Hunger Meter for Caged Birds

I just take them with me as well. Shadow Chester has made things a lot easier, I never realized how much those extra three slots would do for me. (Playing as Maxwell I don't use backpacks so I don't get surprise shanked by anything) It's only two slots and I don't have to worry about it being dead when I return. 

And it's a morsel if I find myself needing one. 

You can't feed birds in your inventory similar to refuelling a lamp..

Taking a bird out of its cage won't make a difference whatsoever, it will still rot to its demise in your inventory as it would after a day and a half, just like it does in its cage, therefore whoever made the comment of "Just feed it", you've clearly not tested this out yourself.

Birdcages are relics of the past, all is broken with them, the endless egg spam, seeds refreshing, lack of feathers.

There are other ways to get that rotteneggs for gunpowder (penguins) and still egg spam stayed in place.

If you feed a bird with seeds you get seeds in return, so logical.

Now birds will just die after few days, and we have to go and explore and I can't have my winter birds around.

I just take them with me as well. Shadow Chester has made things a lot easier, I never realized how much those extra three slots would do for me. (Playing as Maxwell I don't use backpacks so I don't get surprise shanked by anything) It's only two slots and I don't have to worry about it being dead when I return. 

And it's a morsel if I find myself needing one. 

Overall it seems to me that Reign of Giants has put a much bigger strain on inventory space since we now need to carry some kind of protection from the elements all year round, not just in winter. Shadow chester gets 3 more slots, but since im carrying around nitre and an ice hat, or a brolly and a rainhat, that 3 extra slots might aswel be 1. 1 slot doesnt account for the space that a bird and a stack of seeds takes up.

Personally i've stopped bothering with birdcages completely, theyre not worth the effort at all in their current state. Although i suppose thats easy for me to say when i've only been playing wigfried since release... A character like (my favourite) wickerbottom might miss them a lot more- Perhaps for her it will be worth catching a new bird each time. Worth it maybe. Fun? not at all.

Lumina, you were right the first time - Tedious is exactly the word i would use to describe it.

You can't feed birds in your inventory similar to refuelling a lamp..

Taking a bird out of its cage won't make a difference whatsoever, it will still rot to its demise in your inventory as it would after a day and a half, just like it does in its cage, therefore whoever made the comment of "Just feed it", you've clearly not tested this out yourself.

My bird doesnt even have a rot "meter" anymore even when in the inventory for some reason.

I used to actually be able to feed it while it was in the inventory, but now it doesnt seem to work.

That is depressing.

I'm currently in the process of working on a mod for this issue, and there are a couple options I'm looking at making available:

1) Once put in a birdcage, the bird will never starve.

2) Once put in a birdcage, you can feed a bird x pieces of food, which will feed it for x days.

3) A birdcage will have a "feeder" with fancy visual cues and can be "stocked" up to some amount with seeds. This is a fair bit more complex and will require someone to produce art assets (since I am extremely unqualified).

If you have a specific interest give something a +1 in a reply and I'll tally them up.

I'm currently in the process of working on a mod for this issue, and there are a couple options I'm looking at making available:

1) Once put in a birdcage, the bird will never starve.

2) Once put in a birdcage, you can feed a bird x pieces of food, which will feed it for x days.

3) A birdcage will have a "feeder" with fancy visual cues and can be "stocked" up to some amount with seeds. This is a fair bit more complex and will require someone to produce art assets (since I am extremely unqualified).

If you have a specific interest give something a +1 in a reply and I'll tally them up.

I've not looked into doing my own modding but if you got the time please give it a shot

Archived