Multiplayer sanity effects?

I thought about low sanity effects in Don't Starve Together:

- I think that if one player has low sanity, only he is able to see the monsters. Its his own mind after all.

- If players sanity goes to zero, other players still shouldnt see the monsters. It will be funny seeing your friend swinging his weapon in the air like a maniac!

- If your sanity goes low your friends should start looking weird, to increase the effect.

Do you guys agree with me? Or not?

Let me know.

I thought about low sanity effects in Don't Starve Together:

- I think that if one player has low sanity, only he is able to see the monsters. Its his own mind after all.

- If players sanity goes to zero, other players still shouldnt see the monsters. It will be funny seeing your friend swinging his weapon in the air like a maniac!

- If your sanity goes low your friends should start looking weird, to increase the effect.

Do you guys agree with me? Or not?

Let me know.

Me and a couple of others pretty much have the same thought about sanity in MP. Personally I'd like it if the insane characters slowly get a more terrified look on their face (like the idle animations when becoming more and more insane), and of course that image of the insane hitting thin air. They are insane, you are sane, so you cannot see the shadow creatures yourself. Always good to see more people thinking the same :D

Me and a couple of others pretty much have the same thought about sanity in MP. Personally I'd like it if the insane characters slowly get a more terrified look on their face (like the idle animations when becoming more and more insane), and of course that image of the insane hitting thin air. They are insane, you are sane, so you cannot see the shadow creatures yourself. Always good to see more people thinking the same :grin:

It would be also funny to see if the equipped shadow armor/sword was invisible to sane players. Only insane players would be able to see the equipped shadow armor and sword, unless they dropped the items, which would make them visible to both insane and sane players.

If we only see hallucinations when we have reduced sanity then what happens if we all have reduced sanity at the same time?

Does that mean we all see separate hallucinations? Or do we see each others hallucinations?

I would guess it makes more sense to have it as separate. But obviously the hallucinations on my screen should be programmed never to go near/through a friend. So my hallucinations will never interact with you and yours will never interact with me. Does that make sense or am I saying this all wrong?

If we only see hallucinations when we have reduced sanity then what happens if we all have reduced sanity at the same time?

Does that mean we all see separate hallucinations? Or do we see each others hallucinations?

I would guess it makes more sense to have it as separate. But obviously the hallucinations on my screen should be programmed never to go near/through a friend. So my hallucinations will never interact with you and yours will never interact with me. Does that make sense or am I saying this all wrong?

When you become sane again, the shadows despawn. However, sometimes they seem to hang about anyway. As soon as you go insane again, they aggro of course.

What I am trying to say is, the shadow creatures act more like a creature rather then a hallucination, because they will roam around even while you are sane. So it would make more sense to me if two insane people could see the same terrorbeak.

@J20hawkz, It makes sense with seperate hallucinations. At least to me.

It's your hallucinations/nightmares, not your friends, so I think it'd be better having it seperate. Seeing your friend fighting with the air will be a funny thing!

@J20hawkz, It makes sense with seperate hallucinations. At least to me.

It's your hallucinations/nightmares, not your friends, so I think it'd be better having it seperate. Seeing your friend fighting with the air will be a funny thing!

Except they aren't techically hallucinations. Just multi-deminsional creatures.

Except they aren't techically hallucinations. Just multi-deminsional creatures.

That's true, but I'd say they are more hallucinations than creatures. Although, that's just my personal opinion. 

- And the problem is ending up in the ruins. How the hell will they work if you have seperate hallucinations? Maybe it's actually making more sense seeing eachothers, but I think it would be funnier if you couldn't, atleast on the surface :) 

Since they are real creatures who spy on insane people and not hallulcinations and don't think sanity monsters should be visible by everyone, but only target the person causing the insanity. Other players should be able to optionally attack.

The presence of Them isn't only tied to a person mental state as shown by Nightmare Lights, so this would make sense

When you become sane again, the shadows despawn. However, sometimes they seem to hang about anyway. As soon as you go insane again, they aggro of course.

What I am trying to say is, the shadow creatures act more like a creature rather then a hallucination, because they will roam around even while you are sane. So it would make more sense to me if two insane people could see the same terrorbeak.

One sec mate. Are we talking about the same things here? Hallucinations are basically Shadow creatures. Just another name for them. But when I read what you're saying it seems as if you are making them out to be two separate things.

I think I'm reading it wrong sorry.

Can you let me know what your suggestion to sanity is please. Just slap it all into one post.

Since they are real creatures who spy on insane people and not hallulcinations and don't think sanity monsters should be visible by everyone, but only target the person causing the insanity. Other players should be able to optionally attack.

The presence of Them isn't only tied to a person mental state as shown by Nightmare Lights, so this would make sense

One sec mate. Are we talking about the same things here? Hallucinations are basically Shadow creatures. Just another name for them. But when I read what you're saying it seems as if you are making them out to be two separate things.

I think I'm reading it wrong sorry.

Can you let me know what your suggestion to sanity is please. Just slap it all into one post.

I was just using another name for them. I like the word "Shadow", so I like to call them that.

The shadow creatures become less and less visible the more sanity a character has.They are also creatures that travel/tele between dimensions. When sane, you are not able to see them even though they can be there walking around your base. They normally despawn when you are sane, but sometimes they just pile up in one place it feels.

When fighting a shadow creature, it is 100% within the same dimension as the you. So since it is a real creature that has to be in the same dimension to fight the player, I think that everyone can see and fight the same shadow creature when insane (or very close). 

What if after a player's sanity dipped below a certain point, other players started to look like monsters to that player?  And if they gestured to you or performed an action other than mining or chopping a tree, it registered as a roar or a growl to the insane player?

Then, if say the insane were to attack them, they would gain sanity until they saw they were attacking a friend?  And hopefully he wouldn't have died by that point.

i have a idea... the shadow beast appear in the creation of the map but are invisible, when the sanity decrease a loot start to appear and when enter in the nightmare become hostile. Like beefalos in your days jaja.

PD: dunno if can work's like this, the shadows always are watching you in my opinion.

Insane players should have an insanity aura, to encourage getting them back to full mental health.

Also it would be fun seeing a bunch of players become insane because they didnt notice their friend was and stood next to them

Since they're real creatures and not only hallucinations, I think they'd only be visible by insane character, but every insane character sees the same hallucinations as the others.

Has it been confirmed that they're real things? I dont remember this being said anywhere

Has it been confirmed that they're real things? I dont remember this being said anywhere

In the puzzle, in the Codex Umbra, there was the picture of a crawling horror. So we can be pretty sure they are Them or a "messenger" of Them.

In the puzzle, in the Codex Umbra, there was the picture of a crawling horror. So we can be pretty sure they are Them or a "messenger" of Them.

...That's still not necessarily a confirmation they are beings from another dimension or something, for all we know they're a side effect people experience when using the codex's magic.

I personally really want them to be all in the characters head, as there is accounts of people developing wounds and even dying after hallucinating getting hurt. Mind over matter and all that. Very lovecraftian.

...That's still not necessarily a confirmation they are beings from another dimension or something, for all we know they're a side effect people experience when using the codex's magic.

I personally really want them to be all in the characters head, as there is accounts of people developing wounds and even dying after hallucinating getting hurt. Mind over matter and all that. Very lovecraftian.

But only Maxwell uses the Codex, so why would Wilson or whoever suffer from a side effect of something he didn't do ? And in-game, when insane, the player can see that Shadow creatures suffer of physicall restrictions (i.e. they can't pass through walls, etc.).

But only Maxwell uses the Codex, so why would Wilson or whoever suffer from a side effect of something he didn't do ? And in-game, when insane, the player can see that Shadow creatures suffer of physicall restrictions (i.e. they can't pass through walls, etc.).

I'm just assuming that the other magic items that people use (like the staffs and amulets) are based of of things in the codex

Also its very normal for hallucinations and things that interact with the physical world, not in a literal sense of course but like things obeying gravity and relative space (some days when i stay up 24 hours I see bugs crawling on the wall out of the corner of my eye, if what you're saying is true then they should of been phasing through the wall or something when they didnt)  It could also be done for game balance reasons

I'm just assuming that the other magic items that people use (like the staffs and amulets) are based of of things in the codex

Also its very normal for hallucinations and things that interact with the physical world, not in a literal sense of course but like things obeying gravity and relative space (some days when i stay up 24 hours I see bugs crawling on the wall out of the corner of my eye, if what you're saying is true then they should of been phasing through the wall or something when they didnt)  It could also be done for game balance reasons

You're assuming right - my bad, I forgot about staves. And as for the 2nd part, it works if only you are affected by hallucinations. But I think - I'm not sure - that hallucnations make spiders go out of their dens. If it's true, that'd mean that Shadow creatures aren't only the product of our imagination.

You're assuming right - my bad, I forgot about staves. And as for the 2nd part, it works if only you are affected by hallucinations. But I think - I'm not sure - that hallucnations make spiders go out of their dens. If it's true, that'd mean that Shadow creatures aren't only the product of our imagination.

Again, it could be just a balance thing (who says the spiders are normal spiders and not hallucinations?)

Either one of us could be right, but i kinda see the other explanation as lazy? I guess

I'd like there to be deeper themes of mind over matter in DS ever since I saw Wilson's quote, it fits the theme better then "They are other dimensional beings" which just seems like "THEY'RE ALIENS" and the concept loses its mysteriousness and real world implications.

Again, it could be just a balance thing (who says the spiders are normal spiders and not hallucinations?)

Either one of us could be right, but i kinda see the other explanation as lazy? I guess

I'd like there to be deeper themes of mind over matter in DS ever since I saw Wilson's quote, it fits the theme better then "They are other dimensional beings" which just seems like "THEY'RE ALIENS" and the concept loses its mysteriousness and real world implications.

For the balance thing, Hallucinations are easy anyway.

As for the laziness, it could be code-wise, but it would imply more, storywise.

Sure Aliens would destruct evrything in the game, but, I guess you've read some Lovecraft stories, and you saw that, for example, in "The dreams in the Witch house", that these creatures from another world (i.e. aliens) don't ruin the atmosphere at all.

Archived