Bosses still kind of easy, don't you think?

I think that the giants are "easy" because we have too much at our disposal. Last time I fought the guardian, I froze him and put down some bee mines. I won. Last time I fought a spider queen I had some lobsters. I won. Last time I fought the deerclosp, I ran him through a bunch of tooth traps. I won. Most of us, I think I can safely say, feel like limiting ourselves, like @mrtwoface said we can, is not what the game is for.

These are very hard bosses, but there are so many ways to kill them. And it isn't like klei can just make them un-kitable with random attack patterns, then they are just forcing us to take every advantage we have. Alternatively, they become too hard and unkillable. They can all be spammed with blowdarts, which are easy to make. They can all be blown up with gunpower, easy to make. 

Most players that live through one battle live through all the rest. My first deerclosp I remember killing easy, even though I had no idea what to do besides whack it with a spear and kite. The reason I lived is because after getting hit maybe two times, I knew exactly what I had to do.

In the end, the bosses can be beatable, or not. They have to be beatable. If they aren't, players complain. If they are, skilled players aren't challenged.

I think that the giants are "easy" because we have too much at our disposal. Last time I fought the guardian, I froze him and put down some bee mines. I won. Last time I fought a spider queen I had some lobsters. I won. Last time I fought the deerclosp, I ran him through a bunch of tooth traps. I won. Most of us, I think I can safely say, feel like limiting ourselves, like @mrtwoface said we can, is not what the game is for.

These are very hard bosses, but there are so many ways to kill them. And it isn't like klei can just make them un-kitable with random attack patterns, then they are just forcing us to take every advantage we have. Alternatively, they become too hard and unkillable. They can all be spammed with blowdarts, which are easy to make. They can all be blown up with gunpower, easy to make. 

Most players that live through one battle live through all the rest. My first deerclosp I remember killing easy, even though I had no idea what to do besides whack it with a spear and kite. The reason I lived is because after getting hit maybe two times, I knew exactly what I had to do.

In the end, the bosses can be beatable, or not. They have to be beatable. If they aren't, players complain. If they are, skilled players aren't challenged.

I guess it just depends on what is fun for you. If setting up a clever trap for the giant or summoning bigfoot to stomp on it is more fun for you then kiting it out with your heart beating all the way through, then that will be the way you do it. There is no right or wrong way, and I personally just don't enjoy the quick and easy ways like gunpowder and the old bell unless it is an annoying Treeguard or something like that. I want to have a fight to remember for a good while. 

I guess it just depends on what is fun for you. If setting up a clever trap for the giant or summoning bigfoot to stomp on it is more fun for you then kiting it out with your heart beating all the way through, then that will be the way you do it. There is no right or wrong way, and I personally just don't enjoy the quick and easy ways like gunpowder and the old bell unless it is an annoying Treeguard or something like that. I want to have a fight to remember for a good while. 

I love to fight things, but tanking is impossoble on a giant, and kiting/trappping/footing is too easy. In the end I usually chop everything into bits with a dark sword.

I thought the dragonfly would of try to spray me with lava, that might help him against rapid blowdart attacks/ panflute / bell.

I was surprised that you can freeze him, I thought the ice staff would be too puny for his might. Kind of like how Mr. King of Winter can be frozen too.

I thought the dragonfly would of try to spray me with lava, that might help him against rapid blowdart attacks/ panflute / bell.

I was surprised that you can freeze him, I thought the ice staff would be too puny for his might. Kind of like how Mr. King of Winter can be frozen too.

He can't be frozen while in fiery mode of doom.

Well, i guess he can, but he thaws out extremely fast so it's hard to freeze him.

The real issue I think is how powerful the gear the player can equip is. 

Ignoring  ranged weapons and magic.

a football helm and a log suit is  two separate  80% damage reduction sources.    96%  damage reduction is going to render most things a joke.

also about wigfrid .. she is more powerful than prenerf Wolfgang. As long as you have  2 forms of armor on her , she is practically immortal. so much so that i shifted my entire diet  to cooked monster meat and monster lasagna.  

killing just two nightmare beasts will pretty much keep her at full hp and put her back to 50% sanity  instantly.  I cannot stress enough how stupidly op she is . 

Bosses need to have really unpredictable, spazmatic attack patterns. Similar to the Depths Worm or the Tentacle. Maybe give them some kind of ranged attack they can use while moving (Like in a bullet hell game), or minions. I always thought the Bearger had a druid-y look to it, so minions would suit it well as some kind of "giant vine" monster.

toying w/ bosses attack pattern can only make them unbeatable at some point in melee fight.
but they still will be easy to kill w/ other tactics (gunpowder, blow darts etc).

no, what we really need is different strategy for giants.

rather then be a direct threat to player, they should be a threat to our resources.

Imagine f.e dragonfly that spawns at day 10 of summer somewhere on the map and starts burning precious trees, berry bushes and other things. This will force players to hunt it , and will cancel "home field advantage" for player.

Archived