[Gameplay] - The Deerclops is a ninja.

The Letter W

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: The Deerclops is a ninja.

Issue Description: We were mostly through our second winter, hadn't had too many mishaps. Honestly we were thinking it was pretty easily. There were five of us huddled around the campfire (the sixth player/host was out in a swamp somewhere) when only our WX-78 player gives a warning that a large attacker is coming.

I recognize this as the warning for the Deerclops and tell people to get out of the camp, only to take a couple steps to the left and find him there already. I don't think I've ever beelined it for a wormhole faster in my life. :p

We were using Rezecib's More DST Characters mod, but that was all. In the first spawn, WX-78 and Willow were both in the area, but only WX-78 commented.

This also happened in the third winter when it was only myself and the host, in which still only one character was giving off a warning. The Deerclops' heavy breathing was heard by the host only in the second instance.

Steps to Reproduce: Create a server with more than two people

Wait until winter, preferably second or third.

Wait for Deerclops to spawn.

Observe its ninja-like entrance.

Related to this, as far as I know only the host hears the warnings (scratchy breathing/growling). Was that the case for you there, too?

For the first spawning I never heard a thing. I was actually out gathering resources at the time, not in the swamp.

They were all just talking around the fire and I never heard his warning call, nor did I ever give off the warning from my character.(Wickerbottom)

The second instance I only got one warning as it spawned, I was lucky enough to have heard the breathing prior when I had so we could flee camp.

Not entirely sure why I only heard it the second time, both instances I had enough sanity I could still hear everything around me. Very strange.

EDIT:: Top this off, the first time we had deerclops in DST, W was hosting and after a while(and actually listening) I was able to hear the hissing. So I think this is just a bug in the system currently.

Related to this, as far as I know only the host hears the warnings (scratchy breathing/growling). Was that the case for you there, too?

Yeah, I think so. I never heard anything at all either time. I found it strange that only one character out of five in the immediate area said anything.

• Developer

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Yes, there's indeed an issue with DeerClops, and I will try to address it in the near future.

To add my 2c, I think it's not so much the host or client hearing the sound (and voicing a warning), it is 1 random player. So when you play alone, you'll hear it, when with two you have about a 50% chance of being warned and with more players you're basically playing Mark of the Deerclops.

Kaj :-)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Yes, there's indeed an issue with DeerClops, and I will try to address it in the near future.

To add my 2c, I think it's not so much the host or client hearing the sound (and voicing a warning), it is 1 random player. So when you play alone, you'll hear it, when with two you have about a 50% chance of being warned and with more players you're basically playing Mark of the Deerclops.

Kaj :-)

tumblr_nfbyxnAa5B1rxcc5ho1_1280.png

Wilson was the unlucky one who didn't get a warning.

Happened to my as well, was playing with my cousin, first winter, no deerclops encountered, second winter, my characther gets the alert and I hear the sound, 3 secs later, he's inside our big base(merged with a pig village) destroying our walls and buildings, did not expect him to be that freakin' fast D:

Forgot to say that he also vanished like a ninja in the middle of the night, we booked it when he was there, attracting his attention of course to avoid him destroying all our base, 10 seconds later, he despawns with no reason at all, and no, winter was not about to be done(14 days in when he spawned).

Forgot to say that he also vanished like a ninja in the middle of the night, we booked it when he was there, attracting his attention of course to avoid him destroying all our base, 10 seconds later, he despawns with no reason at all, and no, winter was not about to be done(14 days in when he spawned).

Yeah, somehow all giants do that honestly.

One second they're there, you blink, they vanish~~~~

Maxwell's magic show of death on a grand scale if you ask me

Also in querie to the despawning, did anyone happen to find the Winter Trap Set Piece??

(and activate said trap)

The fridge, chest and thermometer thing

Yeah, somehow all giants do that honestly.

One second they're there, you blink, they vanish~~~~

Maxwell's magic show of death on a grand scale if you ask me

Also in querie to the despawning, did anyone happen to find the Winter Trap Set Piece??

(and activate said trap)

The fridge, chest and thermometer thing

Didn't find that set piece, it seems that it can crash people's game, going back to deerclops, yeah, I know that giants sometimes "vanish", but no if they're right in your face, I mean, he was probably 10 feets away when he dissappeared, that doesn't happen in Don't Starve.

Hmmmm...

Not sure what's causing your issue then, sorry about that. Did you bug report this?

It seems to be a different issue than what's happened to us.

The Winter Trap will crash you if the Deerclops spawns, otherwise you're fine. 50/50 chance though.

Archived