I've spoken a lot about birds today in a previous forum post, so that in turn also got me thinking, wouldn't it be good for birds to randomly drop a feather every now and again?

I'm not talking about running after some random crow with your Razor just to clarify.

What I'm suggesting is, whenever a bird and it flies off it has a small chance, lets call it 5-10% chance of dropping its respective coloured feather. It would be also be a good idea that if you run at a bird to startle it, the drop is increased a small amount 15%. 

Furthermore, captured birds kept in the Bird Cage, I believe it would be awesome if they were to drop feathers too. I have two possible ways of letting this happen.

First, if you feed the bird with a Cooked Meat, it has a 30% chance to drop its respective colour feather as well as its normal egg. 

Or second, once every 3-5 days it will drop a single feather, which technically works out percentage wise the same as one randomly dropping in the wild. This also includes keeping your bird healthy, as it would starve after two days meaning taking care of it will have the trade off for a steady supply of feathers as well as its common usage of food replenishment.

Thanks for reading,

Kruze. 

I don't mean this offensively, but do you realize the garbage dump of feathers that the worlds would become if the birds dropped a feather even 5% of the time they flew off, not to mention that startle 15% buff? Since feathers are used for rather powerful weapons, I think they ought to remain moderately inconvenient to collect.

I don't mean this offensively, but do you realize the garbage dump of feathers that the worlds would become if the birds dropped a feather even 5% of the time they flew off, not to mention that startle 15% buff? Since feathers are used for rather powerful weapons, I think they ought to remain moderately inconvenient to collect.

I wouldn't of found it offensive, its a gentleman's debate over a video game, I agree with the inconvenience bit most definitely and perhaps the percentages are too high, bearing in mind I just made them up for my Suggestion to be more structured, though making it like the Krampus and Butterfly Butter drop would be silly.

Either way answer this, the idea of having a rare drop from birds, or just the cage example meaning you have to catch a bird first before you have the chance at a special drop, is not a fairly good idea and quite enticing?

This also aids Plague Mouse mention, if you had a captured Snow Bird, you actually have a minor chance of collecting feathers also. (Edit: Throughout the the Four Seasons not just Winter.)

They could blow away in the wind, like ashes.

I actually like this idea, so long as there's something to steal them.

Maybe there could be a little voodoo demon thing, kinda like the Mandrake but eviler, that picks up the feathers to make blowdarts. That is, the game keeps track of how many feathers the monster picked up, and it can shoot that many blow darts of the respective type. It has a melee attack too incase it runs out.

As for sleep darts, how about if it hits you with them four times rapidly, you fall asleep and wake up in a prison of some kind?

I like the idea of caged birds giving off feathers. The cage costs enough so it isn't spammable without great lengths (more lengths than a few boomerangs). My issue with the current system is I need to kill birds for feathers, and I don't much enjoy killing any animals. In fact, I keep a catcoon near my base in iron bars (it has a play-pen... ) just for my feather supply - because I refuse to kill them~!

Well, any system that can be used to get feathers - even if it means capturing the birds and then using a tool to pluck them - would be preferable. Hell, using the shaver on captured birds sounds good to me. The issue is the inconsistent drop, right?

Maybe there could be a little voodoo demon thing, kinda like the Mandrake but eviler, that picks up the feathers to make blowdarts. That is, the game keeps track of how many feathers the monster picked up, and it can shoot that many blow darts of the respective type. It has a melee attack too incase it runs out.

As for sleep darts, how about if it hits you with them four times rapidly, you fall asleep and wake up in a prison of some kind?

How do you sleep at night? ...

I like the idea of caged birds giving off feathers. The cage costs enough so it isn't spammable without great lengths (more lengths than a few boomerangs). My issue with the current system is I need to kill birds for feathers, and I don't much enjoy killing any animals. In fact, I keep a catcoon near my base in iron bars (it has a play-pen... ) just for my feather supply - because I refuse to kill them~!

Well, any system that can be used to get feathers - even if it means capturing the birds and then using a tool to pluck them - would be preferable. Hell, using the shaver on captured birds sounds good to me. The issue is the inconsistent drop, right?

How do you sleep at night? ...

In all honesty I never considered the Catcoon thing, I tend to avoid the new biome because the Poison Birchnuts my head in honestly, so many posts asking for their spawning to be reduced from 50% aha, can't be dealing with them, the problem is manually woodcutting them, which is impossible and you get interrupted by root attacks and mini minions constantly.

In all honesty I never considered the Catcoon thing, I tend to avoid the new biome because the Poison Birchnuts my head in honestly, so many posts asking for their spawning to be reduced from 50% aha, can't be dealing with them, the problem is manually woodcutting them, which is impossible and you get interrupted by root attacks and mini minions constantly.

Yes, the whole process is a bit convoluted. I have been bypassing the whole problem by waiting for them to de-aggro and then killing them when they won't fight back, but some people feel like this is cheating. I do argue, however, that if no one tests how useful the drops are, then that aspect will have to wait till the following patch to get any attention.

But yes, Catcoons are an amazing source of morsels and feathers. Since I discovered as much, I've scouted for clumps of their mounds in a spacing small enough to fit nearly on screen or just off - 2+ is ideal - and, this way, I find I've got a great source of steady food and feathers.

But be warned: do not place them near pigs or bees or anything they can attack - like, anything! They are aggro as all hell and will try to punch-on with everything. With their 9 lives, whilst it's a nice investment of hats and other goodies from dropped victims to the catcoons (even pigs struggle 1vs1), 9 lives over 100 days is a real short-term investment when everything is going up in wildflames. 

I do wonder about needing to 'chop' birch trees, particularly when other NPCs can punch them down (Catcoons and Pigs, for sure). Very difficult to deal with them. All I can wonder is that perhaps killing their minions should damage them? That, or 'chopping' should really be more effective than '10 strikes to kill' or whatever.

Yes, the whole process is a bit convoluted. I have been bypassing the whole problem by waiting for them to de-aggro and then killing them when they won't fight back, but some people feel like this is cheating. I do argue, however, that if no one tests how useful the drops are, then that aspect will have to wait till the following patch to get any attention.

But yes, Catcoons are an amazing source of morsels and feathers. Since I discovered as much, I've scouted for clumps of their mounds in a spacing small enough to fit nearly on screen or just off - 2+ is ideal - and, this way, I find I've got a great source of steady food and feathers.

But be warned: do not place them near pigs or bees or anything they can attack - like, anything! They are aggro as all hell and will try to punch-on with everything. With their 9 lives, whilst it's a nice investment of hats and other goodies from dropped victims to the catcoons (even pigs struggle 1vs1), 9 lives over 100 days is a real short-term investment when everything is going up in wildflames. 

I do wonder about needing to 'chop' birch trees, particularly when other NPCs can punch them down (Catcoons and Pigs, for sure). Very difficult to deal with them. All I can wonder is that perhaps killing their minions should damage them? That, or 'chopping' should really be more effective than '10 strikes to kill' or whatever.

I read somewhere that the De-Aggro is supposed to be a bug as they're meant to be furious whenever you return, plus you can't kill the littleluns then chop the tree either, the surrounding trees spawn more than you can kill first to even get a chance of a single chop, and since pigs prioritise fighting over woodcutting, they go for the forever spawning minions.

Tah for the Catcoon lessons though.

I read somewhere that the De-Aggro is supposed to be a bug as they're meant to be furious whenever you return, plus you can't kill the littleluns then chop the tree either, the surrounding trees spawn more than you can kill first to even get a chance of a single chop, and since pigs prioritise fighting over woodcutting, they go for the forever spawning minions.

Tah for the Catcoon lessons though.

Oh yes, it's most certainly a bug (de-aggro). As for their playstyle, some stat have obviously been misplaced between the Birch trees; or, rather, in Klei's usual fashion, they simply haven't thought it much through (spawn rate/means to kill them). It is a beta, but it's also taken them a very good deal of time to get around to fixing them. I suppose we can expect an amazing gameplay/balance fix for birches from Klei in the next patch. 

[if not, denouncing them~]

And np. Catcoons op. 

Oh yes, it's most certainly a bug (de-aggro). As for their playstyle, some stat have obviously been misplaced between the Birch trees; or, rather, in Klei's usual fashion, they simply haven't thought it much through (spawn rate/means to kill them). It is a beta, but it's also taken them a very good deal of time to get around to fixing them. I suppose we can expect an amazing gameplay/balance fix for birches from Klei in the next patch. 

[if not, denouncing them~]

And np. Catcoons op. 

I wouldn't necessarily get rid of them, they're a renewable source of Living Logs, (I know you can spawn Treeguards but Poison Birches can be replanted as normal Birches.)

And I've missed all the balancing, only got back into Don't Starve last week, then decided I'd throw some ideas about on the forums since everyone here can pretty much hold a good conversation/debate about the game aha. Seeing the League of Legends forums full of "GG Rito" is boring and shameful.

I wouldn't necessarily get rid of them, they're a renewable source of Living Logs, (I know you can spawn Treeguards but Poison Birches can be replanted as normal Birches.)

And I've missed all the balancing, only got back into Don't Starve last week, then decided I'd throw some ideas about on the forums since everyone here can pretty much hold a good conversation/debate about the game aha. Seeing the League of Legends forums full of "GG Rito" is boring and shameful.

Yeeeeaaahh. I was playing on Oce over the last few months and got immensely exacerbated over the whole community and audience. Way too much trolling for my taste.

As for balancing: not sure you've missed much. They added Ham Bat and Bat Bat to level out the increments in dps items; they made Hounds scale continuously in numbers as the days go on; they chucked in temperature control as a layer on Weather and tried to mix up the seasons with environmental affects like all bees turning to killer bees in Spring and Rabbit holes closing up during Spring; and they added a huge layer of food-spoiling to compensate for the added food content/abundance. Other than that, all the patches have mostly been content. They also nerfed Treeguard spawn chance at some point so its lower (to compensate for Birches). 

Oh, and I'm sure they won't get rid of Birchtrees - rather, I'm almost certain they won't. It's more that the % chance for change vs the No. of change will probably be reshuffled in one direction. They'll fix up the re-aggro bug too, I'm sure (it is a bug). But, as for tinkering how one deals with them or how they behave in combat, who knows if that'll ever be changed. 

Yeeeeaaahh. I was playing on Oce over the last few months and got immensely exacerbated over the whole community and audience. Way too much trolling for my taste.

As for balancing: not sure you've missed much. They added Ham Bat and Bat Bat to level out the increments in dps items; they made Hounds scale continuously in numbers as the days go on; they chucked in temperature control as a layer on Weather and tried to mix up the seasons with environmental affects like all bees turning to killer bees in Spring and Rabbit holes closing up during Spring; and they added a huge layer of food-spoiling to compensate for the added food content/abundance. Other than that, all the patches have mostly been content. They also nerfed Treeguard spawn chance at some point so its lower (to compensate for Birches). 

Oh, and I'm sure they won't get rid of Birchtrees - rather, I'm almost certain they won't. It's more that the % chance for change vs the No. of change will probably be reshuffled in one direction. They'll fix up the re-aggro bug too, I'm sure (it is a bug). But, as for tinkering how one deals with them or how they behave in combat, who knows if that'll ever be changed. 

Well the update is tomorrow, see what it brings.

Might be worth opening a random forum just discussing everything Don't Starve, I've had some good fun with the discussions and debates I opened up two days ago talking to those with a real grasp on the game and reviewing the responses I got, them special feels when one has a star in the corner.

Well the update is tomorrow, see what it brings.

Might be worth opening a random forum just discussing everything Don't Starve, I've had some good fun with the discussions and debates I opened up two days ago talking to those with a real grasp on the game and reviewing the responses I got, them special feels when one has a star in the corner.

Ahahahaha, even when I wrote a giant disambiguation of how I saw the game, all I got was 2 likes and a bunch of discourses on Giants being redesigned to be more like World of Warcraft. 

Archived