Telltale Heart balancing.

Currently, if one of your pals dies, you can cut out some of yourself to create a Telltale Heart, and give it to them for an instant revival.  the Heart is incredibly easy to make, requiring only some grass and a small portion of your health bar.  So long as you have someone there alive, making hearts, revival is no problem at all.  Dying isn't even a threat anymore. 

So, here's my suggestion.  Since the name of this item suggests it's your heart you're cutting out, why doesn't it kill you instantly?  The answer is it should.  The Heart should still be easy to make, but will require a serious sacrifice on the other player's part; upon crafting it, they die.  The Heart falls on the ground, and upon the ghost haunting it they resurrect.

This turns death back into a legitimate threat, since you can't just give someone life for little to no consequence.  Instead, players will have to make tough choices; would you sacrifice yourself for a friend?

This idea needs some serious work, I know, but I just wanted to share it with you.

Okay, but then wouldn't it just keep going on and on in a cycle if someone were to die every time they crafted a heart? It'd be back-and-forth over and over again until someone manages to find another resurrection tool, and even then the touch stones/amulets/effigies are limited.

Okay, but then wouldn't it just keep going on and on in a cycle if someone were to die every time they crafted a heart? It'd be back-and-forth over and over again until someone manages to find another resurrection tool, and even then the touch stones/amulets/effigies are limited.

That's the point.  I'm not sure if you've ever played DST, but if you have for any extended period of time you probably know that death is more a minor inconvenience than a threat.  If saving your comrade meant sacrificing yourself, I think people would think twice a lot more before crafting a Telltale Heart.

That, or we could just make the recipe harder.

I thought the point of it was you could craft it and revive, but due to the health penalties that you can't regain, after a certain number of revives you won't be able to be brought back, so there is a bit of risk involved. Unless you start to work on booster shots, which are a bit harder to make. 

I think the idea of it was to make a decent way to revive especially for newcomer's (as they wanted all variations playing beta, they wanted the "pro" and the "newbies" if you will, playing) to be able to play/beta test. My thinking, anyway.

For me, especially with some lag I can easily get injured from the start, so even being able to craft the hearts can be a challenge. I sometimes have to work on gaining more health first, depending on my luck and lag I ran into prior. I mean thinking about the lag, some servers I just can't fight period, without dying. It was quite embarrassing dying to a few hounds :( For me personally, I can be just fine with lag on a server, but some activity happens and boom lagged up a storm, can't run or dodge normally and *BAM* dead.. Other times I've been able to make plenty, but with teammates dying a ga-zillion times you have to worry about them being brought back and work on those boosters. But that's just my experience.

I don't know if they'll make it a bit harder to make later on, I thought I read somewhere about that being mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if it was only temporary. But for now I think it makes sense. At least to me.

I could of sworn I heard of a plan on making it a bit harder to craft. But I don't know. :indecisiveness:

No one would ever use your version of the telltale heart, because it serves no purpose.

Two friends trying to play together don't benefit from just switching which one is alive.

Losing your max health is crippling. Enough deaths and you can have 30 max health, which really limits what you can do.

Telltale hearts could be more resource demanding, but honestly the fact that you need to get expensive booster shots later balalnces them out.

Considering the story it's named from, I thought it'd be cool if making one would totally fry your sanity. Cause you know the Poe tale...and the whole sanity meter in game. Till I watched playthroughs I just swore that's what it did. I noticed people seem to make em even before a teammate dies yet. Just simply carrying the thing should kill sanity just like standing near evil flowers. Fair price to pay for an item with that name. Again when I fist heard of it I just knew that's what it already did. It's just a "the first thing that comes to mind" kinda idea. Weird that it doesn't really work that way. It's not a crime to adhere to the obvious, especially when it's a good thing!

*shrug* I like the idea anywho. Add that with someone's suggestion on here to see your teammates as monsters when insane as a bonus.

>:3 Now that'd be just delightfully fun.

Where are you getting that the item implies they take out their own heart? The descriptions reads "sucks your blood to revive a ghostly", I don't see how that's ripping out your own heart, lol. They've gone on record to say that the telltale heart recipe is not going to stay that way. They're just trying to figure out what to do with it.

No one would ever use your version of the telltale heart, because it serves no purpose.

Two friends trying to play together don't benefit from just switching which one is alive.

Losing your max health is crippling. Enough deaths and you can have 30 max health, which really limits what you can do.

Telltale hearts could be more resource demanding, but honestly the fact that you need to get expensive booster shots later balalnces them out.

They're not expensive at all.

They're not expensive at all.

They did change the recipe though, it now requires health, grass, and a spider gland.

This is somewhat punishing for the early deaths, since there is a big possibility that you will not have found any spider gland so far. The spider glands are also now much more important, as they are a source of 1) healing, 2) revival, and 3) max health fixing with the booster shots.

I think it's more balanced now with that component. To be honest, spider glands were outclassed in RoG by honey poultices, but they now have a vital role in both early game and late game, which is fantastic!

The health penalty really shouldn't get negated by armor, though. Last I checked, my friend took only 15 or 16 damage making a Telltale heart with their logsuit on.

I didn't know it was, if it is, then I totally agree that it shouldn't ! It's a ressource cost and I don't see why you should take less damage when wearing an armor! =)

They did change the recipe though, it now requires health, grass, and a spider gland.

This is somewhat punishing for the early deaths, since there is a big possibility that you will not have found any spider gland so far. The spider glands are also now much more important, as they are a source of 1) healing, 2) revival, and 3) max health fixing with the booster shots.

I think it's more balanced now with that component. To be honest, spider glands were outclassed in RoG by honey poultices, but they now have a vital role in both early game and late game, which is fantastic!

I was talking about booster shoot, but whatever :)

Just wanted to add it now needs a spider gland, as previously mentioned. But also they added this in the last hotfix:

• Make haunted spiders always drop glands.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/45441-hotfix-119400-12042014/

So, this could help with early on deaths.

The health penalty really shouldn't get negated by armor, though. Last I checked, my friend took only 15 or 16 damage making a Telltale heart with their logsuit on.

I'm thinking this might be a bug? And not intended.

Archived