Deerclops keeps owning me! Tips?

So Deerclops (RoG style). One of my biggest rivals.  I've looked up ways to kill him, and I've seen tons of posts asking, and one of the easiest (and safest in my opinion) was to have a Treeguard nearby.  So I had one nearby after cutting lots and lots of trees - that's a whole 'nother thing, but anyway.  Everything was going well.  As soon as Clops came, Tree got up all angry-like and was like "Bring it."  Then, Deerclops did his freezing-attack thing where scary ice shard-stilagmites came up out of the ground and Tree was frozen.  Damn.  I tried helping out Tree, and as sanity plummeted to the Frozen Hell from whence Clops came from, I didn't survive long.  Touchstone, ran back, died.  Last touchstone, Hounds felt left out so they decided to play, died.

Should I just stick to gunpowder and lighting it on fire?? Is that the only way aside from spamming a bajillion Tooth Traps??

So Deerclops (RoG style). One of my biggest rivals.  I've looked up ways to kill him, and I've seen tons of posts asking, and one of the easiest (and safest in my opinion) was to have a Treeguard nearby.  So I had one nearby after cutting lots and lots of trees - that's a whole 'nother thing, but anyway.  Everything was going well.  As soon as Clops came, Tree got up all angry-like and was like "Bring it."  Then, Deerclops did his freezing-attack thing where scary ice shard-stilagmites came up out of the ground and Tree was frozen.  Damn.  I tried helping out Tree, and as sanity plummeted to the Frozen Hell from whence Clops came from, I didn't survive long.  Touchstone, ran back, died.  Last touchstone, Hounds felt left out so they decided to play, died.

Should I just stick to gunpowder and lighting it on fire?? Is that the only way aside from spamming a bajillion Tooth Traps??

No dude, just kite him. Real easy. Let me grab you a video.

EDIT:

http://www.twitch.tv/flare2v/b/536389460

There's the video. Skip to 2:10:20 for the fight.

The Deerclops is the second easiest giant to handle, the easiest to fight. The only problem with him is his tendency to seek out structures and his insanity aura. the giant arm swoop and ice shard effects are very misleading, as his attacks have very small hitboxes (they won't hit you unless you're pretty close). If you can't quickswitch walking cane, go for two hits instead of three per kite. If kiting is too difficult, just slap on a logsuit and football helmet, and facetank him (Remember to avoid every second swing so you don't get frozen solid). Whenever you need to get away from him, just run. He's very slow and loses aggro on you easily, but he'll go for your structures if they're too close. If that's the case, just use an ice staff to freeze him or any ranged weapon to make him run at you instead of your buildings. He won't be able to smash anything with his arms unless he directly goes for it, so there won't be collateral damage and his only destructive capabilities at that point are his feet.

Sorry if that was a bit disorganized but I just tried to churn out as many tips is possible. Good luck!

No dude, just kite him. Real easy. Let me grab you a video.

EDIT:

http://www.twitch.tv/flare2v/b/536389460

There's the video. Skip to 2:10:20 for the fight.

The Deerclops is the second easiest giant to handle, the easiest to fight. The only problem with him is his tendency to seek out structures and his insanity aura. the giant arm swoop and ice shard effects are very misleading, as his attacks have very small hitboxes (they won't hit you unless you're pretty close). If you can't quickswitch walking cane, go for two hits instead of three per kite. If kiting is too difficult, just slap on a logsuit and football helmet, and facetank him (Remember to avoid every second swing so you don't get frozen solid). Whenever you need to get away from him, just run. He's very slow and loses aggro on you easily, but he'll go for your structures if they're too close. If that's the case, just use an ice staff to freeze him or any ranged weapon to make him run at you instead of your buildings. He won't be able to smash anything with his arms unless he directly goes for it, so there won't be collateral damage and his only destructive capabilities at that point are his feet.

Sorry if that was a bit disorganized but I just tried to churn out as many tips is possible. Good luck!

Awesome advice. I'll definitely make sure to have an ice staff or even pan flute ready for this guy.  And wow, I really didn't know kiting him was so easy.  I kite every other mob, but have never tried to kite him.  Thanks for the vid and the tips!

Awesome advice. I'll definitely make sure to have an ice staff or even pan flute ready for this guy.  And wow, I really didn't know kiting him was so easy.  I kite every other mob, but have never tried to kite him.  Thanks for the vid and the tips!

No problemo man, I wish you luck!

Just remember, every boss can be kited with the right gear, tactics, and skill. Try to avoid using the old bell (unless it's the dragonfly), and never use gunpowder on a single giant.

The reason is because of the sanity drain bug.

It was mentioned in one of the bug reports here, your sanity drains like crazy when fighting Deerclops, despite him having the same insanity aura as the other giants. Something to do with his character model.

So when fighting Deerclops, I recommend bringing a small stack of jerky (small jerky is the easiest), or taffy, or cactus, any food that boosts sanity.

Apart from that, just hit him twice and run away each time. Wear as much armor as you can, and a strong weapon (even a sanity-draining weapon like the Dark Sword) will shorten the fight, and save your overall sanity by a big margin.

I have a Rock Lobster infestation though, so Deerclops stands no chance. Herds of Rock Lobsters just butcher the giants, even the Dragonfly.

Just remember, every boss can be kited with the right gear, tactics, and skill. Try to avoid using the old bell (unless it's the dragonfly), and never use gunpowder on a single giant.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind!! Time to take on the giants!  :snarlingspider:

The reason is because of the sanity drain bug.

It was mentioned in one of the bug reports here, your sanity drains like crazy when fighting Deerclops, despite him having the same insanity aura as the other giants. Something to do with his character model.

So when fighting Deerclops, I recommend bringing a small stack of jerky (small jerky is the easiest), or taffy, or cactus, any food that boosts sanity.

Apart from that, just hit him twice and run away each time. Wear as much armor as you can, and a strong weapon (even a sanity-draining weapon like the Dark Sword) will shorten the fight, and save your overall sanity by a big margin.

I have a Rock Lobster infestation though, so Deerclops stands no chance. Herds of Rock Lobsters just butcher the giants, even the Dragonfly.

Oh good idea, I'll make a ton of taffy. Hopefully I can make enough before winter starts. Thanks!

No! Please no! Don't banish old bell!   :wilson_cry:

When I saw deerclops for the first time I lured him to a neutral treeguard, which died in three strikes : D Then I used a firestaff and finished off Deerclops with a spear. I didn't wear any armour during the fight but I survived somehow... Yeah... That's the only useful advice I have haha.

Are there any nearby mobs that could fight Deerclops for you? Use everything around you to your advantage.

When I saw deerclops for the first time I lured him to a neutral treeguard, which died in three strikes : D Then I used a firestaff and finished off Deerclops with a spear. I didn't wear any armour during the fight but I survived somehow... Yeah... That's the only useful advice I have haha.

Are there any nearby mobs that could fight Deerclops for you? Use everything around you to your advantage.

No... armor...? Wow impressive lol.  Hmm well on my new world, I'm playing as Webber, so I'll hopefully have all of my spider brethren to distract him.

Nearby mobs could sure lower his health, but that's rather a vanilla tip, since every single mob die really fastly due to his freezing ability.

Nearby mobs could sure lower his health, but that's rather a vanilla tip, since every single mob die really fastly due to his freezing ability.

Yeah, I think they would serve better as distractions while I frantically try and kite him.

I don't really fight him because most of times when he comes I'm not ready (don't have strong weapon or just too lazy to fight), so once i hear the roar I head to the nearest wormhole and travel to other side of the world. then I wait for him to spawn and go through the same wormhole back unharmed.

I don't really fight him because most of times when he comes I'm not ready (don't have strong weapon or just too lazy to fight), so once i hear the roar I head to the nearest wormhole and travel to other side of the world. then I wait for him to spawn and go through the same wormhole back unharmed.

See, I would've done the same, but I always worry that I'll head back to my base and he would be there and destroys everything.  All of my hard work (well not really but it's just annoying to rebuild) lost.

It's a good idea, though you don't need a wormhole to do it.

As soon as you hear the warning of a giant approaching, just run away from your base. They spawn wherever your character happens to be.

As long as he is not actively chasing you, you can just leave him there and go back to your base.

I did this a few times, so I could pick up some sanity restoring food (jerky/taffy/cactus), then go back to kite him.

Warning though, make sure the giant is not following you. Otherwise they will wreck your base, Dragonfly and Bearger in particular can wreck an entire base with only a few AOE attacks. Worse than Fire hounds.

@Flare2V can you give me any tips on how to kill the dragonfly ?

The easiest way would be to use the ice staff and old bell. First, ring the old bell relatively near the dragonfly. After you ring it, hit the dragonfly to grab his attention, chase him to the spot where you rung the bell, and freeze him there while you wait for the foot to come down. Repeat 2-3 times, the number of stomps can vary. Good luck!

Archived