Creature Modding Assistance!

Hello, fellow forum goers!  I am completely new to the modding section of the community, and would like to seek out some assistance.  I am well aware of Cheerio's Creature Modding Tutorials 1-8 on the Steam Workshop, but around the third tutorial is where things go awry.  Upon trying to activate my creature mod (which is merely a Triceratops in its idle animation), the game, rather than disabling the mod and telling me the source of the problem, freezes altogether on this very screen.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/3348/zdgecwg9078t3kzfg.jpg (URL link due to large size)

I also have a log bellow, with the problems starting towards the end.

I made sure all the files, folders, and LUA files had their information down correctly, yet I am still getting a fatal error.

I hope somebody points out exactly what is wrong, so I may fix it, as this is a serious problem for me.

log.txt

scripts/mods.lua(269,1) Mod: trike (Trike) Registering prefabs

scripts/mods.lua(275,1) Mod: trike (Trike) Registering prefab file: prefabs/trike

scripts/mods.lua(17,1) error calling LoadPrefabFile in mod trike (Trike):

...m/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:276: Could not find an asset matching anim/trike.zip in any of the search paths.

LUA ERROR stack traceback:

=[C] in function 'assert'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua(276,1) in function 'resolvefilepath'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(51,1) in function 'RegisterPrefabs'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(78,1)

=(tail call) ?

=[C] in function 'xpcall'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(15,1)

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(276,1) in function 'RegisterPrefabs'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(116,1) in function 'LoadAssets'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1143,1) in function 'DoResetAction'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1158,1) in function 'complete_callback'

=[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua(91,1) in function 'Load'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1179,1) in function 'callback'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(571,1) in function 'Set'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(455,1)

=[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(453,1) in function 'Load'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1178,1) in main chunk

=[C] in function 'require'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(651,1)

Looks like it's trying to find a trike.zip animation and it can't find it. Can you package up your mod as it is and post a link to it? Github or dropbox should be fine.

scripts/mods.lua(269,1) Mod: trike (Trike)	Registering prefabs	scripts/mods.lua(275,1) Mod: trike (Trike)	  Registering prefab file: prefabs/trike	scripts/mods.lua(17,1) error calling LoadPrefabFile in mod trike (Trike): ...m/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua:276: Could not find an asset matching anim/trike.zip in any of the search paths.LUA ERROR stack traceback:        =[C] in function 'assert'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua(276,1) in function 'resolvefilepath'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(51,1) in function 'RegisterPrefabs'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(78,1)        =(tail call) ?        =[C] in function 'xpcall'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(15,1)        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(276,1) in function 'RegisterPrefabs'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(116,1) in function 'LoadAssets'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1143,1) in function 'DoResetAction'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1158,1) in function 'complete_callback'	...        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua(91,1) in function 'Load'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1179,1) in function 'callback'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(571,1) in function 'Set'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(455,1)        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(453,1) in function 'Load'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1178,1) in main chunk        =[C] in function 'require'        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(651,1)	
Looks like it's trying to find a trike.zip animation and it can't find it. Can you package up your mod as it is and post a link to it? Github or dropbox should be fine.

Look for anything saying "trike" in your .lua files, then replace that with an existing anim.

I've found this is usually caused by a naming error in the build. Make sure your tex, build, and anim files are using the correct names. I will look at the share when I can, but this would be a good place to start.

I made sure everything was correctly named, as pretty much all of it is based on the simple word, "trike."

As said, you need an existing anim.zip

You don't have a anim folder. Make one! And put an animation in there...

I tried that out, and while it thankfully didn't lock up this time, the game instead stops trying to register it altogether, and the Trike doesn't show up in its idle animation loop.  If you think I may be missing anything else aside from the ANIM files, please let me know.

Now that your animation problem is sorted out, try checking your log.txt to see if there's any error messages when mods are loaded. It could also be a problem with the animation file. Package up the mod again with the animation so we can check that out.

I've taken a few days off from working on the mod, and now that I'm back, I have a few more questions relating to the ANIM folder and the files within.If I've been told correctly, I'm supposed to copy the files in the ANIM folder from the third tutorial?If that's the case, then why won't it register the creature in its idle animation in-game?What will I have to do to alter the files to get the Trike finally working?I am sorry if I annoy anyone with my lack of knowledge, I just wish to know more about how the coding works. Heck, I'll write all this on notepad when I figure it out.

I've taken a few days off from working on the mod, and now that I'm back, I have a few more questions relating to the ANIM folder and the files within.If I've been told correctly, I'm supposed to copy the files in the ANIM folder from the third tutorial?If that's the case, then why won't it register the creature in its idle animation in-game?What will I have to do to alter the files to get the Trike finally working?I am sorry if I annoy anyone with my lack of knowledge, I just wish to know more about how the coding works. Heck, I'll write all this on notepad when I figure it out.

So, from what I could gather from varied sources, the EXPORTED folder is necessary to provide the game a reference to create the files in the ANIM folder.  Unfortunately, this does not seem to be happening, and the game, again, freezes upon attempting.  Anyway, here's the files, with said ANIM folder included.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c4nd9ds7go3b2ad/trike.zip

I apologize if you don't like Mediafire, but I have always preferred it.

I think you might be exporting something wrong. The game is expecting to see a .zip file in the anim folder, and I'm not seeing that in your mediafire download. Unfortunately I'm not able to use the mod toolkit so I can't direct you on how to create that .zip file.

Hopefully someone else has more experience.

Alright, looking up a character mod tutorial, despite obviously being different from creature modding, I see how the files, such as TEX and BIN files, are actually made.  Give me a few hours to a few days, I may get some positive results.

Meanwhile, enjoy another "Don'tstarve-osaur" I'm getting to work on.

don_t_starve___tyrannosaur__with_size_co

THIS IS NOT AN IN-GAME CREATURE YET, JUST CONCEPT ART.

Well, I'm back, and still have gone nowhere, unfortunately.  No matter what I try to do, I ultimately end up back on square one:  The game crashes, as soon as I try to activate the mod.

Pasted ZIP file for those who want to see where everything screws up.  Includes the raw log.txt file.

Remember, I'm just trying to get the idle animation to play.

ihavenoideahowthisworks.zip

How are you building the trike.zip file? All I did was build the file with the auto compiler. Apparently @simplex 's Mem Spike Fix makes only the back leg appear.

Your build.bin file was 0 bytes and the trike.zip did not have an atlas or anim.bin file in it. These are signs that the compile went wrong.

Also you do not need duplicates of everything in the exported folder, so I have deleted the trike folder that was there.

Hopefully this is a good starting point. Let me know if you have questions.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198022673120/screenshot/70123930695880445

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ogqv5k4j61r5w3b/trikerebuild.rar

Archived