Question about lore and design decisions

I have played this game way back in the early days (when it was still called Incognita) and have only now picked it up again. So if this has already been answered before, I apologize.

My question is the following: 

Currently, there is no way to buy equipment between missions. Everything: guns, ammo, etc., has to be stolen from the corporations. Why is that? Is there a backstory to it? I have a hard time imagining a world where it is impossible to buy ammo and medkits...

If it is simply a design decision with no deeper meaning to it, how does everybody feel about it? For me, it feels a little artificial. I have no problem with experimental technology only being available via stealing (like body enhancements, for example) but I cannot wrap my head around the fact that no basic supplies can be bought between missions.

I am thinking about X-Com here, where buying the right equipment was a part of the strategy which I enjoyed.

The idea is that the agents are jetting (or whatever form of aerial transport they use) from place to place, they're trying to get as much done in the next 72 hours as possible and can't stop to poke around for equipment on the black market (those bullets are unregistered). It kind of makes sense from a gameplay perspective as well because if you could buy stuff between missions there'd be less incentive to look for nanofabs on levels or take the Nanofab Vestibule missions.

That said, I'd be surprised if Klei didn't implement more things to spend your money on between missions.

Yeah, what Jim said. The way I understood it was: they're a tiny & tight espionage group in a Shadowrun-esque future where giant corporations run the show, and what's the best way to stay out of sight? To stay off records.

You don't put guns and EMPs on a credit card, since that would most certainly flag them with the corps, and since these corps seem to have them just lying around, stolen hardware is preferred. I mean it's what they're hired to do, anyway.

Plus the game starts on the clock, so they don't have time to go shopping between flights. Standard issue is what you get, anything else found in the field is a perk.

My question is the following: 

Currently, there is no way to buy equipment between missions. Everything: guns, ammo, etc., has to be stolen from the corporations. Why is that? Is there a backstory to it? I have a hard time imagining a world where it is impossible to buy ammo and medkits...

My answer is - we're testing but a part of the game and there is no real backstory. Most likely they don't want to put unfinished features into Early Access. We did have base, multiple floors, etc. in alpha, so I imagine they are putting stuff together and release it once it'll be ready to be played.

• Developer

I agree! One of the major focus points during the Early Access will be making this feel less like a jumble of gamey design decisions and more like a living, breathing world. 

For a small peek behind the curtain -- basically yes, this is a world completely controlled by corporations that function as governments. You are one of the very few struggling operators and agents that have managed to stay or become off-grid during this global takeover, and it's absolutely imperative you stay that way. You can't risk purchasing supplies in the greater controlled society, the only untraceable way to get them is to print them off hacked Nanofabs at corporate locations. 

One design choice I would like to see is that Nanofabs would offer you everything the game has for sale and it's up to how much money you got to make your choices. 

However I can see that perhaps on multiple play throughs that the developers would want to force you to try new things. 

Maybe each corporation would offer their own exclusive items in their Nanofabs?

Thanks everyone for your answers, especially James. It is nice to have a confirmation from the team. It makes more sense now.

One followup question I have is: why do we have to spend money to upgrade agents. Wouldn’t it make more sense if we had separate XP points or something? From the logical perspective, I don’t understand why Banks becoming stealthier costs $400 or whatever.

Thanks everyone for your answers, especially James. It is nice to have a confirmation from the team. It makes more sense now.

One followup question I have is: why do we have to spend money to upgrade agents. Wouldn’t it make more sense if we had separate XP points or something? From the logical perspective, I don’t understand why Banks becoming stealthier costs $400 or whatever.

I think I agree with you there - tho ofc you never know what kinda sorta gizmos are used in the future to enhance humans (Deus Ex comes to mind ^^), I still think an xp based system would feel a bit nicer.

Archived