Cannibalism (not a joke this time)

Cannibalism (not a joke this time)   

432 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannibalism be a thing in the game?

• Yes. Embrace the dark side!
    • No. You psycho...

I really like the idea of such game mechanics in Don't Starve. Just makes things a little more interesting, and fits the theme of the game Pretty well. But as everyone has said, it all goes down to how Klei plans to implement multilayer and death. I just fear that if pvp goes under way, and it's likely that there will be characters who are better then others at fighting, i'm going to die as Maxwell over and over because Cannibal Lizzy/Lector on the server refuses to stop killing everyone. It would be so easy to run everyone down as Wigfrid And Wolfgang.

I really like the idea of such game mechanics in Don't Starve. Just makes things a little more interesting, and fits the theme of the game Pretty well. But as everyone has said, it all goes down to how Klei plans to implement multilayer and death. I just fear that if pvp goes under way, and it's likely that there will be characters who are better then others at fighting, i'm going to die as Maxwell over and over because Cannibal Lizzy/Lector on the server refuses to stop killing everyone. It would be so easy to run everyone down as Wigfrid And Wolfgang.

If the game is pvp, then unfortunately, cannibals or not, you will still have people hunting you down for your supplies, your base or simply for the fun of it. So in regards to the issues with Wigfrid And Wolfgang, they would still be there no matter what.

If it were up to me, I would make it that cannibalism wouldn´t be something you wanted to do. It would hurt your sanity and (maybe) your health. 

seems funny, but it would also make it possible to just skip the problems that this meat might cause(kinda like making honey ham with monster meat)

this is something that should be avoided for balance reasons(also, cooking it doesn't seem to be a problem, it should just deal a bit less of damage)

Maybe the crock pot recipes made out of human meat have different properties that affect only the player who cooked it. Like if Wilson cooked it and only he knew it was human meat, it would hurt his sanity, but any other player would be unknowing and would just be eating "normal" meatballs.

Then again, I see how this could be exploited by players as well.

Exactly this shows that there is a difference between eating a human and eating an animal. If there was no difference, there will be no laws banning killing of humans (or there will also be laws banning eating of animals).

That still doesn´t mean that it doesn´t happen in real life...Especially in situations where people are starving, stuff can get real ugly, like the 1972 Andes flight disaster or The Donner Party

As many others said this could be exploited, but let's say that the multiplayer will not have pvp, we could still have cannibalism, other players don't necessary have to kill each other, just let's say you run across a decaying corpse (still fresh .. uh what a wierd thing to say) and you can just simply devour it that way and all the other things mentioned. This could be exploited also, but at least it doesn't involves pvp and players won't became bloodthirsty barbarians.

PS.: I really liked the Gobbler part:D

Well that´s what I initially thought, I wanted it to be a moral choice to come up when a teammate died; either be a decent human being and bury him or descend into savagery and eat him. No one ever said anything about killing anyone! Geez what a bunch of psychos you guys are...

Also, if I were to implement cannibalism, I would only do it if permadeath was still active in multiplayer, that way it wouldn´t be exploitable.

I thought I was used to the atrocious quality of posts on this forum, but this takes it to a whole different level.

Cannibalism is a terrible idea.  There's already enough reward for killing other players without bringing additional food into it, and the impact on the game's rating wouldn't be worth it.

Do you want groups of friends to kill and eat an unskilled player right off the bat, because even though they have nothing of value, they're worth more as meat than alive?

It's 100% a terrible idea.

Do you want groups of friends to kill and eat an unskilled player right off the bat, because even though they have nothing of value, they're worth more as meat than alive?

...yes. Don't hate me

the food shouldn't be something you wanted to eat, it should have major  drawbacks in a way that you would only eat if necessary, so that it's not so much considered something worth killing another player for, but if you killed him and you are starving(oh, if starving was a thing), you could eat it, but the consequences would be great, like heavily lowering your sanity(oh, if low sanity was a problem) or damaging your health, or something worse that I'm unable to think of

I thought I was used to the atrocious quality of posts on this forum, but this takes it to a whole different level.

Cannibalism is a terrible idea.  There's already enough reward for killing other players without bringing additional food into it, and the impact on the game's rating wouldn't be worth it.

It's 100% a terrible idea.

Ok, let´s go through this together:

1. No need to be rude, we are all friends here. There is no need to start acting like a child just because you disagree with someone else´s opinion.

2. Yes, I agree. If Don´t Starve together has pvp, cannibals or not, it is guaranteed that there will be some players  hunting each other for supplies, bases or simply just for sport. If you had read the post, you would have seen that there is heavy consequences to eating human meat. We have said that it could have a drain on sanity and there have been suggestions that it could also drain health. We have also said that the point of this is not to encourage players to kill each other, but instead raise moral debates between players when teammates die. Do you do the right thing and bury your friend? Or do you do what is necessary for your survival? Even if it means being a monster. It´s up to you.

Ok, let´s go through this together:

1. No need to be rude, we are all friends here. There is no need to start acting like a child just because you disagree with someone else´s opinion.

2. Yes, I agree. If Don´t Starve together has pvp, cannibals or not, it is guaranteed that there will be some players  hunting each other for supplies, bases or simply just for sport. If you had read the post, you would have seen that there is heavy consequences to eating human meat. We have said that it could have a drain on sanity and there have been suggestions that it could also drain health. We have also said that the point of this is not to encourage players to kill each other, but instead raise moral debates between players when teammates die. Do you do the right thing and bury your friend? Or do you do what is necessary for your survival? Even if it means being a monster. It´s up to you.

So is there even any point in the meat?

You can eat it, just be prepared to deal with sanity and maybe health loss. 

"Ok players, don't eat this monster meat. It hurts your sanity and health. However, please use your morals to judge if you should eat this human meat; which is the exact same but more potent."

"Ok players, don't eat this monster meat. It hurts your sanity and health. However, please use your morals to judge if you should eat this human meat; which is the exact same but more potent."

When you are in a really desperate situation, say you are stuck in your camp and you can´t leave because you´ll freeze or overheat, or any bad situation you can think of, that´s where eating the meat is an option, when things are really desperate. Any other time, you would want to pretty much avoid it entirely because of the sanity drop. It would probably be like: +70 hunger points, -50 sanity points and -10 health points

Does that make more sense now?

When you are in a really desperate situation, say you are stuck in your camp and you can´t leave because you´ll freeze or overheat, or any bad situation you can think of, that´s where eating the meat is an option, when things are really desperate. Any other time, you would want to pretty much avoid it entirely because of the sanity drop. It would probably be like: +70 hunger points, -50 sanity points and -10 health points

Not really. There is so many ways to get food, and monster meat is still a better alternative. Much more common easier on the stats when cooked. If you were wise enough to store the human meat in case there was a problem, why weren't you wise enough to store food that was easier to obtain? Why is the human meat full of hunger points where a pigman isn't? Why do we want any possible upside in a teammate dying? Even if I can't leave my camp because of the weather, I can still catch birds or kill the nearest creature. I can even cook seeds from birch nuts, which are easy to farm. If it was winter that was giving me problems, I can still move around by using a torch and igniting trees until I reach the bunnies. Now if I don't have the resources for a torch, what will eating for one more day do?

Honestly, who dies of starvation? And the moral value of the meat is based off what the player feels, but you are suggesting stat changes to get the moral point across. Three cooked green mushrooms and a blue mushroom is all it takes negate the downsides to the meat.

Not really. There is so many ways to get food, and monster meat is still a better alternative. Much more common easier on the stats when cooked. If you were wise enough to store the human meat in case there was a problem, why weren't you wise enough to store food that was easier to obtain? Why is the human meat full of hunger points where a pigman isn't? Why do we want any possible upside in a teammate dying? Even if I can't leave my camp because of the weather, I can still catch birds or kill the nearest creature. I can even cook seeds from birch nuts, which are easy to farm. If it was winter that was giving me problems, I can still move around by using a torch and igniting trees until I reach the bunnies. Now if I don't have the resources for a torch, what will eating for one more day do?

Honestly, who dies of starvation? And the moral value of the meat is based off what the player feels, but you are suggesting stat changes to get the moral point across. Three cooked green mushrooms and a blue mushroom is all it takes negate the downsides to the meat.

You wouldn´t store it. I was suggesting more like, when you were both stuck in a camp and you could´t leave because of the climate, and one of you happens to die, that´s when the issue presents itself. Of course, that can be avoided if you are smart enough and prepare before hand, but the game is unpredictable, things can go south real quick. 

Who dies of starvation? Everything in the game is caused by starvation one way or another, it´s what motivates you to take risks in the game, if you didn´t have starvation then you would just stay at your base all day. Point is, if you decide to eat a player, it means you don´t have to risk your life hunting for food that day, and even if you won´t last long afterwards, I don´t see how that matters. I´ve had many times when I´ve been hanging on from a thread, knowing that everything I was doing would be pointless, but I kept on. Do you just give up when things get bad? 

Out of curiosity, what would be your ideal way of having players die? Because I really don´t want player´s bodies to just despawn like they were nothing.

It would probably be like: +70 hunger points, -50 sanity points and -10 health points

That is actually a very low penalty for cannibalism. It should decrease 100% of sanity and at least 95% of health. Or to make it more realistic, there should be a significant chance of getting a neurodegenerative prion disorder which will automatically kill you in 10-20 days.

You are still arguing that this will bring some interesting moral choices. I cannot see how. Players don't use their real life morals when playing games, if they did, nobody sane will play FPS games. So the majority of players switch off their real life morality when playing a game (because they say it's just a game), therefore I really cannot agree with your point.

I think the damage that the introduction of cannibalism to the game could cause outweighs any potential advantages. The ratings of the game will probably increase and many players will not buy the game which features cannibalism, or if they are children, their parents will not buy them DS.

But since nobody from the developers has posted anything in this thread, I assume that they do not take this idea seriously (I hope).

That is actually a very low penalty for cannibalism. It should decrease 100% of sanity and at least 95% of health. Or to make it more realistic, there should be a significant chance of getting a neurodegenerative prion disorder which will automatically kill you in 10-20 days.

You are still arguing that this will bring some interesting moral choices. I cannot really see how. Players don't use their real life morals when playing games, if they did, nobody sane will play FPS games. So the majority of players switch off their real life morality when playing a game (because they say it's just a game), therefore I really cannot agree with your point.

I think the damage that the introduction of cannibalism to the game could cause outweighs any potential advantages. The ratings of the game will probably increase and many players will not buy the game which features cannibalism, or if they are children, their parents will not buy them DS.

But since nobody from the developers have posted anything in this thread, I assume that they do not take this idea seriously (I hope)

Probably, I wish they would at least say something, a simple "No" would be nice.

Yeah, you are probably right on that too. It´s not worth compromising the ratings. I just thought it would make the game slightly edgier and more unique.

Personally, I really enjoy moral choices in games. You mentioned FPS games and how they don´t work, which I don´t think is true, have you played Spec Ops: The Line? Also, stuff like The Walking Dead work great. Also, maybe moral choices isn´t the right word for it. It´s like, I don´t know, for example when in Minecraft you find another player and you have to take the call to either kill him or not, that kinda of stuff. I don´t know what you would call it.

It´s like, I don´t know, for example when in Minecraft you find another player and you have to take the call to either kill him or not, that kinda of stuff. I don´t know what you would call it.

That is actually a different issue. In Minecraft, I believe that if you kill the player they suffer some disadvantage (maybe they lose their progress, or inventory, idk, I haven't played Minecraft). So you can make some basic moral choices if you want to make some real person sad or not. But with cannibalism, the person has already died, so in the game, eating them or not will not be a moral choice.

That is actually a different issue. In Minecraft, I believe that if you kill the player they suffer some disadvantage (maybe they lose their progress, or inventory, idk, I haven't played Minecraft). So you can make some basic moral choices if you want to make some real person sad or not. But with cannibalism, the person has already died, so in the game, eating them or not will not be a moral choice.

It is if you care about them, surely. I don´t think I could eat my friend that easily, even if he is already dead.

It is if you care about them, surely. I don´t think I could eat my friend that easily, even if he is already dead.

Maybe, but I think that many people will use "the FPS mentality" - it's just a game, nobody will get hurt, so why not do it?

Maybe, but I think that many people will use "the FPS mentality" - it's just a game, nobody will get hurt, so why not do it?

True. Even though I suggested this idea, I don´t think I would ever use it myself. It´s not that I am sensitive to gore or anything, I just would´t do it out of respect. I would very much like to be able to bury them though.

To be honest, I don´t really care for the cannibalism part that much, I just really don´t want when players die to vanish into thin air. I want it to be an event, killing someone shouldn´t be nothing, there should be a corpse, which I think could act like an evil flower which drains sanity.

Who dies of starvation? Everything in the game is caused by starvation one way or another, it´s what motivates you to take risks in the game, if you didn´t have starvation then you would just stay at your base all day. Point is, if you decide to eat a player, it means you don´t have to risk your life hunting for food that day, and even if you won´t last long afterwards, I don´t see how that matters. I´ve had many times when I´ve been hanging on from a thread, knowing that everything I was doing would be pointless, but I kept on. Do you just give up when things get bad? 

Out of curiosity, what would be your ideal way of having players die? Because I really don´t want player´s bodies to just despawn like they were nothing.

I don't give up when things get bad, but I never thought it would be a good idea to eat a teammate to bail me out of a problem.

I have posted the skull respawn different character thing before, I don't have the time at the moment to repost it. Maybe later.

I dunno. If a chunk of cartoon ham flew spawned when a player died. I don't think it would raise red flags with many people, those that did notice might think it was just silly and dark at that point. I don't think it would be a big deal via word of mouth.

Archived