Persistent folder for mods

Is it possible to implement some persistent folder for mods, where all the files inside would stay persistent and not rolled back to default via Steam Mods synchronization system?

As I see it:

Mods	SomeMod		ModFolders --These are inconsistent folders			some inconsistent data		Persistent --This is persistent folder			some persistent data		some inconsistent mod files
Inconsistent data means that it will be rerolled back, when mod synchronize with steam.

This is similiar to implemented mod configuration system, but could be used to store data dumps, greater than just some value or string.

Particularry I need this to store the last version of PO file (which is about 2mb), and to update only changed data, instead of forcing people to download 2mb on every change was made.

From the other hand it could be done by adding legal ability to store data in some folder outside mod. It could be folder for all mods at once.

For example Don't Starve Together\Mods\PersistentData

And some legal methods to put/get data to it.

Edited by Some1

@SethR, I described specific use of this above.

I have translation mod (it is toprated mod as for now in DST). And in case of something changes in translation (even one word), I should force people to reupload whole mod data, which is 3.4 megabytes.

I have an idea to make mod, which will translate game to any of the other languages. But in that case it should contain every PO file for all that languages, which are suppose to be supported. And, again, any change of something in translation (for some language, despite user could not use it) will produce new version of that mod (and more megabytes to download for everyone).

At present, I can hide po files to some other path, for example in "data/scripts/languages" (as I did for russian language pack all the time). But this is incorrect way, not legit, dirty. I don't like it, and I'm afraid all the time that you will block it.

What can you suggest?

Edited by Some1

And, looking ahead, I plan to make some interface, that will upload needed po file to that persistent folder, avoinding unwanted bandvich overload. The mod itself will be light and fast. Any translation text changes should not involve mod entity to update.

Edited by Some1

• Developer

@SethR, I described specific use of this above.

I have translation mod (it is toprated mod as for now in DST). And in case of something changes in translation (even one word), I should force people to reupload whole mod data, which is 3.4 megabytes.

I have an idea to make mod, which will translate game to any of the other languages. But in that case it should contain every PO file for all that languages, which are suppose to be supported. And, again, any change of something in translation (for some language, despite user could not use it) will produce new version of that mod (and more megabytes to download for everyone).

At present, I can hide po files to some other path, for example in "data/scripts/languages" (as I did for russian language pack all the time). But this is incorrect way, not legit, dirty. I don't like it, and I'm afraid all the time that you will block it.

What can you suggest?

Gah, my bad! Didn't read all the way to the end. Apologies.

Now that I understand more fully what you're looking for, I believe @rezecib to be correct (though maybe @PeterA can confirm)--the functionality you're looking for is pretty counter to the way that the workshop subscription model works right now, which is outside of our control. Perhaps that will change in the future, though.

@SethR, I know, I know, but i just suggested to make it in another way.

From the other hand it could be done by adding us legal ability to store data in some folder outside of the mod. It could be folder for all mods at once.
For example Don't Starve Together\Mods\PersistentData

And some legal methods to put/get data to it.