Dealing with dragonfly

porps

I'd never seen dragonfly until the last patch. I was dissapointed every summer that he didnt spawn.. but now my last 2 games (spring start)  have given me a dragonfly in the first summer and that guy is solid! 

I know i could beat him with panflute>old bell combo but that feels kinda lame to me, i prefer to actually fight these giants.. so basically i'm here looking for tips on defeating him without using old bell, and given the fact that i wont have been able to make blowdarts cos i started in spring.. is it really suicide to try? i cant even kite him cos he's too fast and no walking cane if you havent seen a winter.

I have an answer to you: it is not suicide to man fight him. 

Here are some basic steps:

1. Prepare for battle.Grab 2 log suits and two football helmets for safety's sake, heck you can just have one of each! Have your hambat ready. 

2. Bandage your wounds. Stack some salves or jerky.

3. Endure the heat. Remember to have something to counter heat waves in summer

4. Tank him. There is no way to run away from his swing animation(although I've done it twice) so tank the swing attack. 

5. Kiting. After tanking his swing attack, you can hit him three times. Afterwards, RUN AWAY FROM HIS AOE ATTACK. 

Just keep tanking him and attacking him in this manner. Remember to heal up in the midst of battle.

GLHF

Edit:

postscript:

he is the only giant to have the lowest health and the highest damage output. You can kill any giants without taking any health but he is the only exception. Approach him with caution. 

Did you know he stops lighting everything on fire if you give him what he wants?

Yep. I'd rather kill him than appease him.

Here's how I'd do it.

I farm hounds.

I kill snowbirds for the feathers.

I always grab reeds.

And then I spit Blow Darts at it.

Like i said - Spring start. Dragonfly comes in summer. There are no snowbirds until winter

If you do it right, thulecite armor duration will decrease to 25% (only if you run away from his aoe). If not, you will get destroyed. For dark sword, I don't recommend using it due to the sanity penalty. The fight can be long so you should use a weapon with high durability and high damage output, which can only be hambat. 

I wore the ruins crown and armor while hitting him with the dark sword. I brought the giant feather to keep me from overheating in mid-battle. I also used a ham bat, and tried to kite so the burn damage wouldn't shred me.

I went insane at the end of the fight, but I still won :D

I would not attempt fighting him without a bat bat or darts.

If you do it right, thulecite armor duration will decrease to 25% (only if you run away from his aoe). If not, you will get destroyed. For dark sword, I don't recommend using it due to the sanity penalty. The fight can be long so you should use a weapon with high durability and high damage output, which can only be hambat. 

Does the hambat deals more damage than the Tentacle Spike?

Does the hambat deals more damage than the Tentacle Spike?

Hambat has the second highest damage output for melee weapon. Further more, it has no durability in its 10 day life span and is easy to craft. I recommend it to Wolfgang, Wigfird and WX-78 users since they often live in a dangerous life. 

Archived