Good idea. Miner hats should have the same mechanism. Maybe they could disappear after several (5-10) uses. If they don't break they have to have higher costs for crafting, so that these items don't get to powerful.

Edited by Osterhasi

Right now the only option for pumpkin lanterns is to break them open before they disappear. If you do that you'll release the fireflies inside it.

As for the miner's hat, in the past we've discussed allowing it to be "repaired" with additional fireflies or turn off when you didn't want to use it. Personally I always felt the fireflies should be replaced with a beeswax candle (wax + silk/string). And to light it the player needs to use flint on it and by removing the hat it extinguishes the flame, so you can wear it again, but not use it.

Personally I always felt the fireflies should be replaced with a beeswax candle (wax + silk/string). And to light it the player needs to use flint on it and by removing the hat it extinguishes the flame, so you can wear it again, but not use it.

I prefer this soultion this is better than my own and much better than the currently solution. There are still bees and beehives, so it shouldn't be much work to add wax. Wax should slowly (like 5 times slower than honey) generate in the beehives.

If...

The fireflies wandered across the map instead of being stationary, the pumpkin lantern just held them in place and after long enough the fireflies escaped, and the pumpkin wasn't destroyed and could be refilled.

That would be the best fix from my perspective. Also, you could put candles or fireflies in the lantern.

Very true, I have actually thought about this quite a bit, I would love to see the floating lights travel around in the dark, would make the atmosphere more spooky at night getting half glimpses of what lies out there xD

To this end in another thread I suggested another nighttime light source... the will-o-the-wisp. It could spawn in swamps and around graves (more graves = more likely to spawn at night). As with Abigail the will-o-the-wisp wouldn't spawn every night, but unlike her don't spawn at dusk. At sunrise they would disappear.

As to what they do? I left that open to player suggestions. Maybe they do nothing, like fireflies, or maybe they attract ghosts to spawn... who knows? :)

I spelled lanterns wrongly xD sorry

Fixed it ;)

The fireflies wandered across the map instead of being stationary [...]
[...] floating lights travel around in the dark, would make the atmosphere more spooky at night getting half glimpses of what lies out there xD

This is the kind of thing that when somebody points it out, I go "it's so obvious it should be THAT way, why has nobody thought of this before!?" in my head.

You guys just did that.

+1