Whats the optimal start?

I'm about a week new to this game, and I'm wondering whats the best way to start off a new world. I tried unlocking my entire map before I even made a base, and that took 12.5 days, and I had a walking cane for most of it. Feels like 12.5 days is too long and doesn't leave much time to prepare for summer or winter. I also didn't find a pig king, so I'm thinking of restarting the world.

Anyways, whats the best way to start a game? When to make base, whats the main things i should search for, best places to make a base, how to make a decent base, etc.

Can't find an edit option so I'll just ask this here. I forgot to ask why everyone seems like Wendy and Willow, I see them in any thread asking 'what is the best character'. Why not Maxwell, Wigfrid, or Webber?

Hey, opinions are opinions.

But personally Webber and Wilson are the best.

I'm about a week new to this game, and I'm wondering whats the best way to start off a new world. I tried unlocking my entire map before I even made a base, and that took 12.5 days, and I had a walking cane for most of it. Feels like 12.5 days is too long and doesn't leave much time to prepare for summer or winter. I also didn't find a pig king, so I'm thinking of restarting the world.

Anyways, whats the best way to start a game? When to make base, whats the main things i should search for, best places to make a base, how to make a decent base, etc.

You don't exactly HAVE to explore the whole map.

I can't really say anything else though since it will probably be invalid because its been a while since i've played.

"Edging" the world can be done very quickly in the beginning, if you use a torch at night, and just stick to the edges. Only eat cooked berries and carrots, or spider meat if you're Wigfrid. You can do it in 5 days.

That will tell you where everything is, and you can figure out where to set up your base.

Though you only really need to explore the middle area of the world before you figure out where to put your base.

My strategy as Wigfrid requires Frog Ponds, I will set up large numbers of Pig Houses about 1.5 screens away from the Frog Ponds, and start a war between them whenever I need food. Frog legs count as small meat, and when they start going bad I turn them into small jerky. When that starts going bad, I feed it to a bird to get fresh Eggs. This way I always have enormous amounts of small meats (frog legs or small jerky), large meats (monster meat/jerky) and Eggs, perfect for Bacon and Eggs and Pierogi for hunger and healing.

I also like Wigfrid.  I always set it for an Autumn start and I also build my base near to frog ponds.  I collect enough stone to make a wall between them and my base, with a gap where I leave a few traps, so I get a steady supply.  Without a wall they're constantly wandering into my camp which is annoying.

Before Wigrid my favourite was Wilson, and I would build my base near to beefalo and rabbits.  Beefalo are handy to help with hound attacks, and for manure.

I try to start my base, at least a fire pit, couple of boxes to store extra stuff I've collected, crockpot and science/alchemy machines, by around the 6th day or so.  I don't build any more until I've explored a bit more and am sure I've got the best spot.  I try to place it next to a road as well, at the edge of the grassland near to the best cluster of bunny holes (as Wilson).

For exploring, I tend to do edges and follow paths to see where they go, at least until I've got an idea of where things are.  I don't attempt to uncover the whole map before starting a base. 

i mean that in every world, there is the pigvillage in birchforest who has every useful thing for a main base.

And the oasis in the desert for your second main base in summer

I googled Oasis and I couldn't find much on them other than the fact that they're extremely rare. I don't know what they do.

during the day i follow roads until i find chester. at night times, if i'm travelling, i'll do the edges. I dont like to make camp untill i've found chester and got a pretty good idea of how the map is layed out - location is important to me. But then again, i play the best character in the game (wickerbottom, obviously) and her start is easier than others - she wont have to deal with a full inventory as soon as other characters for example - even if she does get full, she can prebuild structures to make more space.

autumn and spring are 20 days long. If you finished recon on day 12.5, and assuming your inventory is full of useful stuff by that point rather than junk, i think you have plenty of time to set up. But if you're gonna do that, you should have it in your mind from day 1, and gather accordingly.

If i'm on a map without pig king i'll be planning to leave it soon, so will set up a small temporary camp, make a divining rod and get the hell out asap. Sometimes i'll stop to gather a few stacks of fireflies before leaving since i never have enough. If it's autumn i might wait until winter and try to snag a cane before leaving.

I like to stick to the roads as much as possible during the first few days. I HAVE to know where there's a rock source, my beefalo and the swamp. After I have those figured out, I tend to search the surrounding area to find a good base camp. I can usually drop a science machine, firepit and alchemy engine pretty quickly once I find my spot, usually around day 5-7. After that, I hunt spiders for silk, make a beekeeper hat and some bug nets and get 2 bee boxes up and running.

Once that's accomplished I tend to slow down a bit and explore areas... Need to find the Walrus Camps before Winter starts too.

I googled Oasis and I couldn't find much on them other than the fact that they're extremely rare. I don't know what they do.

they are for summer cause :

Only need of one flingo to cover all the surface(at least) of the oasis(and your base).

The others things are not worthy if they burn(desert : spiky and cacti).

cacti for summer : guacamole, flower salad(cool down and 40hp) and summer frest

ponds for frogs

volt goats nearby for ice cream/melonsicle/food

buzzards for the OPest way to gain food

and catcoon houses

Archived