How to deal (efficiently) with 2-rooms-patrolling-guard ?

Hey, so I've been playing the game for few hours and have not finished story yet. I was only 2 tiles away!

I believe I've picked up on every mechanic of the game but I often spend more than 2 turns just to pass on of these guards once! What's the strategy for those?

most of the time before i "see" them i see the "sound" arrows of there walking from a room to a room. and i remember those rooms at first till they start searching. but they always go thru one door. both ways normally. anytime your ending turn scroll back a little to see more and move camera (with arrow keys maybe) to just off your guards so you can see the "sound" markers both as they appear and after. they stay till you peak/view a room i believe and i always just have one agent next to the door that the guard went thru stun ready while the other agent canvas's the room and ends not in sight of the guards door when they open it. but then I've also never gotten past day 2 yet!

I've recently come to figure out how to evade patrols without having to KO every guard I come across and deal with them erratically searching for me when they wake up. Back in the beta, cover would only ever give you a small chance to not get shot, but now that I've been messing around with the alpha I realize the enemy just plain can't see you if you're hiding behind a desk or some such, even if they're looking right in your direction. It's surprisingly easy to slip by a single guard, so long as they're on a basic patrol and not actively hunting for you. It's very rare that any room doesn't have a single type of cover available, be sure you know what's around you.

I've recently come to figure out how to evade patrols without having to KO every guard I come across and deal with them erratically searching for me when they wake up. Back in the beta, cover would only ever give you a small chance to not get shot, but now that I've been messing around with the alpha I realize the enemy just plain can't see you if you're hiding behind a desk or some such, even if they're looking right in your direction. It's surprisingly easy to slip by a single guard, so long as they're on a basic patrol and not actively hunting for you. It's very rare that any room doesn't have a single type of cover available, be sure you know what's around you.

I've met a guard who can see me while behind cover. Scary stuff.

I've met a guard who can see me while behind cover. Scary stuff.

Yeah, I think some of the later advanced guards can see you through cover if their vision cone is over you, but I wasn't sure.

I assume in the full game there will be more v/o explaining abilities/features as they crop up in the story mode.

Yeah, I think some of the later advanced guards can see you through cover if their vision cone is over you, but I wasn't sure.

I assume in the full game there will be more v/o explaining abilities/features as they crop up in the story mode.

When you highlight the tile a guard is standing on, it tells you the gear they have and what that gear does for them.

I had met a guard with an item that gave him a 180 degree vision arc and another item that let him identify agents in hidden positions. Basically, if you didn't have a wall between you and the enemy, he would see you.

It's less useful but worth mentioning as well that mousing over the tiles themselves tells you whether it's hidden or in line of sight. I don't know if that works on the more advanced guards though.

I've also recently been approaching this game with the idea that, since it's procedurally generated, not every map is winnable. I don't know if that's the intent or not, but a couple of times I've bailed without getting any loot or objectives. If the agents are coming home, I call it a win.

Archived