[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

Well i managed to make it not crash anymore. I've started to edit the images in the exported folder, but it doesn't seem to have any effect in game or in the spriter. i tried autocompiling it and everything but the new images won't show.

Edit: silly me forgot to compile it in single player, I do need to do this for every change to show for some reason despite the guide saying I don't need to

Edited by maff271

@Dleowolf When I tried to start the game, it showed the whole mod notification thing and I clicked "I Understand" and thegame crashes with "dontstarve_steam.exe has stopped working"I only changed all the names and some speech. What do I do? ;-;

Nevermind :p

Edited by WalrusMan

Now I have it working a with no crashes, I should have the art done soon. Anyone know where I can find tutorials on the perks for my character? I'm thinking of making another robot and want to know how to code upgrades like Wx-78 but with different items and effects. Thanks!

I can send my files. I made sure every capitalization was the same way the esctemplate was typed. Every time it was capital, I capslocked it, and every time it was lowercase, I made sure not to capitalize the first letter. I figured it would be capitalization too, and went back through and checked everything. I fixed one or two caps errors, but the same problem persists. Should I post my files?

By the way, aside from my idiocy and not-knowing-how-to-do-things-correctly-ness, Thank you very much for your walkthrough/tutorial. It might be something small to you, but it's really appreciated on my end. So thank you, again, and thank you in advance for any help you can offer me to get this all sorted out.

Now I'm just stuck with my bigportrait and my character selection image being way off for some reason. I used the same template that was provided to make them, so it can't be a size/dimension issue-- and I did the tex tool thing so that they show up in game. They're just off center and cropped looking. Dunno how to fix that.

Did my best to fix it, and I just can't get the pictures to work. This is what it looks like. Any idea why it's doing this, even though I used the same template provided, and exported it with the same tex tool suggested? Do I need to resize the pictures to be smaller? I don't know how else I'd go about fixing this.
I finally fixed her images, not fully, but close enough.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure my mod is ready, other than maybe someday a custom animation finding out how to give her Willow's animations and lighter, and a full rewrite of her script.
anhb4n.png

Edited by Lolabuns

Did my best to fix it, and I just can't get the pictures to work. This is what it looks like. Any idea why it's doing this, even though I used the same template provided, and exported it with the same tex tool suggested? Do I need to resize the pictures to be smaller? I don't know how else I'd go about fixing this. Other than that, I'm pretty sure my mod is ready, other than maybe someday a custom animation, and a full rewrite of her script.

anhb4n.png

I have not suggested exporting images other than the mod icon to be exported with TEXTool. Textures in the bigportraits and images folders are usually exported by the autocompiler.

• Like 1

I messed up the prefab. No idea what is wrong, but I just want her to basically be a copy of Willow's playstyle. Her lighter, her nervous pyro habits, etc. I must be really stupid. It seems like everyone else knows exactly how to do all of this, and I'm over here like "wait where does this go"
I don't know if you could help, but here's my coding just in case you can:

local MakePlayerCharacter = require "prefabs/player_common"

local assets = {

Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_basic.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_idles_shiver.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_axe.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_pickaxe.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_shovel.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_blowdart.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_eat.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_item.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_uniqueitem.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_bugnet.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_fishing.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_actions_boomerang.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_bush_hat.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_attacks.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_idles.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_rebirth.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_jump.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_amulet_resurrect.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_teleport.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/wilson_fx.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/player_one_man_band.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/shadow_hands.zip" ),
        Asset( "SOUND", "sound/sfx.fsb" ),
        Asset( "SOUND", "sound/willow.fsb" ),

Asset( "ANIM", "anim/lola.zip" ),
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/ghost_lola_build.zip" ),
}
local prefabs = { "willowfire",
    "lighter",}
local start_inv = {"lighter",
-- Custom starting items
}

-- This initializes for both clients and the host
local common_postinit = function(inst) 
-- choose which sounds this character will play
inst.soundsname = "wendy"

-- Minimap icon
inst.MiniMapEntity:SetIcon( "lola.tex" )
end

local function sanityfn(inst)
local x,y,z = inst.Transform:GetWorldPosition()
local delta = 0
local max_rad = 10
local ents = TheSim:FindEntities(x,y,z, max_rad, {"fire"})
    for k,v in pairs(ents) do 
    if v.components.burnable and v.components.burnable.burning then
    local sz = TUNING.SANITYAURA_TINY
    local rad = v.components.burnable:GetLargestLightRadius() or 1
    sz = sz * ( math.min(max_rad, rad) / max_rad )
local distsq = inst:GetDistanceSqToInst(v)
delta = delta + sz/math.max(1, distsq)
    end
    end

return delta
end

-- This initializes for the host only
local master_postinit = function(inst)
-- Stats
inst.components.health:SetMaxHealth(150)
inst.components.hunger:SetMax(150)
inst.components.sanity:SetMax(200)
inst:AddComponent("firebug")
inst.components.firebug.prefab = "willowfire"
inst.components.health.fire_damage_scale = 0
inst.components.sanity:SetMax(TUNING.LOLA_SANITY)

inst.components.sanity.custom_rate_fn = sanityfn
end

return MakePlayerCharacter("lola", prefabs, assets, common_postinit, master_postinit, start_inv)

I messed up the prefab. No idea what is wrong, but I just want her to basically be a copy of Willow's playstyle. Her lighter, her nervous pyro habits, etc. I must be really stupid. It seems like everyone else knows exactly how to do all of this, and I'm over here like "wait where does this go"

I don't know if you could help, but here's my coding just in case you can:

I'm assuming TUNING.LOLA_SANITY is not declared. Also, there's already a line that sets max sanity a few lines up.

• Like 1

It fixed, I think, so I decided to upload her for now, as is, onto the workshop. Hopefully someday, I'll figure out how to make her a few "follower" kittens that can help her in various ways-- but until then, she's just a Willow copy with different art.
Thank you so much for your tutorial. Without you, I wouldn't be able to make this mod to play as, with my fiance.

Yo Dleo, leme start by saying that you are a real hero and a real human bean! Thanks a lot for your tutorial and your hard work on the sample mod! 

Now for my question! I am trying to bring a chocobo custom charecter to DST and I have gotten to the art phase of the process, and I could not help but notice that you implemented a tail in the charecter, as well as ears! This is hugely cool because chocobos have tails and ear-like crest feathers! Picture time!

1419626370.spotteh_samplewark.png

As you can see, in the frontal and the profile pics, Wark the chocobo has a series of crest feathers on her head, a pair of cheek feathers, and a five pointed feathery tail; better seen in this back photo:

1419626679.spotteh_sample_back.png

Sorry the sketches don't sync up super well, they were all free hand on my tablet.

But as you can see, it probably would make use of the tail, ear, and hair layers of your custom character, but my understanding is that it will have to modify the connection points, right? Now, I have never made a mod ever before, and I started work on your tutorial about 8 hours ago, spending most of that 8 hours working on the speech file! I haven't the faintest on how to go about moving the sockets! Do you have a tutorial on how to do this?

I know I have a few more questions I really don't know how to ask yet, but this is the one that titillates me the most, because previously the crest was going to be dinky tiny and on the torso layer (like the guy who made the chica fnaf character.)

I hope you can help a bird out, man!

Yo Dleo, leme start by saying that you are a real hero and a real human bean! Thanks a lot for your tutorial and your hard work on the sample mod! 

Now for my question! I am trying to bring a chocobo custom charecter to DST and I have gotten to the art phase of the process, and I could not help but notice that you implemented a tail in the charecter, as well as ears! This is hugely cool because chocobos have tails and ear-like crest feathers! Picture time!

1419626370.spotteh_samplewark.png

As you can see, in the frontal and the profile pics, Wark the chocobo has a series of crest feathers on her head, a pair of cheek feathers, and a five pointed feathery tail; better seen in this back photo:

1419626679.spotteh_sample_back.png

Sorry the sketches don't sync up super well, they were all free hand on my tablet.

But as you can see, it probably would make use of the tail, ear, and hair layers of your custom character, but my understanding is that it will have to modify the connection points, right? Now, I have never made a mod ever before, and I started work on your tutorial about 8 hours ago, spending most of that 8 hours working on the speech file! I haven't the faintest on how to go about moving the sockets! Do you have a tutorial on how to do this?

I know I have a few more questions I really don't know how to ask yet, but this is the one that titillates me the most, because previously the crest was going to be dinky tiny and on the torso layer (like the guy who made the chica fnaf character.)

I hope you can help a bird out, man!

I've given plenty of space in the hair area, so I don't see that being much of a problem.

Though, it's the tail that seems will be tricky. It seems possible, but it's likely going to require quite a bit of modification to the template.

The tail is divided into six segments, though for your character, it seems that only one segment would be needed. Therefore you would only need tail-0 (normal) and tail-6 (skeleton).

You'll likely need to change the dimensions and pivots for both of these by editing the .scml with a text editor. The pivots is what defines the position of each part. A pivot of 0 would be at one edge of the image, 1 at the opposite edge, and 0.5 at the center. For my example, I've increased the dimensions to a 300 by 300 square, and set the pivot to the exact center of the image.

<folder id="14" name="tail">        <file id="0" name="tail/tail-0.png" width="300" height="300" pivot_x="0.5" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="1" name="tail/tail-1.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="2" name="tail/tail-2.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="3" name="tail/tail-3.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="4" name="tail/tail-4.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="5" name="tail/tail-5.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="6" name="tail/tail-6.png" width="300" height="300" pivot_x="0.5" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="7" name="tail/tail-7.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="8" name="tail/tail-8.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="9" name="tail/tail-9.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="10" name="tail/tail-10.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>        <file id="11" name="tail/tail-11.png" width="250" height="100" pivot_x="0.628" pivot_y="0.5"/>    </folder>

The tail looks the same from all views, which could look weird from the side. But I'll leave that for you to decide.

YtGJvqt.png?1

tail test.zip

Hi! I was wondering if there was anywhere in your amazing template (I have already made 3 characters with it so far) where one would put sprites for were-critters?

I am making a were-turkey for when you eat too many berries, but right now, well, it just crashes the game when you transform due to a lack of assets.

Edit:

I am a derp, I think I figured it out

I compiled two different sprites, and have the code to call each one depending on whether the character is transformed or not.

Edited by Nyogtha

Thanks for this nice template, works really well for me.

Only problem I have is that I don't know how/where to get the auto compiler/mod tool thing? I need it because just like Lolabuns my portraits get cut off in weird angles if I use TextTool to compile the pictures myself.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for this nice template, works really well for me.

Only problem I have is that I don't know how/where to get the auto compiler/mod tool thing? I need it because just like Lolabuns my portraits get cut off in weird angles if I use TextTool to compile the pictures myself.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry I don't know how to edit my own post.

Wanted to say my friend found out where to get the tool. Steam->Hover over library->tools.

It works perfectly now.

• Like 1