I was thinking this becomes the portable version when you get better tech, infinite durability but requires gunpowder to fire.

I more simple version could be a 'Smoke Blanket' - Use with a campfire to produce smoke signals.

Requires silk and has a durability; map only pings while player is actively giving smoke signals.

I support this +1

3 gears 2 gold 1 gunpowder

Can be reloaded with gunpowder

Too many gears. If fridge needs only 1 then why flare gun, much smaller than fridge, would need 3? 1 is enough.

I was thinking this becomes the portable version when you get better tech, infinite durability but requires gunpowder to fire.

I more simple version could be a 'Smoke Blanket' - Use with a campfire to produce smoke signals.

Requires silk and has a durability; map only pings while player is actively giving smoke signals.

Good idea... but at the same time it shouldn't be added, like it doesn't suit to DS world.

EDIT: When you think about it, flare gun doesn't suit DS world as well. Unless it will get some special look.

^too OP!

*A more simple version could be a 'Smoke Blanket' - Use with a campfire to produce smoke signals.

Requires silk and has a small durability; map only pings while player is actively giving smoke signals. Fire must be at max size to give off smoke signals.

I made some balance adjustments. 

Too many gears. If fridge needs only 1 then why flare gun, much smaller than fridge, would need 3? 1 is enough.

EDIT: When you think about it, flare gun doesn't suit DS world as well. Unless it will get some special look.

The Ice box only uses 1 gear because it is simply a storage device. An item that can ping all maps is clearly more valuable than this, and deserves to be more expensive.

Don't think it fits the DS world? DON'T THINK IT FITS THE DS WORLD? Look at the ice fling-o-matic. It's pretty future-isitic-y.

Posted Today, 06:42 AM

BeastNips, on 24 Dec 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:snapback.png

^too OP!

*A more simple version could be a 'Smoke Blanket' - Use with a campfire to produce smoke signals.

Requires silk and has a small durability; map only pings while player is actively giving smoke signals. Fire must be at max size to give off smoke signals.

I made some balance adjustments. 

I was keeping in mind that gears aren't as readily available as in RoG, player may consider the item too pricey if it will eventually break. I think the expensive cost to make it and the relatively non-renewable gun powder (pluss the carry space of two items) will give it a big enough downside.

I totally agree about the 'Smoke Blanket'.

I guess this flare should open some map for all players, for example AOE as lightning rod has.

I'm not so sure about opening up the map; I hadn't really thought about it. But it should at least offer a ping and a temporary marker on the map for players to use, even if it's in the shroud.

on the Smoke Blanket thing, which seems better, perhaps it could simply display on the HUD similar to the character arrows that appear. It would have a certain range and would have low durability, or a small display time. That way it keeps the vagueness typical of DS, while adding a nice way to meet with other people.

I was keeping in mind that gears aren't as readily available as in RoG, player may consider the item too pricey if it will eventually break. I think the expensive cost to make it and the relatively non-renewable gunpowder (plus the carry space of two items) will give it a big enough downside.

I was thinking of it having about 15 uses, which is more than enough to get all 6 player's attention.

If you want to do smoke signals it should be  2 wood 3 grass 1 carpet, and then he would do an animation of smoke signaling which pings map. 

If you want something portable like a flare gun it should be more like a staff to be more in line with the overall theme of the game play.  It uses Shadow Manipulator 1 purple gem ~5 living logs and whatever else.  Refuel with nightmare fuel or only x amount of uses.

Archived