Fusion- A Worthwhile Program?

After unlocking Fusion, I've been finding myself without PWR a whole lot. After some serious thought on the matter, I sat down and did some math to work out if Fusion is at all that worthwhile.

Turn      |  0 |  1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |  6 |  7  |  8 |  9  |  10 |  11 |  12 |

Fusion    | -5 | -2 | +1 | +4 | +2 | +5 | +8 | +11 | +9 | +12 | +15 | +18 | +16 |

Drip      | +1 | +2 | +3 | +4 | +5 | +6 | +7 | + 8 | +9 | +10 | +11 | +12 | +13 |

Delta     | -6 | -4 | -2 |  0 | -3 | -1 | +1 | + 3 |  0 | + 2 | + 4 | + 6 | + 3 |

(vs. Drip)

First observation- due to the recurring 5 power cost, the actual benefits of Fusion take a far longer time to realize than one might imagine- Fusion is only temporarily better by turn 6 and permanently better past turn 8. It is only +3 better than Drip for every 4 turns past turn 8. On every 3rd turn you must ensure you preserve at least 2 power in order for the +3 on the next turn to sum 5 to reuse the Fusion (leaving you with no power overall if you're scraping the barrel at that point).

Overall Fusion is far better in the long run than Drip and any player worth their salt should take it. First 10 turns should be cleared in the first level (2 alarm levels) past which you're in the green. Obviously you can supplant Fusion with consoles too.

The problem with Fusion is you have to be careful not to spend those 2 PWR the turn before it cycles and to remember to bump it every 4th turn- it rewards attention to detail and not spending power wantonly.

After unlocking Fusion, I've been finding myself without PWR a whole lot. After some serious thought on the matter, I sat down and did some math to work out if Fusion is at all that worthwhile.

Turn      |  0 |  1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |  6 |  7  |  8 |  9  |  10 |  11 |  12 |

Fusion    | -5 | -2 | +1 | +4 | +2 | +5 | +8 | +11 | +9 | +12 | +15 | +18 | +16 |

Drip      | +1 | +2 | +3 | +4 | +5 | +6 | +7 | + 8 | +9 | +10 | +11 | +12 | +13 |

Delta     | -6 | -4 | -2 |  0 | -3 | -1 | +1 | + 3 |  0 | + 2 | + 4 | + 6 | + 3 |

(vs. Drip)

First observation- due to the recurring 5 power cost, the actual benefits of Fusion take a far longer time to realize than one might imagine- Fusion is only temporarily better by turn 6 and permanently better past turn 8. It is only +3 better than Drip for every 4 turns past turn 8. On every 3rd turn you must ensure you preserve at least 2 power in order for the +3 on the next turn to sum 5 to reuse the Fusion (leaving you with no power overall if you're scraping the barrel at that point).

Overall Fusion is far better in the long run than Drip and any player worth their salt should take it. First 10 turns should be cleared in the first level (2 alarm levels) past which you're in the green. Obviously you can supplant Fusion with consoles too.

The problem with Fusion is you have to be careful not to spend those 2 PWR the turn before it cycles and to remember to bump it every 4th turn- it rewards attention to detail and not spending power wantonly.

This actually was talked about on today's stream. And if using Fusion as a power leech rather than Drip Incognita combo, this is where I like using Internationale to better locate terminals in that beginning turn part of it,. One wrong power move, and you get in the hole really fast. 

I like fusion with parasite and oracle the most at the moment. I also try to get a dagger so I can deal with stronger firewalls fast. Personally I love the demon sniffer. The cooldown is quite long but it helps me a lot in making decissions which object not to hack and if in which order I need to hack them.

Anybody else using oracle?

Fusion might give you more PWR, but you have to lock down a certain amount of it just to be able to gain PWR. You can end in a situation where you need to spend more remaining PWR than you'd like and have no extra PWR at all. Daemons who drain PWR are also much more dangerous than usual. So Fusion is better in aspect of getting more power, but has more drawbacks than Power Drip.

I use Oracle. It can come in handy in terms of providing additional intel, but to a point. I like Ping or Daemon Sniffer more in terms of practical usage.

I usually take Drip and Parasite and I almost always have above 10 power. Exceptions are when I use some expensive other program, like Hammer. But with Parasite I never have problems with power, neither early nor late, so I don't need "that extra power on the long run".

I advocate taking neither fusion nor drip. No, seriously, I play all my games that way, and do quite fine. Think of it this way: you sacrifice a power generation tool in favour of more flexibility in power management.

I advocate taking neither fusion nor drip. No, seriously, I play all my games that way, and do quite fine. Think of it this way: you sacrifice a power generation tool in favour of more flexibility in power management.

Do you take Internationale when doing this?

I'd imagine her ranged hacking comes in very handy when you're relying on consoles for PWR.

The first times with Fusion are really hard but as soon as you get used to it you can have much fun with it. During a endless game i tried Fusion with Lockpick and it worked out very well. I don't like Parasites, because you have to waste many rounds for them, if you dont find a cameradatabase early in the mission.

Thats why i tried to pick Fusion and Lockpick. The big advantage is that you can react to different situations with lockpick while Fusion generates the power for it. And if youre agents are in the eleveator don't forget to stay some turns recharge your PWR with Fusion so you can start the next mission with full PWR.

Do you take Internationale when doing this?

I'd imagine her ranged hacking comes in very handy when you're relying on consoles for PWR.

Internationale does make it easier, but I got good mileage (i.e. finished story mode) doing this with Deckard and Banks. I pushed hacking up as a priority with Deckard. 

It does mean you need to be more picky with targets though, and rely on parasite for most things (lockpick only for emergencies). 

I use Fusion, Parasite, Hammer and I'm never at a point where I wish I had more power. I also don't need to use consoles which is good cause I hate when security stops you. I try to hack it but then regardless if your successful or not you lose 2 power and if you lose then 2 more alarm levels. Forget that I'll generate my own power thanks. Yeah I know sometimes it gives the good choices but they are not that good. Refresh action points, blah, that's never critical. $100 is nothing. Ammo is nice sometimes but I can buy my own too. 

I'm usually always at 20 power at end of level and the rare time gotta wait a couple turns in the elevator charging up. I also use hammer 2-3 times a level too. I hack everything thats worth it or in my way too. 

The ONLY reason I can see for using drip is if you cant remember to start Fusion on time. 

My other 2 are ping and I'm on the fence about Daemon Sniffer. If I want something hacked I'm gonna do it regardless of a Daemon so I may switch that one up for Wrench or Dagger. Hmmm but why bother, my power is good with Hammer. 

I use Fusion, Parasite, Hammer and I'm never at a point where I wish I had more power. I also don't need to use consoles which is good cause I hate when security stops you. I try to hack it but then regardless if your successful or not you lose 2 power and if you lose then 2 more alarm levels. Forget that I'll generate my own power thanks. Yeah I know sometimes it gives the good choices but they are not that good. Refresh action points, blah, that's never critical. $100 is nothing. Ammo is nice sometimes but I can buy my own too. 

Security allows you open security doors and guard can be bribed to put back the alarm tracker. I find it very useful. Not always, but it comes in handy on many occassions. Of course, not succeeding is bad, but that makes it better as you can't bank on having the "event" to go your way. And you can always forfeit the PWR in case you don't want to take your chances.

Archived