Brace Yourselves, Winter is ending !

Two things, before you start reading :

1.Don't Starve is probably one of the best game I ever played, and I'm delighted with Reign of Giants. You did an amazing job, and this little world now feels really dense and alive.

2.Though it involves gameplay mechanics and difficulty, my point is more about player's feelings. It is not a complain about this or that being too hard/too easy.

My point :

Adding four seasons instead of two is certainly the best thing in this DLC, and creating specific challenges for each of them is great. But now, winter no longer feels like the harsher time of the year.

I think the symbolic link between winter and starvation is very important, and the fear winter may cause by its approach, or the hope it would give when snow melts for the first time, is the key to emotions in this game.

It creates a cycle of hope and despair, of wealth and  hunger, instead of a constant (though changing) hell.

This is why I think winter should remain as the most terrible challenge you have to face in Don't Starve.

How :

I won't tell you how to balance the difficulty of your game. You did a wonderful job, and I trust you to keep it that way.

I think spring, summer and autumn could be a little easier without ruining all the game mechanics.

And I think, now that most players know how to deal with winter, that it could be even harsher.

This is it. I hope other players find this relevant and useful.

Well, thank you for your time and attention, and thank you for this wonderful game !

oCrapaCreeper : I agree, Winter and summer should be the two worst times of the year but winter now is easier than summer. You don't need to practice wild camping to see there is something wrong in this.

Shin : You're only talking about general difficulty, wich depends on your experience, and is not really my point. Maybe you should simply try the Survival Plus world. If you ask me, I'm perfectly fine with the current difficulty.

XirmiX : Winter is okay, yes. And that is precisely my point.

Autumn is a walk in a park? You serious? Try killing bearger by yourself and then say Autumn is easy(no rock lobster, pigs, and no spiders). That thing is a monster!!! 

I think the seasons are well balanced. Summer is pain in the arse but has no sanity penalties. Winter coldness can be mitigated through warm clothes while it has severe sanity penalties. In the other hand, Spring and Autumn do feel a bit easy, then again you can use the survival plus world, or total darkness world. 

If you guys feel that the seasons are so easy, why not solo against the season giants. AND I MEAN SOLO!!!!

I've often thought that in winter, you should not be able to dig any plants or stumps due to the ground being frozen.  It'd be another factor in planning seasonal activity.  Since currently summer is a no-transplant season due to withering, I sometimes tend to spend a lot of time in winter transferring plants.

Archived