Cold and Wetness casuing Common Cold

The idea is to add a sickness mechanic each time you get overexposed to severe cold/heat (this includes getting frozen by the Deerclops and bitten by the Blue Hound) or get extremely wet. The chances of catching a Common Cold will be 50% higher in Spring and Autumn. If not treated with a medicine (there's a need for additional medicine recipes for this concept) the sickness will get even worse as there will be 3 stages of it:

1. It all starts with a running nose. The character sneezes from time to time which stops him/her in place and causes the sneezing animation which interrupts your current activity and can't be cancelled.
  2. Our hero feels worse. Now he/she suffers from coughing and a sore throat. Additional symptomes are: a 15% penalty to movement and working speed (cutting trees, mining, hammering ect.) and a caughing sound effect;
  3. Untreated sickness leads to an infection. The main character gets a strong fever. This might cause hallicinations (a special visual effect) and a slow loss of life.

Transitioning from one stage to another will take 3-4 days.

Sleep deprivation (7 days without sleep) will also result in gaining +1 stage of sickness.

I really really like this idea...

Just imaging the possibilities...

Medicine could also be the simple healing salve or similar.

Yeah, there could be few recipes for a cure or just basic stuff that you mentioned that isn't that popular with the players as most of us heal with the Crock Pots, Drying Rack and Butterflies.

With the introduction of this mechanic, some mosnter might specialize in creating this effect. For example Mosquito bites might cause instant fever (to simulate malaria). This could also lead to creating snakes for the desert biome that would poison you and give you a fever with a damage over time effect.

Yeah, there could be few recipes for a cure or just basic stuff that you mentioned that isn't that popular with the players as most of us heal with the Crock Pots, Drying Rack and Butterflies.

With the introduction of this mechanic, some mosnter might specialize in creating this effect. For example Mosquito bites might cause instant fever (to simulate malaria). This could also lead to creating snakes for the desert biome that would poison you and give you a fever with a damage over time effect.

We could have mosqitos being "toxic" and also killer bees having a chance to poison you. I would love this idea! Also if you happen to have hallucinations, random enemies could spawn and attack you, they won't drop loot and just disappear after some hits.

I am not quite sure but I remember Kevin talking about illness at some point of the game. Might be wrong though.

I don't know about this.... Half of me likes the idea a lot, but the other half says it doesn't belong D: I don't know which side to choose, so I just came here to say I love you OP

The little child inside you sees the new side of this thing and you want to try it out.

The grumpy old man inside you says:"We hadn't had that in my days, we don't need it now!"

:p

Hmm. Medicine could be crafted possibly using Butterfly Wings, Foliage, and Papyrus? A need for the caves... just for a bit.  :cool2:

That's witty but Foliage might be too hard to reach it in the proposed time span even if you start looking for the remedy directly after you get sick. First you need to find an entrance to the Caves then you need to wonder around in them trying not to die. All of this in only 6-8 days (before getting into the fever stage). That's probabaly too hardcore.

That's witty but Foliage might be too hard to reach it in the proposed time span even if you start looking for the remedy directly after you get sick. First you need to find an entrance to the Caves then you need to wonder around in them trying not to die. All of this in only 6-8 days (before getting into the fever stage). That's probabaly too hardcore.

Yeah, I considered that too. Maybe replace the Foliage with a Mandrake, or if that's too hard maybe just some Nitre.

In the words of Ridley: "This'd lead to over micromanagement - a perspective to the game that's been avoided and should be avoided for the game to maintain its integrity".

Yeah, sickness has been brought up before and the general responses from the particular thread I read about a month ago on it was that it'd be too much to manage and, granted it shouldn't be a significant element in Don't Starve, it'd end up being a superfluous feature that'd just promote micromanagement. 

My personal disposition: haven't a problem with the idea. Would fit right in too. The only issue I see is it'd probably only wash over as a nuisance to deal with rather than something that dynamically adds to the game.

In the words of Ridley: "This'd lead to over micromanagement - a perspective to the game that's been avoided and should be avoided for the game to maintain its integrity".

Yeah, sickness has been brought up before and the general responses from the particular thread I read about a month ago on it was that it'd be too much to manage and, granted it shouldn't be a significant element in Don't Starve, it'd end up being a superfluous feature that'd just promote micromanagement. 

My personal disposition: haven't a problem with the idea. Would fit right in too. The only issue I see is it'd probably only wash over as a nuisance to deal with rather than something that dynamically adds to the game.

Do you like the content that was added to Don't Starve in RoG? Look closely at the new features. Heatwaves, frog rains, spoiling food in crock pots and dying animals in traps and bird cages. Someone might say that all that was added is just more micromanagement and 'nuisance'. DS was aways about preparation. Correct me if I am wrong but in practice isn't peparation just managing your resources?

Make a case for the boss disarming move as being a superfluous feature. All it adds is some micromanagement during combat and increases your chance of dying. Guess what the sickness mechanic would bring the game? Exactly...

Creating new situations and ways to deal with them adds to the game's dynamic at least as I see it.

I guess it's all mather of preferences. I understand why somone wouldn't like the idea but I totally don't get why you would make those arguments.

Micromanagemnt with lots of repetition is at the core of Don't Starve's experience. Many people get turned off because of it. Let's addmit to the state of thing - to what they are instead of cherry picking one aspect while keeping our eyes shut to another.

Anyway, thanks for reading this topic and presenting your point of view. I really appreciate it.

Do you like the content that was added to Don't Starve in RoG? Look closely at the new features. Heatwaves, frog rains, spoiling food in crock pots and dying animals in traps and bird cages. Someone might say that all that was added is just more micromanagement and 'nuisance'. DS was aways about preparation. Correct me if I am wrong but in practice isn't peparation just managing your resources?

Make a case for the boss disarming move as being a superfluous feature. All it adds is some micromanagement during combat and increases your chance of dying. Guess what the sickness mechanic would bring the game? Exactly...

Creating new situations and ways to deal with them adds to the game's dynamic at least as I see it.

I guess it's all mather of preferences. I understand why somone wouldn't like the idea but I totally don't get why you would make those arguments.

Micromanagemnt with lots of repetition is at the core of Don't Starve's experience. Many people get turned off because of it. Let's addmit to the state of thing - to what they are instead of cherry picking one aspect while keeping our eyes shut to another.

Anyway, thanks for reading this topic and presenting your point of view. I really appreciate it.

Am I reading this wrong or am I being somewhat berated under the premise that I haven't thought this through?

I don't want to start an argument, but let me put it this way: if you were to disambiguate all of those features that you mentioned - you know, something that takes effort and time (I spent a day writing my last analysis before proposing a changes-thread) - and then construct an argument for your proposal, I'd sure as hell be more ready to jump on the wagon and support you than if I'm met with passive aggression

Anyway, I appreciate that you at least thanked me. Moving on:

What I stated above was half A) What someone else (a user named Ridley, as I specified) spoke in great detail about in defence of features I was contradicting in proposal, and B ) my own thoughts on the matter. 

If we look at what Heat Waves, Frog Rain, spoiling food in crockpots and animals starving post capture, there is a direct reason that compliments the current metagame which justifies the changes.

Heat Waves/Frog Rain/Lightning - a counter to players who camp/concentrate resources in a single area

Spoiling Food - a finishing touch to their intended Spoiling mechanic that was, arguably, always intended to function this way. The mechanic stops players from stockpiling and turns the focus back to gathering on a consistent basis rather than food seeming like a part-time job that you can get out of the way with a few days hard-work and take the weekend off for sight-seeing. 

Starving Captured Animals - when blended with Rabbits not coming out during Spring and Bees all becoming Killer Bees during Spring, it's evident that renewable and reliable sources of Food are simply getting a nerf to, once again, refocus the game on gathering persistently and considering the 'Starving' part of the game more seriously.

So, where would Sickness fall into play? I can see that it'd compliment the Healing proportion of the game (differentiating between Food-Healing and actual healing recipes), but how would it compliment the current metagame? Where exactly would it fit in as something that isn't just 'novelty'?

Anyway, let's keep this civil. 

Am I reading this wrong or am I being somewhat berated under the premise that I haven't thought this through?

That statement contains a premis in itself. I think I adressed few points and presented reasoning behind my point of view. I still stand by my belief that you can't negate ideas because they introduce more micromanagement in a game like DS and most of my post was an attempt at trying to describe how 'micromanagy' the whole game is.

I don't want to start an argument, but let me put it this way: if you were to disambiguate all of those features that you mentioned - you know, something that takes effort and time (I spent a day writing my last analysis before proposing a changes-thread) - and then construct an argument for your proposal, I'd sure as hell be more ready to jump on the wagon and support you than if I'm met with passive aggression

I don't know why would you would bring up your hard work on the analysis that you wrote (I've read it and I must admit it's really well thought through) but I don't think it's justified to get into a defensive mode just becuase someone has another point of view and wants to start a discussion.

'Passive-aggressive behavior is the indirect expression of hostility, such as through procrastination, sarcasm, hostile jokes, stubbornness, resentment, sullenness, or deliberate or repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible.'

-Wikipedia

I don't want to start an argument, but 

you know, something that takes effort and time 

Anyway, let's keep this civil. 

Anyway, I appreciate that you at least thanked me.

I am flabbergasted. I have a feeling that someone needs a hug. *hugs InaneDugong*

If we look at what Heat Waves, Frog Rain, spoiling food in crockpots and animals starving post capture, there is a direct reason that compliments the current metagame which justifies the changes.

Heat Waves/Frog Rain/Lightning - a counter to players who camp/concentrate resources in a single area

Spoiling Food - a finishing touch to their intended Spoiling mechanic that was, arguably, always intended to function this way. The mechanic stops players from stockpiling and turns the focus back to gathering on a consistent basis rather than food seeming like a part-time job that you can get out of the way with a few days hard-work and take the weekend off for sight-seeing. 

Starving Captured Animals - when blended with Rabbits not coming out during Spring and Bees all becoming Killer Bees during Spring, it's evident that renewable and reliable sources of Food are simply getting a nerf to, once again, refocus the game on gathering persistently and considering the 'Starving' part of the game more seriously.

So, where would Sickness fall into play? I can see that it'd compliment the Healing proportion of the game (differentiating between Food-Healing and actual healing recipes), but how would it compliment the current metagame? Where exactly would it fit in as something that isn't just 'novelty'?

It makes the threat of weather more severe. It enforces the need of having the right materials/tools at the right time as it amplifies the punishment you would normally get for making a mistake. Sickness would bring a new aspect to the 'Healing proportion of the game' (as you mentioned). It would put you in a position when you might want to look for the medicine ingredients when normally you could just spend the time camping at your base. All the available medicine might be made so it loses its power after few days and by that add to the persistent gathering aspect of DS. Definitely a novelty. As an effect it would raise the difficult level of the game.

I noticed that you used the word 'compliment'. You mean 'complement', right? Just to make sure I understand what you meant. (English is not my native language, sorry).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I noticed that you used the word 'compliment'. You mean 'complement', right? Just to make sure I understand what you meant. (English is not my native language, sorry).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Yep, seems I had the wrong word. Thanks for the correction. Good luck with your cause. 

Archived