I'm of the mind that nonrenewable resources has always been a bit of a thorn in Don't Starve's craw, especially given how you can lose them due to no fault of your own. That said, I definitely agree with anyone who says that the "pinch" that comes from wanting and needing to preserve those resources is a major part of the DS flavor and that the game loses a lot if its world isn't unyielding. I don't have any real suggestion to offer beyond that there is a middle ground that shouldn't go ignored -- impractically renewable carries a lot of the same heft and gravity that nonrenewable does without the horrible sinking feeling that comes with knowing you'll never be able to fix that which was broken.

Also? Something has to be done about Willow. I'm sorry, but I offer no compromise here. When your character's drawback has the potential to exponentially punish everyone on the server, that is the very definition of Disproportionate Retribution. DST with an unaltered Willow is essentially DS minus one of its iconic characters since any server operator with any sense whatsoever will ban her from the outset. Someone suggested that Willow should instead experience intense temperature drops when at low sanity -- this would double as a great change that'd make her more attractive a character choice for high-level RoG players due to her becoming a fantastic character for beating the summer heat.

Quite all right to not have much to offer, I'm redoing the entire post again as stated in the last post that I had just made.

Nonrenewable is supposed to be just that though. Something that you lose and never get back.

Grass, saplings, and bushes are okay for the most part because you can get more over time, fertilizing for the resources. It makes them good but just in the overall sense these should be unreasonably hard since you can have them always. Reeds are a worrisome thing because not many even spawn in the world and in DST, if you have Wickerbottom and even Maxwell, papyrus is needed more than just having booster shots. Papyrus can be the biggest pain in the butt.

Rocks needed a way to be resupplied, you can't keep them around and get them infinitely, you got a set amount, that was it. You would have to go to the caves for the rest of the time and in DST there are no caves, so rocks were just gone. So that one, I can understand completely. These are more on a rare chance to keep it from being exploited because you can have them there. It's more in dire cases if you need to replenish the world or something. :p

As for Willow, it's not even the character. The character isn't doing anything that she wasn't programmed to.

No, the problem are the people who decide to exploit her. What we need is a way of keeping track of the griefers and trolls, but in a secluded way. A way of taking small videos and having evidence and all to ban the person forever, a set amount of time, or from playing the character at all.

People who are like that literally enjoy seeing you in pain and giving them reigns to cause havoc and giving them attention just means that it will get worse.

Bases should never be by spawn so that way the host or a trusted friend can go run by and evaluate the player. A list of names will need to be kept by all and every host of a server so that these people cannot enjoy the pain they cause.

Willow and Wolfgang are still in need of some major tweaking, they can be exploited and can cause trouble for players in multiplayer, especially early game.(and sometimes later game, as soon as seasons hit)

Maybe not entirely major, but just something to help them become more playable for people.

@Some1, with that logic, all servers will always have a specific number of world generated non-renewables from the first world generation, right? I can see how this would seem to work, but the only effort you have to put into this is just find the newly generated non-renewables. 

Seems somewhat exploitable though, if you don't necessary like the positioning of the reeds, you can just burn them, and wait for the game to generate another reed somewhere else, and hopefully in a better spot.

Sadly, I have nothing else to suggest. I'm sorry.

On the other hand it can be justified from the standpoint of large servers, which plays 20 or more players. All non-renewable items plainly HAVE TO be renewable. Otherwise server will die after a while.

Why do you think you should put more efforts on them?

To ajust the difficulty we can add some time penalty on respawning item. A day, for instance.

@Some1, a little bit more effort to getting new non-renewables will help make it feel more worthwhile to regain your grass/sapling/berry farms. Like I've stated before I have nothing to suggest that will actually make it so that you would end up putting in extra effort in getting the newly generated non-renewables.

You only said outside of all player's screen boundaries, and would these newly generated non-renewables be instantaneous? Thinking about it more now about extra effort, instead of the limits being only outside all player's screen boundaries I suggest that the newly generated non-renewables spawn on an entirely different biome but of the same biome type.

And on the part about large servers with more than 20 players, I guess this type for world re-generation would definitely work. I was only thinking about small servers when I replied cause that's all I've experienced so far, and that's my fault. Sorry.

You only said outside of all player's screen boundaries, and would these newly generated non-renewables be instantaneous? Thinking about it more now about extra effort, instead of the limits being only outside all player's screen boundaries I suggest that the newly generated non-renewables spawn on an entirely different biome but of the same biome type.

It could not be instananeous. Items could appear with certain time penalty, which makes it harder to exploit.

And yes, talking about certain biome i mean that case, when rock cant spawn in the swam biome. I just mean that new item should spawn everywhere, where it's possible (by the rules of the world generation), but only outside of the players screen boundaries (just to avoid unnatural item appearing out of nothing).

Archived