Much Needed! Long-Term Consequence

Something lacking from both the standalone and the RoG dlc is, Long Term Consequences. There needs to be some choices made throughout the game that impacts survival in the future. Now I'm not talking consequences in like impossible roadblocks. But consequences in which can impact survival in the future, a great example of this kinda implanted is the whole if you don't kill spider dens early on, then you suffer a realm of queens in the future.

Implementing a more Long Term Consequence will add to the challenge of struggling what to do at that given moment.

Maybe have it so that if you don't kill the giants and let them live they become harder or stronger over time. Or maybe if you don't kill the ancient guardian he will eventually come up to the surface to wreck havoc.

That's it, please post below if you agree or disagree or complementary ideas.

The only idea that comes to mind right now (and I know I might get cast away in a really dark place for eternity by most other players around here for saying that) is that there could be a certain number (not too high) of Birchnut trees that awaken each autumn in each of the Birchnut forest biomes. They would have to be planted on the special turf from the Birchnut tree biome in order to be able to naturally awaken. Eventually, you would end up facing a whole enchanted forest if you did not take care of them once you had the chance. They could (or not) be hostile on sight. They would definitely turn hostile if they see you chop down a birchnut tree or attack another of their own.

I am however afraid of the exploits that could happen if such a thing were implemented:

1) I guess no monster should ever aggro the trees to give no reason to players to use them as a defensive position against any threat, unless all of the enchanted forest's treeguards were hostile to the player too, making it hard to just run in there and let them kill your ennemies.

2) Giants should be able to destroy them by walking over them like they do normal trees. Just afraid that would mean an easy way of getting rid of them while providing living logs and birchnuts. That would still be fixed (to some extent) if the treeguards were hostile on sight, making it at least risky for a player to  rush in there, as enchanted forests are not a safe place to be.

That's what I can think of right now. Bombs away ! =)

Neoaduesmachina I like that idea, like eventually of you don't cut down the trees over time they become them.

Neoaduesmachina I like that idea, like eventually of you don't cut down the trees over time they become them.

The only idea that comes to mind right now (and I know I might get cast away in a really dark place for eternity by most other players around here for saying that) is that there could be a certain number (not too high) of Birchnut trees that awaken each autumn in each of the Birchnut forest biomes. They would have to be planted on the special turf from the Birchnut tree biome in order to be able to naturally awaken. Eventually, you would end up facing a whole enchanted forest if you did not take care of them once you had the chance. They could (or not) be hostile on sight. They would definitely turn hostile if they see you chop down a birchnut tree or attack another of their own.

I am however afraid of the exploits that could happen if such a thing were implemented:

1) I guess no monster should ever aggro the trees to give no reason to players to use them as a defensive position against any threat, unless all of the enchanted forest's treeguards were hostile to the player too, making it hard to just run in there and let them kill your ennemies.

2) Giants should be able to destroy them by walking over them like they do normal trees. Just afraid that would mean an easy way of getting rid of them while providing living logs and birchnuts. That would still be fixed (to some extent) if the treeguards were hostile on sight, making it at least risky for a player to  rush in there, as enchanted forests are not a safe place to be.

That's what I can think of right now. Bombs away ! =)

It's a good idea in theory, but in winter all the birchnut trees loose their leaves and can no longer turn into the guardian. So you'd just have to wait until winter, then go in and level the whole forest :D

It's a good idea in theory, but in winter all the birchnut trees loose their leaves and can no longer turn into the guardian. So you'd just have to wait until winter, then go in and level the whole forest :grin:

Wow I didn't think of that. Will the existing treeguardians turn back into regular trees during winter ?

If not, then it might not be much of an issue. If the player really wants to spend his whole winter leveling a whole biome or at least the existing tree guardians, then he's free to do so =P Not much else will be accomplished during that season though! And I think it's the point of these ideas, to give players choices with long term consequences.

Something lacking from both the standalone and the RoG dlc is, Long Term Consequences. There needs to be some choices made throughout the game that impacts survival in the future. Now I'm not talking consequences in like impossible roadblocks. But consequences in which can impact survival in the future, a great example of this kinda implanted is the whole if you don't kill spider dens early on, then you suffer a realm of queens in the future.

Implementing a more Long Term Consequence will add to the challenge of struggling what to do at that given moment.

Maybe have it so that if you don't kill the giants and let them live they become harder or stronger over time. Or maybe if you don't kill the ancient guardian he will eventually come up to the surface to wreck havoc.

That's it, please post below if you agree or disagree or complementary ideas.

I just released a mod that makes almost all creatures stronger the longer you survive, including giants. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it is something.

That sounds amazing. I don't know how to quote people on my phone, but if there's a mod for that it's worth trying out.

But the thread really isn't mob based. It supposed to be more environmental and some Mob. Maybe if you burn down trees for charcoal you can't plant trees back. So it's charcoal for loss of land.

There's 2 major playstyles: Nomadic and Camp; and neither of them are really punished at all (nomadic more so though). 

There is currently an issue with scaling difficulty - and some people put that to a lack of novel direction as the game progresses whilst others put it to the scaling of creatures ending around day 100 - and it's probably not going to be touched for some time (officially, that is).

There are some modders (like Prof) who are occasionally working towards putting in fixes for the small things, but I don't see a solution to this dilemma being produced for some time.  

That sounds amazing. I don't know how to quote people on my phone, but if there's a mod for that it's worth trying out.

But the thread really isn't mob based. It supposed to be more environmental and some Mob. Maybe if you burn down trees for charcoal you can't plant trees back. So it's charcoal for loss of land.

There's a way to quote. Just tap the user's text and it'll give you the option.

I also do agree that mob scaling does centre the game around predictable variables. I think that the weather changes make the game harder in general, and the hounds buff compliments this perfectly, but it's all too predictable aye.

I'd like to work on a balance/gameplay mod, but people like Prof make it look easy when it's not.

There's a way to quote. Just tap the user's text and it'll give you the option.

I also do agree that mob scaling does centre the game around predictable variables. I think that the weather changes make the game harder in general, and the hounds buff compliments this perfectly, but it's all too predictable aye.

I'd like to work on a balance/gameplay mod, but people like Prof make it look easy when it's not.

Thanks for the kind words. My mod will be more randomized once I get some more feedback on the difficulty and actually play it more myself. ;p

I am all for more events/stuff to do. For me, you can't add too much to this game.

Thanks for the kind words. My mod will be more randomized once I get some more feedback on the difficulty and actually play it more myself. ;p

I am all for more events/stuff to do. For me, you can't add too much to this game.

Do something which adds challenge yet unpreparable. A feel struggle and which you know is going to happen and you can't prepare for it, or prevent it. You can only hope you have enough stockpiled for whatever comes if/when it comes.

Do something which adds challenge yet unpreparable. A feel struggle and which you know is going to happen and you can't prepare for it, or prevent it. You can only hope you have enough stockpiled for whatever comes if/when it comes.

I am not sure how to achieve that. Once it happens, you would always be prepared for the next time, wouldn't you? Any suggestions or ideas?

Archived