Rebalancing armors!

Right now armors are just full messed up and have no specific tiering and/or types. So I thought how about this:

Grass suit - light enough to not to slow you down at all, but has small protection. Good for hitting enemy and running away, then repeating that (Tier 1, Light armor)

Log suit - a bit heavy but not too heavy, has quite good protection and you can fight in different ways but with higher risk (Tier 1, Medium armor)

Marble suit - heavy but really protective, if you're gonna fight enemy while staying in the same place (Tier 1, Heavy armor)

Night armor - light, yet gives quite a good protection - Run like with Grass suit, have protection as from Log suit (Tier 2, Light armor)

Scalemail - not too heavy, yet gives a good protection - Run like with Log suit, have protection as from Marble suit (Tier 2, Medium armor)

Thelucite armor - heavy but really protective - Run like with Marble suit, have protection like with no other armor (Tier 2, Heavy armor)

So, what do you think? Yes, tier 2 are hard to get and that's the point. Night armor might be the only one easy to get out of Tier 2 but its sanity drain will make it something a little different (with this balance I think Night armor should have less sanity drain).

To me they all are fine , not messed up. You have your grass armor if you need some protection quickly , you have regular log suit (which is perfect as it is) you have almost non renewable marble suit expensive but perfect for "tanking" monsters and the list goes on and on.To be honest every armor in don't starve serve a purpose , and they are balanced when it comes to pros and cons.Your ideas make no sense to me but trying to segregate armors which would serve no bigger purpose. That's it you have your answer at least from me.

Right now armors are just full messed up and have no specific tiering and/or types. So I thought how about this:

Grass suit - light enough to not to slow you down at all, but has small protection. Good for hitting enemy and running away, then repeating that (Tier 1, Light armor)

Log suit - a bit heavy but not too heavy, has quite good protection and you can fight in different ways but with higher risk (Tier 1, Medium armor)

Marble suit - heavy but really protective, if you're gonna fight enemy while staying in the same place (Tier 1, Heavy armor)

Night armor - light, yet gives quite a good protection - Run like with Grass suit, have protection as from Log suit (Tier 2, Light armor)

Scalemail - not too heavy, yet gives a good protection - Run like with Log suit, have protection as from Marble suit (Tier 2, Medium armor)

Thelucite armor - heavy but really protective - Run like with Marble suit, have protection like with no other armor (Tier 2, Heavy armor)

So, what do you think? Yes, tier 2 are hard to get and that's the point. Night armor might be the only one easy to get out of Tier 2 but its sanity drain will make it something a little different (with this balance I think Night armor should have less sanity drain).

Well. We don't need "teirs" ! This'll make the Don't Starve experience.... Uh.... Odd. I like it the way it is as of now.

Yeah, I like the way it's not all in neat categories, and every armour has some pro and cons: Grass armour is just weak, log suit has good protection but low durability, marble suit has REALLY high protection and durability, but slows you down, night armour has REALLY high protection, alright durability, but lowers your sanity and drains sanity when you get hit, and thulucite has high protection, REALLY high durability, but it a b*** to craft.

I dunno. I kind of like that there aren't a million variations of a type of item in Don't Starve.

I'm not asking for a million different types, I'm just asking for something in between. Like my suggestion for "Leather" items.

Fun facts: Last I checked the wiki, the Grass Suit blocks 30% of damage. And the log suit, the next logical step, blocks 80%. Doesn't that seem a little screwed up to you?

I'm not asking for a million different types, I'm just asking for something in between. Like my suggestion for "Leather" items.

Fun facts: Last I checked the wiki, the Grass Suit blocks 30% of damage. And the log suit, the next logical step, blocks 80%. Doesn't that seem a little screwed up to you?

Not really. The log suit is harder to get than the grass suit, but then also not SO hard to get that it were a massive chore to make it. I like it the way it is.

Coughopcough

Well. We don't need "teirs" ! This'll make the Don't Starve experience.... Uh.... Odd. I like it the way it is as of now.

I see. You have no clue of what a "teir" (pffft, you can't spell tier) is!

XirmiX, there's no need to sound arrogant and belittle others in your posts. To be honest, I'd class that as bullying, so watch out - you're treading on very thin ice at the moment.

Give it a rest, okay?

Coming back to the original post, I think they're absolutely fine as they are, too. It's nice that Don't Starve doesn't have too many micro-details in some places and many more in others. :)

to me they are okay, no need for clear tiers since the materials make it rather clear from a logical standpoint for example:

grass will be awful armour but better than nothing, wood will be quite effective but light enough, marble will be super heavy but very strong, Thulecite is hard to get so it makes sense for it to be good, Scalemail sounds better than wood but lighter than marble. so it seems okay to me.

Archived