New player

Both are challenging but Reign of Giants more so. Gameplay experience wise, Reign of Giants is way more fun than the base game. Personally every game is a challenge early on, the more you play the more you learn. I would say play the DLC first, if you find it tough (we all have at some stage) you can start a new game with the DLC turned off (toggle for on/off before you start a new game).

Warning. Once you play Reign of Giants I doubt you would ever feel to go back to the vanilla game.

Give the normal game at least several plays first. The dlc is meant to give more of a challenge, and you won't be going back to vanilla afterwards when you've tried. Hah hah hah.

Maxwells Door is the real meat of the game, challenge wise. I'd avoid it for a while. Pick a character you feel most comfortable with, and keep checking up on the Don't Starve wiki for information on items, farming and so forth. 

Welcome to the world of Don't Starve!

Like others have said, I would recommend learning the mechanics and basics of vanilla before venturing into RoG. Once you can survive comfortably through winter, try Maxwell's Door. After that, start a RoG world and enjoy the new challenges it has to bring! Good luck!

Archived