As the title suggests, a new feature, preferably for building houses, would be docks. I have found it an issue many times before that I have to travel way too far to get to another piece of land because it's missing just one berry bush length of land or so, making traveling to useful places a nuisance. I've also always wanted to build off into the ocean for my house, and maybe even a well placed panic room. After pondering the issue, I've come up with a fix, docks. They are craftable items that function as a sort of turf only able to be placed on ocean. One would be able to fill gaps in their land, and build off into the vast sea. If you like, the player can place turf on it to make it look better or more realistic. I feel this game lacks more advanced building tactics, and I feel this is a good start. A new mechanic could also be treasure islands, requiring you to build to get to them for unique loot.

As the title suggests, a new feature, preferably for building houses, would be docks. I have found it an issue many times before that I have to travel way to far to get to another piece of land because it's missing just one berry bush length of land or so, making traveling to useful places a nuisance. I've also always wanted to build off into the ocean for my house, and maybe even a well placed panic room. After pondering the issue, I've come up with a fix, docks. They are craftable items that function as a sort of turf only able to be placed on ocean. One would be able to fill gaps in their land, and build off into the vast sea. If you like, the player can place turf on it to make it look better or more realistic. I feel this game lacks more advanced building tactics, and I feel this is a good start. A new mechanic could also be treasure islands, requiring you to build to get to them for unique loot.

Usefull idea, maybe bridges could be even better. I know what you mean, making some shortcuts would safe so much time.

The game breaks if you go too far into the ocean.  That is and always will be my only issue with this idea.

Could make a certain distance into the ocean unreachable. Maybe the docks/bridges could only reach 4 tiles out into the water.

3 to 4 tiles of distance max, I'd say. So if you build from both sides of a ledge, you could make a bridge of 8 tiles max. Sounds fairly reasonable, honestly. (Maybe you could make certain areas in swamps unpassable unless you build docks over it too, yknow, to make it feel more like a swamp)

you could use boats to go to the islands

To be honest with you, boating doesn't seem like it should be a "thing" on don't starve. After all, the point is that your character is on an evil island void of human, or dare I say even humanoid, life. A boat would provide an opportunity to "escape" an inescapable island, which doesn't fit the bill.

.... Inland lakes, however, could be a thing.

To be honest with you, boating doesn't seem like it should be a "thing" on don't starve. After all, the point is that your character is on an evil island void of human, or dare I say even humanoid, life. A boat would provide an opportunity to "escape" an inescapable island, which doesn't fit the bill.

.... Inland lakes, however, could be a thing.

you cant escape there would be waterfalls at the end of the sea so you cant escape

3 to 4 tiles of distance max, I'd say. So if you build from both sides of a ledge, you could make a bridge of 8 tiles max. Sounds fairly reasonable, honestly. (Maybe you could make certain areas in swamps unpassable unless you build docks over it too, yknow, to make it feel more like a swamp)

So very much agree. It'd be really interesting to give swamps an interesting feature. If they did this, you might as well just add rivers made of like 2 "tiles" wide of the ocean. You'd have to create a bridge to cross. I think the only problem would be if in the start of the game, a river cut you off from the rest of the world and you were screwed over. My solution would be to add a fallen tree feature that can act as a bridge once until it grows back.

Although I'd be down for calling these things bridges instead of docks. Even if you design them to look like boardwalks or docks, calling them bridges would be easier for people to get the point I think.

So very much agree. It'd be really interesting to give swamps an interesting feature. If they did this, you might as well just add rivers made of like 2 "tiles" wide of the ocean. You'd have to create a bridge to cross. I think the only problem would be if in the start of the game, a river cut you off from the rest of the world and you were screwed over. My solution would be to add a fallen tree feature that can act as a bridge once until it grows back.

Although I'd be down for calling these things bridges instead of docks. Even if you design them to look like boardwalks or docks, calling them bridges would be easier for people to get the point I think.

I think that map generation should stay as it is, it's already annoying enough in terms of cutting you off. Also, there should be two things added, bridges and docks. Bridges would be used as you said and made less expensive. Docks would have a larger limit, because I've always wanted to build my base off into the ocean and I feel I'm not the only one.

I think that map generation should stay as it is, it's already annoying enough in terms of cutting you off. Also, there should be two things added, bridges and docks. Bridges would be used as you said and made less expensive. Docks would have a larger limit, because I've always wanted to build my base off into the ocean and I feel I'm not the only one.

I'm generally against adding too many items with great similarities. I'd rather have more functionality bound to the same item.

As the title suggests, a new feature, preferably for building houses, would be docks. I have found it an issue many times before that I have to travel way too far to get to another piece of land because it's missing just one berry bush length of land or so, making traveling to useful places a nuisance. I've also always wanted to build off into the ocean for my house, and maybe even a well placed panic room. After pondering the issue, I've come up with a fix, docks. They are craftable items that function as a sort of turf only able to be placed on ocean. One would be able to fill gaps in their land, and build off into the vast sea. If you like, the player can place turf on it to make it look better or more realistic. I feel this game lacks more advanced building tactics, and I feel this is a good start. A new mechanic could also be treasure islands, requiring you to build to get to them for unique loot.

Lazy explorer staff would become useless

How?

for example: you are in one side, and there's a gap between you and other side, in normal conditions you should choose walk good chunk around, or telepoof, now there's no question what to do: "hey look, a gap! I should build a bridge and cross it to save my precious gems!"

Archived