A "Back" Slot

Please implement a "back" slot to allow the use of backpacks and log suit, this could also open up the option to cloaks aswell as a another weapon placed in the slot to allow for multi-tasking.

Some cloak suggestions here ;

Glowing Cloak -

-2 Fireflies

-1 Rope

-4 Papyrus

Perks - Glows in the dark ( Small ray of light, Same light source as a Torch )

Durability - Loses 1% every 3 seconds ( 5 minutes of constant use )

Sturdy Cloak -

- 2 Rope

- 4 Papyrus

- 4 Tentactle Spots

Perks - Protects you from physical attacks ( Mitigates 10% damage from enemies )

Durability - Loses 2-5% per basic attack depending on creature

;) <3

Edited by Deano

I think this would be very over powered. This isn't a combat game, it's a survival one. You have to make tough decisions, you either get the extra inventory space from a backpack or you get the protection from the armor, you can't have both. I like it that way.

This isn't a combat game, it's a survival one.

Thats all the more reason it makes sense if your surviving i reckon you would have both, some more armor aswell as a backpack.

It would be slightly overpowered but that could be countered with a harder difficulty setting where resources are scarce and monster hit a little harder, aswell as limited uses off meat effigy.

I do like the choice you have to make between protection and inventory space

but at the moment, the player can simply just carry log armour and swap from backpack to armour whenever danger is close

So really, you can have the best of both worlds if your quick enough with the mouse.

Since we are talking about this being a survival game and not a combat game, is it a good thing to encourage "twitch" play like that above?

ie. high response/twitch players having an advantage over other players like me who like to make the difficult choices as opposed to honing tedious mouse clicking skills

I would suggest, implementing a cost to the switch, maybe the character plays a short animation whilst changing gear which takes a bit of time.

• Like 1

Since we are talking about this being a survival game and not a combat game, is it a good thing to encourage "twitch" play like that above?

ie. high response/twitch players having an advantage over other players like me who like to make the difficult choices as opposed to honing tedious mouse clicking skills

Thanks for putting it that way! I´ve been trying to find the right words and you nailed it! yay! :D

• Like 1

I thought of another way to discourage "hotswapping" of armour and backpack

You could make monster's eat backpacks dropped on the floor, so when you drop your backpack to fight a mob, you have to additionally keep the monsters away from the pack. :p

One very common method of preventing hotswapping is not allowing armor changes "in combat". In DS terms, that would mean you can't change your chest slot or your helmet slot if something has aggro against you. This would help a great deal with the carrying log suit armor (which is what i do right now as well actually). Plus, you could have certain areas (read, biomes) where you are always considered in combat. I'm looking at you swamps... and graveyards... and spider grottos.

• Like 1

While I like the idea of a back slot, I think an "Accessory" slot would be better IMO. Essentially, a sort of place where you can have a cloak of minor effect, or perhaps a necklace, or ring, or even gaudy bauble earrings. Whatever, if it can be thought of as an accessory, I think it might have a place in the game. The only problem is, how many accessories with effects could you possibly have? I honestly can't think of very many that would be of use without overpowering you.

I came to this forum to post a similar suggestion as the OP, and I found this thread when I searched. My idea is a little different though. This extra slot would be for armor, allowing the player to equip the log suit and a backpack, or an amulet and a backpack. Not an amulet and a logsuit. The amulet would still be considered an "armor" item and occupy that slot accordingly. Now, on the issue of balance, I suggest that wearing a logsuit/amulet and backpack at the same time should apply onto the player a rather severe movement speed debuff, making them slower and less able to avoid damage and travel distances while having both equipped. What do you guys think about that?

I was shocked when I put on the log armor just to drop my backpack. Wtf with that? What's the logic? Because the armor weights a lot and thus, you can't carry more load? If this is the case, I won't mind, sounds like a good compromise BUT there should be a more expensive alternative to acquire an armor suit with backpack availability.

The current armor in question should be considered "low grade", and the most expensive armor should be backpack compatible. A "medium grade" armor should be backpack compatible, but it wears faster making your backpack drop to the ground--pick it again no problem.