Rocklobsters spawning from nothing?

I accidentally brought one Rocklobster up from caves and almost instantly brought him back down.

There was not a single rocklobster anywhere but then after couple of days I noticed rocklobster walking around near my base.

Do they really spawn from nothing or is this a bug?

I'm scared

I think its:

A) either a bug and now they spawn in your world, from the hole whence they came from...

B) you learned them how to climb up a rope and now they be like "YA'LL NEED TO COME UP 'ERE, ITS SUNNY."

I fear its the last one though...

Maxwell banished the Rock Lobsters to the caves because they breed like rabbits on XTC, guess you made them come back up...oops...

New rock lobster every 4 - 5 days, its not blazing fast if you ask me.

The thing I done with them is bring them to surface, lead them to the swamps and force attack and run, so they stay on the swamps killing stuff there.

Its good that all followers now can go on surface, its my reward for exploring the cave and it should stay like that.

If you dont want them just force attack them before leaving the caves.

Its really error in herd mechanics, it gather herd members only from small area like one screen, so any herd member that wonders further than that will create next herd and so on. Thats why beefalos can be in the world in large numbers.

Its really error in herd mechanics, it gather herd members only from small area like one screen, so any herd member that wonders further than that will create next herd and so on. Thats why beefalos can be in the world in large numbers.

So once that rocklobster has made hew herd somewhere it keeps spawning new herd members to that location even if I bring them back in to cave or kill them?

Nope, killing them wont work. Once you bring even one to the surface, it's done. The best thing you can do is bring them BACK TO THE CAVES and do this every 4-5 days. If you bring them to any other place in about 50 days, it's overrun with them.

Then its a bug or you just missed one, if your theory is correct find all beefalos and kill them all, after some time new one should spawn according to your theory.

In an old save, I used console commands and murdered every single Rock Lobster on the surface and in the caves I found them, 5 days later boom. New ones

Unless you used the c_gonext cheat and it told you that no rock lobsters were remaining, how do you know you killed every last one of them?

It is possible you missed 1.

In an old save, I used console commands and murdered every single Rock Lobster on the surface and in the caves I found them, 5 days later boom. New ones

Interesting, I will check that tommorow, but beefalos use the same mechanics for spawning, so if it works with rocklobster why its not working with beefalos?

All that seems strange and needs some testing, will report back with results soon.

I love to make herds of Rock Lobsters on the surface, they are very useful creatures during frog rains (2 can keep a whole rain of frogs distracted while you trap and eat the frogs) , giant attacks (2 kept bearger swatting at them while I "drove" bees, dogs and frogs to him to kill him)  and swamps ( a herd made my swamp a tentacle spike farm). And they are darn cute!!!

Archived