There's really no incentive to want to play through Summer

I think you can use the word better loosely. Since the dragonfly is 100 times harder to kill and more dangerous to fight. His items are also only useful for summer. While the Deerclops is good for summer and spring.

Armor that sets your attacker on fire is useful anytime. Fireproof containers are useful anytime fire hounds can attack, that's 3 seasons.

I hope these summer discussions are encouraging Klei to put more points of interest into ROG summer. (which I'm sure they are going to anyway; it is in beta after-all). But, they've chosen to make it the toughest season. The original game had 1 season totally easy and 1 totally hard. And resource collection was way easier in the easy season.  Now summer is the hardest season, autumn is the easiest, while winter and spring are in-between. It's totally within the spirit of the game for different time periods have different levels of challenge and/or danger, even without compensating resources. (Night is harder to survive than daytime, and it's harder to harvest resources at night, too.)

It's interesting to have tougher and easier periods, and getting through a challenge can be it's own reward, in life and games.

Not really. You regret using it after you realize that the attacker you set on fire can spread fires everywhere.

And the fact that if they die from the fire, almost all of their drops will immediately burn

One of our Don't Starve collegue made a post just about the scalemail, see this thread: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35551-scalemail-burns-everything/

I don't want to rewrite what I wrote in that thread, but long story short: the scale mail is good under certain circumstances, you just need to use it wisely. See the linked thread for more details =)

Not really. You regret using it after you realize that the attacker you set on fire can spread fires everywhere.

Sorry. It "can be useful in any season". People were saying that the loot available in summer is only useful in summer, and I was pointing out that that is false.

If I said "table knives can be useful anytime" would you say "not if you hold one up in the air during a lighting storm?"

Not that Flaming Armour is uberuseful or my favorite thing ever, but it does allow an interesting, different approach to fighting.

People are complaining that summer isn't interesting, then they complain that the interesting things make it hard and the beneficial stuff is hard to use, then they want special items to get in the summer that are useful all year round, then if those exist they want it to be obvious how to use them and they want it so if they use it wrong it still works well for them, BLEAGH!

Armor that lights mobs that hit you on fire is too amusing to pass up.

Summer is the best time to catch bees.

If you need charcoal, forest fires aren't a problem.

Summer is alright for getting wool and poop from beefalo. Yeah, the night is shorter, but it's long enough. Wool and poop collecting can be a more efficient way to get fuel than chopping wood. (plus, no wool guardians!)

Someone suggested lakes that dry up in Summer. Drying up the ponds might make more sense. A dry pond bottom could be the den of a new loot-dropping neutral mob (not my idea). 

It would be really nice to have beach areas. Crabs to eat or be eaten by, swimming to cool off (you should have to unload your inventory first). Beach umbrellas to build your own shady areas. I would love to see a Don't Starve Insanity version of the Geoduck. Those things are weird enough in reality.

ponds cant dry up because one of wilson quotes when examining the pond is i cant see the bottom

Not that Flaming Armour is uberuseful or my favorite thing ever, but it does allow an interesting, different approach to fighting.

People are complaining that summer isn't interesting, then they complain that the interesting things make it hard and the beneficial stuff is hard to use, then they want special items to get in the summer that are useful all year round, then if those exist they want it to be obvious how to use them and they want it so if they use it wrong it still works well for them, BLEAGH!

actually, it's just that the Scalearmour is just hardly benneficial, as burning stuff all around you is probably going to hurt you and your world more than your enemies. It really is not a smart decision in most of the scenarios you can get, which is basicly the point of the game(or was, before the Old Bell)

Archived