Giant fights are too easy

I know that the Giants are (probably?)  not finished yet, but the main problem is not with them.

First there's the Old Bell. I know that it's a great item, and I personally love it, but since you're probably only going to fight a difficult giant, like the Bearger(don't get me started on the Goose) by the end of the first season, by that time you will already have the Old Bell(since you can get one on day 9) and a Pan flute that spawns along with it, so it's just putting the giant to sleep and then making the Big Foot step on it.
after the first winter it get's even easier, since you can just use an ice staff instead of the non-renewable pan flute

And the other problem is that, since Beefalo spend the entire Spring mating, when you finish a Seasons cycle(or an year), you have plenty of breathing time, as your Beefalo will just make up for the losses they suffered against the giants for an entire season, with an ocasional Goose that can barely kill one or two.

I'm obviously not the best at Gameplay solutions, so I'll let you guys(which includes the Devs, obviously) decide on the best solutions(and also judge my opinions)

Tis true. What can we say? This is basically the repercussion of periodic attacks that give breathing space in between. 

Lots of threads with discourses in this direction. You might want to browse around a little and join the discussions with your 2 cents. (Not to discredit your thread). 

Interesting articulation of Spring though. You've also got the killer bees. 

The giants are fine for threats that can assault a newb in their first and second seasons.  If you want late-game challenge it needs to BE late game.  Not amping up the current game for pros.  I know it's POSSIBLE to get the old bell and pan flute in time for first giant, but a newb is probably not going to figure that all out in time.  Might not even *find* all that stuff by end of their first season, unless they're comfortable doing nothing but exploration for first 10 days or so.

Dragonfly is too easy?

well, I personally found the Dragonfly the most fun and hard giant, with it's fire damage and the ability to wreck all the adults in a beefalo herd, but still, if you put it to sleep/freeze it and summon the Big Foot/bring it to another Beefalo herd(that's what I did) it doesn't take to long to die, and the beefalo are really plenty in Summer, since it's right after Spring.

but yeah, I've really enjoyed the amount of thought and hardships of fighting it without those resources(like beemines or just go Hambat and log suit till one of you dies, for example), and I think it would be better for the gameplay experience in general if players were more forced into situations like that, instead of the common "oh, crap. Giant.... let's just run near those beefalo/get this ice staff and pan flute"

The giants are fine for threats that can assault a newb in their first and second seasons.  If you want late-game challenge it needs to BE late game.  Not amping up the current game for pros.  I know it's POSSIBLE to get the old bell and pan flute in time for first giant, but a newb is probably not going to figure that all out in time.  Might not even *find* all that stuff by end of their first season, unless they're comfortable doing nothing but exploration for first 10 days or so.

that's why I also pointed out the nearly infinite beefalo. In vanilla Don't Starve I got to a point where I was too scared of the Deerclops, not only because it could wreck my base, but also for the fact that I had like 5 beefalo in the entire world. It got me into some really desperate situations like spend some days trying to summon Treeguards and pacify them, catching entire chests of bees and making bee mines, and even once I had a one on one fight with him. Those were the best moments in my DS experience(at least with bosses), and I don't want to see it crumble just because they want to make DS spring look like Real World spring.

and yeah, I figured out the Old Bell stuff in my first playthrough and managed to make 2 of them before the end of the first summer, which was when the Dragonfly attacked(but for some reason, I stuck to beefalo....)

and yeah, I figured out the Old Bell stuff in my first playthrough and managed to make 2 of them before the end of the first summer, which was when the Dragonfly attacked(but for some reason, I stuck to beefalo....)

I meant total DS newbs, not RoG newbs.    That is a problem I have with the old bell though - everything to make it is in one spot.  The blueprint, wings, and flower.   Don't even need a shadow manipulator That seems really weird to me, compared to everything else.  Honestly the glommer and everything associated with it seems strange and off to me. Like they were thought up by an entirely different team or person.  I don't feel like they fit well with the world as a whole, in terms of their being a self-contained sort of thing.

I always just spawn the blueprint once I find the statue, because I don't want to have to destroy it just to get a blueprint.  And then I never end up using the bells.  I definitely feel like the bell should require something more - one of the subterranean gems, I guess.  Otherwise they may as well make the glommer just drop the bell when you kill it, as things stand.  So I guess if the main point was 'the bell should be harder to get', I agree on that.

I really don't know what to do in my world after killing 3 ancient guardians. I'll probably start fresh using teleportato.

The old bell isn't all that useful, I used it twice for the purpose of timber, instead of killing the giants. Once you get to know the giant's attack, kiting isn't all that hard. So, I reserve killing them with hambat and thulecite armor just to feel some adrenaline. 

As i said on the other thread, simply buffing krampus would be enough, no need to nerf the bell.

well, as much as I'd love seeing Krampus get buffed, there would still be many ways to kill the gloomer without summoning it(spiders, for example), so a buffed Krampus wouldn't solve *this* problem

(also, why are you guys giving so little input on the Beefalo thing?)

well, as much as I'd love seeing Krampus get buffed, there would still be many ways to kill the gloomer without summoning it(spiders, for example), so a buffed Krampus wouldn't solve *this* problem

(also, why are you guys giving so little input on the Beefalo thing?)

If your beefalo population is robust enough to handle giants, congrats to you. It is definitely not the case in my world. A single giant could probably kill all the beefalo in my world.

With respect to the giant fights, think about it like this: While you, I and the other forumites may be having an easy time with the Giants, we are a very self-selected group of DS players, who are enthusiastic enough to join the forums and talk about the game. The corollary is that most of us are probably quite skilled players in comparison to the general DS players, and therefore to us what seems easy is likely very difficult to most players. I.e., I think the giants are basically meeting the requirement they're being developed towards: Moderately increase the difficulty and increase variety in the game.

They're NOT intended as our version of MMORPG "End Game Raid Content".

Archived