Game Start, Spring to Summer tips?

Hi all,

Again, I haven't been playing RoG that long, so I'm still learning about Summer. One of the problems I have is when the game starts in Spring. I'm too busy mitigating the rains/trying to find insulation/getting basic resources from the beginning of the game, and summer is a problem for me. (At least the game "cheated" me on meat from pigs early on so Umbrella pigskins are not a problem. Spider nests are though, only two locally, and only 1 hit t3. Hoping for far off ones to hit T3 for moving the eggs soon.)

Not only is ice limited (compared to mining it from winter in abundance,) but I have less time than if in Autumn to get the summer resources. (And will be super paranoid about leaving an ice cube out of the cold box more than two days. Also, I have been playing Wigfrid lately, so I only have one box anyway due to limited gold and Wigfrid's special items *sigh*  I don't have as many farms to get Watermelon if that's a common backup by anybody.)

Any tips for preparing for summer when in Spring is greatly appreciated. Besides a floral shirt, which is a trade off for using a backpack as Puffy vest is to winter of course. That I get the importance. That and an umbrella. I have some teeth so I can make one sewing kit very soon, others must be used for tooth traps and no desert nearby (noticing a trend here, like not finding key things this first season) for hound mounds. 

Finally, with the minimum 10 gold needed just to build an Alchemy engine with all its components, and the world not giving me any big quarries (just two little ones and one medium one with one Tallbird) any suggestions how I can get extra gold in the early spring game without having to go to the caves early when the Pig King is not showing up this first year?

(Seems i got a spread out map. A lot of biomes bisect other biomes in the middle of each other, except my Deciduous Forest and Glommer...of course that was found early when I am playing Wigfrid *sigh*...he's a krampus farming tool except in winter when his gloop has more use than the 1-2 farm plots i need as filler, or maybe to put out fires later instead of rot if out of the Fling-o-matic range.

. And of course, Beefalo or pig villages are not around the local map, and weren't found yet. Glad jackalopes were found on day one though  And butterflies make excellent filler when not winter due to very spread out berry bushes and few pig houses just not worth transplanting nearer by, but 5 very spread out bushes.)

Sorry, I dont have the attention span (gimme a break, ive been up all night) to do anything more than skim over this huge post.

But when you're in Spring, i just tend not to worry about the rain, Insanity is a temporary, easily fixable problem compared to your base burning to the ground in Summer because you got an umbrella instead of a flingomatic.

heat stone and nitre, that's all you need.

I assume you mean THERMAL stone chilled not heated?

And how do I use the Nitre to prevent going more than 25 steps before overheating damage, endothermic fire?

I could say walk around with a ton of wood in winter but making a campfire every 45 steps isn't much better. or am i forced to constantly turtle next to an endothermic fire pit all summer hoping I won't run out of fuel for my flingomatic if I have to share wood/nitre, (or will Glommer make just enough goop this time...)

So far only the Lean-to seems to use universal renewable ingredients, and fortunately isn't a web hog (since I'm low on spider nests ATM.) I see a lot of hammering and rebuilding like a tent in my future...

if you have a endo fire pit, a summer frest(cheap), a fridge and a thermal stone, you can make expedition during summer tha lasts an average time...

Like a winter hat in Winter, this vest tips the balance for me in Summer (to be replaced possibly by the floral shirt once I find a desert.)

I miss the pack but miss burning my health less! 

THANK you!

(I got to remember to carry some rot with me to extinguish outside my home base smouldering though..glad I cleared out a firebreak in my base!) 

(Edit: headslap...have to re-upgrade my Chester to Snow version again.)

I always build my base at a biome-intersection that connects to a desert biome (and if you're lucky, a swamp too), because a floral shirt solves all my heating problems and cactus provides you plenty free vegies during summer. Cactus flesh, cactus flower + spider meat (meatballs, 2+ dens recommended) is enough to keep Wigfrid alive and well, so you can only do better if you are playing as other characters.

With a floral shirt, you can easily survive without any other cooling accessories such as umbrella, straw hat and thermal stones, so I highly recommend it. Craft a chilled amulet instead of the shirt if you are going underground. 

Bing the frog rain to the neighbouring biome for food, or to the beehives/beeboxes if you need them right away.

I feel that building extra buildings or resource farms in RoG is not worth the effort. Things regenerate, burn down in summer and get destroyed more easily than non-RoG games.

I have in storage but never have used the ice cube and ice.

Overall, I think I spend more time clean up flammable substances around my base than doing any other activities in spring.

I always build my base at a biome-intersection that connects to a desert biome (and if you're lucky, a swamp too), because a floral shirt solves all my heating problems and cactus provides you plenty free vegies during summer. Cactus flesh, cactus flower + spider meat (meatballs, 2+ dens recommended) is enough to keep Wigfrid alive and well, so you can only do better if you are playing as other characters.

With a floral shirt, you can easily survive without any other cooling accessories such as umbrella, straw hat and thermal stones, so I highly recommend it. Craft a chilled amulet instead of the shirt if you are going underground. 

Bing the frog rain to the neighbouring biome for food, or to the beehives/beeboxes if you need them right away.

I feel that building extra buildings or resource farms in RoG is not worth the effort. Things regenerate, burn down in summer and get destroyed more easily than non-RoG games.

I have in storage but never have used the ice cube and ice.

Overall, I think I spend more time clean up flammable substances around my base than doing any other activities in spring.

Excellent...didn't think of that amulet for caves instead...

Yeah, this world is not behaving. After winter, and getting a Tam/walking cane, i'm leaving for a proper world with normal biomes and not putting a desert way in the corner of the world I didn't yet explore while the other world areas have bisected biomes in the center. 

You mention a shortage of quite a few resources. I'd recommend exploring more before picking camp site.

The only season specific thing you really need for your first spring is a pretty parasal and you get that for only six flowers.

You don't need an alchemy engine for awhile, a science machine (which can be built and deconstructed with a single piece of gold) should be enough to let you find a base camp location.

You can survive both winter or summer with only a thermal stone and campfire/endothermic campfires. It's annoying and you burn through tons of resources (you generally have to build multiple fires/day) but it's definitely doable.

You can usually explore the entire perimeter of the map within around 13 days, and building a camp before day 10 is generally a waste of time (Any food you prepare will be stale before summer hits and it's tough to know enough about your surroundings to choose a good spot that early. The first hound wave can be handled with just a spear and log suit), but building it much later than day 15 is likely going to be dangerous (not enough time to gather extra resources/prep ice flinger/build crock pots etc.

The thing I found most frustrating about summer was that most of the equipment rots/melts rather than having durability... that's why I generally try to use Thermal stone/Summer frest. If I can't get a summer frest, i go for the fashion melon (Hammering the farms around the potato thing is an easy way to get mats for Adv. Farm... and I generally skip basic farms altogether).

I've been contemplating, but haven't yet tried, jumping worlds on day 1 of summer/winter 1. If I were to jump into a new world with 40 flint, 40 twig, 20 wood and prebuilt structures I could likely explore the entire perimeter and build a basic camp in less than 10 days.

You mention a shortage of quite a few resources. I'd recommend exploring more before picking camp site.

The only season specific thing you really need for your first spring is a pretty parasal and you get that for only six flowers.

You don't need an alchemy engine for awhile, a science machine (which can be built and deconstructed with a single piece of gold) should be enough to let you find a base camp location.

You can survive both winter or summer with only a thermal stone and campfire/endothermic campfires. It's annoying and you burn through tons of resources (you generally have to build multiple fires/day) but it's definitely doable.

You can usually explore the entire perimeter of the map within around 13 days, and building a camp before day 10 is generally a waste of time (Any food you prepare will be stale before summer hits and it's tough to know enough about your surroundings to choose a good spot that early. The first hound wave can be handled with just a spear and log suit), but building it much later than day 15 is likely going to be dangerous (not enough time to gather extra resources/prep ice flinger/build crock pots etc.

The thing I found most frustrating about summer was that most of the equipment rots/melts rather than having durability... that's why I generally try to use Thermal stone/Summer frest. If I can't get a summer frest, i go for the fashion melon (Hammering the farms around the potato thing is an easy way to get mats for Adv. Farm... and I generally skip basic farms altogether).

I've been contemplating, but haven't yet tried, jumping worlds on day 1 of summer/winter 1. If I were to jump into a new world with 40 flint, 40 twig, 20 wood and prebuilt structures I could likely explore the entire perimeter and build a basic camp in less than 10 days.

Yeah, besides the temp camp with the crock pot (Wigfrid) I did do exploring, just got a weird biome. I left out the lower left area of my perimeter where I bet that desert is of course. Plenty of grass, twigs logs and flowers and since I got lots of pigskins, plenty of umbrellas over parasols this time. I have some houses nearby (but not too close) I can werepig them for constant meat/pigskins/hambats. I stocked up on meat/skins so I wouldn't risk combusting them accidentally/have to build another flingomatic/put out fires if I visit. 

Something is just off on this one. Found better groupings before so must be the luck of the draw. 

Edit: And...not in Summer! Nothing wrong with lean-to's when I have an excess of food cold stored! No Dragonfly this round, which is fine this time. I'll get him in a future Summer. 

I will not only pop into a new world (found 3 of the 5 things without trying in my first beginning season and one of them was the Wooden one...and got 16 extra gears without trying) after Winter is over and see if this biome was crazy (after exploring the rest of that corner of course and stocking up/prebuilding for the trip) I will make some new games (also with a non-Wigfrid character) to practice these tips you all gave me, no matter what the season! 

Again, my eternal THANK YOU!

Get a bird cage to make a self-sustaining source of food (eggs) then stockpile melons as they give sanity and fashion melons, praise the melon.

I died shortly afterwards due to a n00b wrong hat mistake.But in m y last 4 runs, gold was a minimal resource. Like do i make the ice box or birdcage or try exploring further? 

I died shortly afterwards due to a n00b wrong hat mistake.But in m y last 4 runs, gold was a minimal resource. Like do i make the ice box or birdcage or try exploring further? 

I personally would make the birdcage first as it makes food go through three stages, raw, cooked/jerked, then the delicious egg that goes quite well with a monster meat, frog leg/morsel, and two carrots.

I think your going about some of this wrong. If your playing as Wigfrid, you don't actually have to only use her Battle gear, do you? Save that stuff for when you need the extra oomp it provides. Like Maxwell and his shadow armor/sword. Use as a last resort. Once you establish a base and have some spare resources, then start building her personal gear!

As for a starting base during Spring, I tend to stay small, near the desert, only build what you absolutely need to survive, STAY SMALL so 1 flinger will cover the base. Once you get an ice box and thermal stone, you'll be able to explore a little more. Kill some red birds and find some pig skins for the summer frest. Make a straw hat and you can now explore all day without overheating. The nitre comes in handy for the regular endo fire. So make sure your carrying some with you at all times.

I personally would make the birdcage first as it makes food go through three stages, raw, cooked/jerked, then the delicious egg that goes quite well with a monster meat, frog leg/morsel, and two carrots.

I think your going about some of this wrong. If your playing as Wigfrid, you don't actually have to only use her Battle gear, do you? Save that stuff for when you need the extra oomp it provides. Like Maxwell and his shadow armor/sword. Use as a last resort. Once you establish a base and have some spare resources, then start building her personal gear!

As for a starting base during Spring, I tend to stay small, near the desert, only build what you absolutely need to survive, STAY SMALL so 1 flinger will cover the base. Once you get an ice box and thermal stone, you'll be able to explore a little more. Kill some red birds and find some pig skins for the summer frest. Make a straw hat and you can now explore all day without overheating. The nitre comes in handy for the regular endo fire. So make sure your carrying some with you at all times.

I died, doesn't matter.

And yes, i do save the gear, using lesser gear until I'm well established. Things like hounds and pigs get the special gear until I can make Pigskin helmets and Ham bats. Then I tier up like any normal character in regards to weapons and armor.

(I especially like boomerangs for Mactusk and snowbirds when starting in my first winter with all characters unless my summer comes first and it changes my weapon and armor options..) 

Also, my runs have not been swamp-friendly, so I make the crock pot first. If I found a swamp before the gold rocks then I might make the birdcage first or at the same time. I swear my last run had only a local mini swamp with 5 reeds...just teasing me, mocking me...

Archived