later a lot of the mods which were/are used for DS SP will be available for DST, I believe.

If we're talking piracy, why wouldn't they just pirate DS SP, then? Certainly much easier than trying to get someone to pirate DST's beta. There, now they've saved $15 AND they don't need to fidget around with a lot of mods.

And I must presume you are now talking about people who do not own Don't Starve at all. Honestly, we should be discouraging newcomers from immediately jumping onto DST. Because eventually they'll want to play DST with other people. And make trouble for all of us with their ineptitude at anything more than the most basic principles of the game.

Just because mods will eventually get ported to DST doesn't mean that the old mods should therefore be completely ignored. I mean, come on. Kiopho is still updating RPG Hud, for example.

If we're talking piracy, why wouldn't they just pirate DS SP, then? Certainly much easier than trying to get someone to pirate DST's beta. There, now they've saved $15 AND they don't need to fidget around with a lot of mods.

And I must presume you are now talking about people who do not own Don't Starve at all. Honestly, we should be discouraging newcomers from immediately jumping onto DST. Because eventually they'll want to play DST with other people. And make trouble for all of us with their ineptitude at anything more than the most basic principles of the game.

Just because mods will eventually get ported to DST doesn't mean that the old mods should therefore be completely ignored. I mean, come on. Kiopho is still updating RPG Hud, for example.

Well, I myself haven't player DS SP ever sinse I got into DST beta, so, there's an example for you. I see however some of my friends on steam still playing DS SP, but as I said, when features from DS SP then barely anyone if anyone will play DS SP. Don't you see the problem?

That is your personal preference. I still will very much be enjoying Don't Starve singleplayer after DST is fully released. Tell you what, why don't you add a poll to the OP, and ask the community about this, because i'm questioning the logic you're using, still. Even if DST will end up having everything Don't Starve singleplayer will have, I still think people will pick singleplayer if they want to play singleplayer, because it's less of a hassle.

You said "because you would save $15", but I'm pretty sure if you own one of the games then the other will have a major discount. IIRC a dev said this, but even if not, unless single player is required to buy DST in the first place then there's no good reason they wouldn't do it that way.

First, people will play the Single Player version regardless of whether DST has all of the old Single Player Content or not for a few reasons.

First, Single Player does not have all of the nerfs that DST has.

Second, Offline play, DST does not support Offline play, unlike Single Player.

Third, Single Player will still receive new content in the future.

Also you do realize adding the whole "Pirating the game" thing means nothing right?

Any content released on the internet runs the risk of being pirated, not releasing all the Single Player content just because of Piracy is like Square refusing to release the next FF 14 Patch just because a few players pirated their client.

I don't understand what you're saying. Yes, DST is fun but I don't think people are going to completely abandon the single player. I haven't, even though I usually have a blast playing with other people. I imagine the Adventure Mode (whether or not it's the same or not) will be a lot of fun too. 

Sometimes you just want to do your thing without other people standing there with the fridge open. 

Well, I myself haven't player DS SP ever sinse I got into DST beta, so, there's an example for you. I see however some of my friends on steam still playing DS SP, but as I said, when features from DS SP then barely anyone if anyone will play DS SP. Don't you see the problem?

I introduced my friends to DST at Frontier-Pack release, and out of the 8 guys who have picked it up(granted 4 via gift) 6 of us now own the Base game + ROG. And play DS more frequently than DST.

So i really can't see the problem here, if anything DST is invoking interest in DS.

I introduced my friends to DST at Frontier-Pack release, and out of the 8 guys who have picked it up(granted 4 via gift) 6 of us now own the Base game + ROG. And play DS more frequently than DST.

So i really can't see the problem here, if anything DST is invoking interest in DS.

That's strange in my opinion. because logically people would want to save as much as they can to get maximum experience, right?

That's strange in my opinion. because logically people would want to save as much as they can to get maximum experience, right?

Well kinda, for one there are the features mentioned above that are unique to DS, and the second thing is, that the singleplayer experience on a DST map is not even close to the experience you get in DS. But DST gets trimmed to be multiplayer, like the Damage adjustments and unique mobs and whatever else will come. So the game gets forced in a different way than DS. Leaving room for a better Singleplayer experience in DS. But what i really want to get at is that you cannot buy DST without buying DS. The only way to be able to obtain it without DS is to get it gifted. So i would really ask the sanity of a person tweaking the multiplayer to get the same experience he can get in DS(if this will even be a possiblilty) if he has DS just laying in his steam library.

Also my firends wanted to experience the content that is atm only available in DS, like the Story behind the game and all the ROG changes.

Archived