Has anyone dared to enable a mod or try to?

I am going to right now. I'll edit when my results come in.

Doing it through forcedenable so I don't need a mods menu.

My honest first thought was "How will they know if it's because of the mod or the dst beta"

But I suppose there would be crash logs.

My honest first thought was "How will they know if it's because of the mod or the dst beta"

But I suppose there would be crash logs.

Oh, pyh, I don't really care if it crashes, that is why you start out with just a basic character, no nothing.

APPARENTLY, there is a list of characters you can play as now. Everything is ready for implementation, it's just that none of the characters exist the way I want them to.

I cannot find the DST characterlist that is referred to in DLC002 so that I can enable mo- I just had an idea.

I am going to right now. I'll edit when my results come in.

Doing it through forcedenable so I don't need a mods menu.

I'm trying to do the same thing with some general UI mods, but I can't seem to get ForceEnableMod to work. What string do you need to give it? I've tried the folder name and the name of the mod in its modinfo.lua. Not sure what to try next...

I managed to get Minimap HUD, Always On Status, and Assisted Geometry working. I had to modify all of them -- ModConfig stuff doesn't work at all right now, so you have to hard code values, and then functions that require specific timing had to have their hooks redone:

from

AddSimPostInit( AddMiniMap )

to something like

local function OnPlayerSpawned(inst, player)    inst:ListenForEvent("setowner", inst:DoTaskInTime(0, AddMiniMap, player))endAddPrefabPostInit("forest",function(inst)inst:ListenForEvent("ms_playerspawned", OnPlayerSpawned)end)

Specific to Always On Status, I had to remove the naughtiness stuff because it's not in DST yet.

Edit: these hooks don't seem to fully work when you're the client, but they don't crash, either.

I managed to get Minimap HUD, Always On Status, and Assisted Geometry working. I had to modify all of them -- ModConfig stuff doesn't work at all right now, so you have to hard code values, and then functions that require specific timing had to have their hooks redone:

from

AddSimPostInit( AddMiniMap )

to something like

local function OnPlayerSpawned(inst, player)    inst:ListenForEvent("setowner", inst:DoTaskInTime(0, AddMiniMap, player))endAddPrefabPostInit("forest",function(inst)inst:ListenForEvent("ms_playerspawned", OnPlayerSpawned)end)

Specific to Always On Status, I had to remove the naughtiness stuff because it's not in DST yet.

Awesome! Good to know that the only two mods I use are working already!

I'm really curious, could you get more inventory space, or is that server side? if you want to try modding one of the rpg hud mods or something, I'd be interested to see the results

Awesome! Good to know that the only two mods I use are working already!

I'm really curious, could you get more inventory space, or is that server side? if you want to try modding one of the rpg hud mods or something, I'd be interested to see the results

Inventory space is definitely server-side. When I tried connecting as a client I got my first crash when Assisted Geometry tried to access the inventory to see if it was placing a wall. So accessing the inventory at all, in any way, is probably not going to work for mods at the moment, and when/if it does work, it will be because Klei added ways for mods to communicate between client and server.

Inventory space is definitely server-side. When I tried connecting as a client I got my first crash when Assisted Geometry tried to access the inventory to see if it was placing a wall. So accessing the inventory at all, in any way, is probably not going to work for mods at the moment, and when/if it does work, it will be because Klei added ways for mods to communicate between client and server.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

If you want to put your DST assisted geometry and always on HUD somewhere, I'm sure people would be thankful, as long as you credited the original authors or something.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

If you want to put your DST assisted geometry and always on HUD somewhere, I'm sure people would be thankful, as long as you credited the original authors or something.

I'm working on getting them to work when I'm the client, but once I get that done I'll definitely post them somewhere. Hopefully it will be helpful to their creators when it comes time to update them for DST officially :)

Right now AssistedGeometry works on the client without the wall placement fix, and AlwaysOnStatus partially works -- it doesn't show the temperature. MinimapHUD doesn't seem to work at all. Both of the not-working parts were using the new hooks I wrote, so I'm guessing the events don't work the same way on the client.

Does the server need to run the mods for the client players having them work? 

Depends on the mods. For AlwaysOnStatus and MinimapHUD, those work regardless of whether clients/hosts have them, although you can't see your temperature as a client, because that's not information you get from the server, as far as I can tell.

AssistedGeometry doesn't seem to work properly as a client, although it provides the grid to snap to, things don't seem to actually place along them. It works as the host, though. Not sure if having the host have it on would fix it for the client, as I haven't gotten anyone else to get it working yet.

I was also testing/fixing the Coraline character mod with Dryicefox; for that, everyone needs the mods. If clients don't have it, then they can't see Coraline, or even see her chat, I think. Not sure what happens if you use it as a client on a normal server, but it can't be good. At best, you'll get a cosmetic change and nothing else, but I would expect it to either crash or just not let you select the character.

Archived