Seasons affecting biomes differently

It would be interesting if seasons impacted your character differently depending on what biome you were in. This mainly stems from the idea that the desert biome is no hotter than the forest biome in summer.

How seasons could affect biomes:

Deserts:

- In summer, heat makes it nearly unlivable. (might make summer seem more different from winter)

- It doesn't rain in spring often or nearly at all in other seasons.

- Opposite of swamps.

Swamps:

- In summer, the heat is not quite as deadly. (due to water everywhere) Still effects your character though.

- In spring, it rains. NEARLY CONSTANTLY.

- Opposite of deserts.

Arbor/Forests:

- Temperature doesn't affect you as much. (Due to shade in summer and wind blocking in winter)

- Character moves slightly slower. (due to heavy vegetation)

- Opposites of savannahs and grasslands.

Savannah/Grasslands:

- Temperature affects you slightly more, (Due to lack of shade in summer and wind in winter)

- Character moves slightly faster. (Due to lack of heavy vegetation)

- Opposites of Arbors and Forests

Rocky Terrain:

- Neutral or desert-like

Mosaic:

- Neutral or grassland-like      (to have this work, you could have seasonal differences by biome only take effect in a biome while its area is larger than a certain size)

This patch would also help fix the issue of people hiding in the entrances of caves from the weather. The biomes located just under the sinkhole could be above ground biomes, and thus effected by weather. If you wanted to avoid the weather, you would have to enter the cave-type biomes that are seasonally neutral yet always completely hidden from the sun.

Thoughts or tweaks?

You know what would I'd really like to know if you're in autumn or not: Have no grass biomes during Autumn but have Birch biome instead but during the spring they then turn into Grass biomes. Don't you think that'd be cool?

The biggest issue with biomes affecting weather is that you can change the turf. See, I can imagine an easy way to code this shiz by correlating the weather with a player-location kinda code (which exists), and correlating as much with the turf, but anyone can change the turf in their base. I suppose it'd give reason to, but one has to beg the question as to whether it's reasonable to relate weather patterns with turf. 

The biggest issue with biomes affecting weather is that you can change the turf. See, I can imagine an easy way to code this shiz by correlating the weather with a player-location kinda code (which exists), and correlating as much with the turf, but anyone can change the turf in their base. I suppose it'd give reason to, but one has to beg the question as to whether it's reasonable to relate weather patterns with turf. 

Well, maybe there'd need to be a very huge amount of the same turf connected to actually have the weather effect apply.

You know what would I'd really like to know if you're in autumn or not: Have no grass biomes during Autumn but have Birch biome instead but during the spring they then turn into Grass biomes. Don't you think that'd be cool?

Hey hey everybody, don't overlook this comment. So far it sounds like one of the best ideas!

In winter all biomes look almost thw same, because of snow. I don't see a reason why Grass biomes couldn't become Birch biomes during the autumn. All tho it'd look odd; so we need a forest birch biome for the woods as well ;)

Archived