Stable spawning point

I've been hosting an open server for a couple of days now (100+ ingame days).

I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended but the spawning point of new players is changing after a while.

I have to keep setting up new fireplace at the spawning point so newcomers don't freeze to death if they join in winter.

My suggestion is for the host to be able to choose a point where all new players will spawn. Crafted or not it would be really appreciated.

• Developer

From the code it looks like it's supposed to be stable, so if it's changing right now I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

Indeed. I'll add it to my list!

Raccoon Superhero The Letter W can either of you provide any additional details as to when you're seeing it change from one location to another? Does it happen within a session, or only after shutting down the server and starting it back up? Anything else you can think of that might be relevant would be helpful as well.

Raccoon Superhero The Letter W can either of you provide any additional details as to when you're seeing it change from one location to another? Does it happen within a session, or only after shutting down the server and starting it back up? Anything else you can think of that might be relevant would be helpful as well.

Ah... I think it's after I've restarted the server, but it's not an every time thing. It happened last night, the first two guys that joined me spawned in the regular spot (where I had set up stuff), but after I crashed my own server with the % symbol, the next people who joined spawned in an area I hadn't even explored yet; I had to reveal the entire map just to figure out where the heck they were. Thankfully it was summer.

I've seen this happen on my server with less than 30 days and been on servers with 100+ days that has not.

On my private one, it still happened on day 135 or so. I almost want to say it has to do with how many different people have joined the server, but I can't say for certain because I've only hosted 2.

After returning to the server. 

I also Have had this problem with just about every server I started.  One thing that I've been doing is building stuff in close proximity or on top of the spawn in point.  After I log out and return the spawn in point has moved.  In all cases the spawn in point eventually stabilizes and remains a single point but by then its too late.  I dont really want to have to log in log out wait for people to spawn log in log out wait for spawn just to figure out where everyone will spawn in.  As far as I know it has never happened during a session and it has happened as early as day 6 for me. 

Spawn Locations:

I would like to see some options.

Fixed single spawn location.

I believe this is the intended and current implementation where all players spawn in the exact same location every time. This can be great for cooperative games and for setting up a starter comfort base in case of winter joins. This could be horrible with a griefer camping the spawn point, destroying that base and any resources in reachable distance or filling the area with PVP traps. This is ideal for an easy friend coop game.

Fixed multiple spawn location.

Each player having their own spawn location and not knowing the others would make grief more difficult and add a little challenge to the initial game. It may make it more difficult for hostile climate joins.

Random spawn location.

Each player joining spawns in a random location. This eliminates spawn camping completely. On every connection, including reconnects, clear the player's map, and spawn them in a new random location. If they were previously in, they should have dropped everything on disconnect. If they rejoin quickly, allow them to reconnect where they previously disconnected (this covers unplanned network issues or crashes and lets them recollect their possessions). If the location is the same, then retain map exploration. Allow players to copy map exploration onto a creatable map item that can be given to others and used to gain a snapshot of another player's map exploration.

Spawn on Host or Team.

For cooperative games, this potentially resolves the winter join issue. All joining players spawn on or near the host, or for team/PVP games, near their team leader or a team member.

PVP should be a Boolean (True/False) server option.

Safe PVP spawn

New connections spawn away from PVP enemies, either by a given radius (regenerate random location if it is less than N from any enemy) or calculate a farthest distance from enemies (general area) and spawn there. The latter could also be done by dividing the map into a 2D grid of cells and simply selecting a cell randomly with no enemies in it, then a random location within that cell. Repeat process until a valid location is found.

Team Item Spawn

Add a constructible item like the resurrection platforms found. Each team may have 1 built concurrently, or have a max health or sanity reduction trade for each currently present, like the meat effigy. A new connection from that team spawns at the structure. The structure may be consumed by use. An alternative, allow one structure per team member and choose one of them randomly for new connections to spawn at.

Consumption of these mixed with otherwise random spawn locations gives a great advantage to teams and players who maintain them. It can also create a target for opposed players to destroy.

A couple travel options to consider as alternatives or additions; either may break the game though:

Portals

One or more pairs of portals for immediate travel between two fixed locations, or a single portal with a fixed destination. Mobs should be able to follow players through, if not able to wander through themselves.

Summoning Circle

Enable players to summon others to it. Summoned should have option to resist or outright refuse. This could easily become an exploit to avoid starvation or death from other hostilities. It would require severe limits or high cost to build and single uses.

Archived