Going down the ruins during Summer and Winter; good or bad idea?

27 members have voted

1. 1. Going down the ruins during winter or summer?

• Good idea for both
    • Good but only during Winter
    • Good but only for Summer
    • Bad idea either way

So I've already explored most of my first ruins, more than my caves, but I only have been going down there during Autumn and Spring. Not sure if going down the Ruins during Winter or summer is a good idea, what do you think? Note that ruins as well as caves doesn't have insulation from heat or cold.

Ps: I got my houndius shootius destroyed by deerclops, so I'm guessing they're better for hound attacks than giants, ei?

Note that ruins as well as caves doesn't have insulation from heat or cold.

I think they have. I was in ruins during winter, you need a small base with firepit. With best warming items you ca'nt die of freezing before  nightmare. When nigthmare timepiece is come you should back to base and add fuel to firepit.

Never be in ruins during summer. I like summer and I don't want accidentally lose dragonfly

It's a good idea, I do it all the times. In fact, I explore caves and ruins during all the seasons all the time. You just need to be well equipped with proper seasonal clothes. Having a camp in caves or ruins also helps (permanent fire). Trees grow in caves for fires during winter (but not grass so be careful) and you can get nitre from earthquakes for endothermic fires. Tip: use a hammer on your endothermic fires before they go out, that will refound you half the materials (including a piece of nitre). Don't forget your thrusty thermal stones!

It used to not be a good idea because they'd amplify the effects of the seasons, but now, it's a lessened version, so as long as you have the materials from the surface to survive the seasons then you're fine.

at least, that's the way I understand it.

It used to not be a good idea because they'd amplify the effects of the seasons, but now, it's a lessened version, so as long as you have the materials from the surface to survive the seasons then you're fine.

at least, that's the way I understand it.

Yep, rain is at minimum during Spring and you get cold insulation bonus during winter or a heat insulation bonus during summer, making it the place where weather is the easiest to deal with (provided you know what you're doing and you have the proper equipment).

So in caves and ruins you have partial insulation then? Not good enough. It still takes quite a few slots for me to have some fort of vest and. thermal stone. In spring you would only need one item, rain coat or eyebrella so that's not much of a chaos.

Btw, any suggestions what I could do with my Tentacle spots? I have 6 and I already have two raincoats and one feather hat, which I don't even use at all.

I also recently found out a way of getting sanity during Dusk and Night and getting a lot of sanity boost during the day: Dapper vest + Top hat combo! And all you need is silk and hounds' teeth. Basically I'm living a dapper life half of the time in my world, lol. And when I thought all my beefalos got extinct from Deerclops I found a savanna area in the middle of woods, which was full o' beefalo! I just love my world.

In my world I am aiming to unlock all craftables (ancient stuff you can't make without the altar even if you make something once, which sucks) and to discover all small parts of my world as much as possible. Has anyone ever discovered all parts of the world (including caves and ruins) or unlocked all recipes without using the console?

@XirmiX

That's one of my goals too - I've never managed to explore a whole cave system yet, or even seen the ruins, and there's lots of items I've never crafted.  Dapper vest is a good idea for cave exploring.  Breezy vest plus top hat also stops sanity drain at night as far as I can remember, so maybe it'd work in the ruins, plus give some warmth in Winter.

I have a pretty good world this time through, except Deerclops managed to destroy the pig village I was living in (I was trying to lead him to a swamp at night but he got away from me), so I'm relocating at the moment to the desert for the Spring and Summer, and then I'll choose a new permanent base and work towards caving.

So in caves and ruins you have partial insulation then? Not good enough. It still takes quite a few slots for me to have some fort of vest and. thermal stone. In spring you would only need one item, rain coat or eyebrella so that's not much of a chaos.

Caves do have insulation. If you go there during Summer, you will risk overheating. If you there during Winter, you will risk freezing. On the bright side, if you go there during summer there is less stuff that can burn, meaning you will lose less resources. Also the insulation is smoothed, meaning you will have more time until you start freezing/overheating.

All sounds awesome! But I've seen how Max was doing in caves during Summer and I thought I better jot risk it. I've entered another cave now, sinse there isn't much to my first cave's ruins anymore. Anyways I am right now waiting for Bearger with a lot of armor, weaponry, resources and healing items (food as well, of course) but I thought "Meh, rain isn't gonna be that bad during Autumn" and I was so stupid I now have a rain which made me wet, I only have a pretty parason and am stansing by a Firpit and am so mad about my bad decition :(

I hope that my pains of water aren't for waste and that I'll finally get one Bearger. I am also "camping" (not my base, but I'm just sitting there) next to the ton of Rocklobsters I brought from caves. And to be honest, if it wasn't for them, I would probably not have deafeated my Dragonfly!

Anfter Autumn has ended and Winter passes I'll go down the Second ruins I found. Hopefully I'll get a third Deerclops in the Row and get his eye ready for making Houdius shootius. Before leaving the world, I will have the Horns of the two Ancient guardians left with Deerclops eyeballs left without Houndius shootius built, I think, in case I have some extra Deerclops eyeballs which I could have in one stack, otherways it'd take another stack, and then I'll get a lot of resources, get ready a lot of stuff to place in the next world (the good system of crafting stuff but not placing them is just awesome). I'm also not leaving my world till I get a Krampus sack, so that means I need to kill a lot of dead animals! I already had 5 Krampuses in total, but yet no luck.

Btw, what do you think I should bring to my next world like in far future? With Krampus sack, my two left body slots and my normal slots, I will have 31 slot to carry stuff to the next world (note, I'll also craft stuff and not place, such as Shadow manipulator for the next world. I also only need to unlock Meat effegy for Magic and then the tab is done. Just don't have the need of it, because I still have 4 touchstones!).

I'm thinking right now stuff like:

1) Stack of pinecones

2) Stack of grass turfs

3) Stack of twig turfs

4) Stack of rot

5) Stack of nightmare fuel

6) Stack of silk

7) Stack of reeds

8) Stack of charcoal

9) 2 guardian horns

10) Deerclops' eyeballs (as much as I will have)

11) Scales

12) Down feathers

13)Thick furs

14) Stack of pig skin

15) Stack of gold

16) Stack of rocks (I don't think I'll need flint. I already have 3 useless stacks!)

17) Stack of nitre

18) Stack of manure

19) One kind of gem. Probably green one, cause for me that's the rarest!

20) stack of thulecite

21) Some tentacle spots

22) Some marble

22 and 23)Stack of healing salves and/or honey pultices

24) Walrus tusks (because that way I can have multiple walking canes for making The lazy explorers)

25) Stack of beefalo wool

26) Stack of hound's teeth

27) Stack of bone shards

28) Stack of Azure feathers (for making blow darts)

29) Stack of Crimson feathers (for making fire darts and Summer frests)

Which leaves one hand slot and a head slot. I'm thinking I'll have an Eyebrella for my head slot and may be a Tentacle spike for my hand slot.

What do you think I should bring to my next world in far future? Do you think I should change something or is this the Maximum Strategy (wink, wink) for moving to another world? I'm currently in day 322 or something and the rain is killing me, but with 13 honey pultices in hand, I should not die till the rain ends, lol.

And I swear, I have not used the console a single time to get where I am right now (I have two Thulecite crowns, two Thulecite suits and a Thulecite club, plus a magiluminessense, the lazy forager (I think), star caller's staff and almost used up Construction amulet (yup, I wasted it on making two Bat bats. That's how big of a Bat bat lover I am, thought I don't use them much and they're not actually as powerful as I first anticipated).

Ruins in summer! I'll never make that mistake again. Having just killed dragonfly on day 31 I thought I'd swing by the caves and explore a little. Came across the ruins and foolishly went down un prepared to just have a look. I ran into some trouble, died and respawned at the touch stone and well game over from there.

Ruins in summer! I'll never make that mistake again. Having just killed dragonfly on day 31 I thought I'd swing by the caves and explore a little. Came across the ruins and foolishly went down un prepared to just have a look. I ran into some trouble, died and respawned at the touch stone and well game over from there.

I did the same, except luckily I just made it out alive, since I'd taken some bunnymen with me and they gave me cover while I escaped.  And also I'd placed an icebox just above the ruins entrance so I put my thermal stone in while I ran around avoiding the monsters, grabbed it out again and ran for home. 

So actually you could say that I was (somewhat) prepared, though I wouldn't do it again.

Well, the catch is that (unlike pre RoG) no underground location completely insulates you from the heat/cold/rains, but it is a lot less than if directly on the surface.

The other catch is while you could use fewer seasonally-related items there, you have to prepare for more combat and fewer resources (even if you bring your own to transplant assuming you make growing arrangements in the ruins, since it's always dark there.) no matter what, when you go to the caves/ruins, go there prepared with the resources listed such as what X  suggested above. 

And when you can, always bring or befriend allies with you. You will need them from all the attacking and stealing creatures you will meet. 

So it really doesn't matter what season you go (but technically fall is the most mild of course,) but always bring resources and allies in cave (and more for ruins) exploration. 

Archived