Enjoy the game, but will I keep playing?

Hi Devs,

First of all I would like to say I’ve been enjoying your game very much and have spent many hours surviving and not surviving. I feel now I’ve pumped a little time in I have a better idea of what you’re trying to achieve and I might have a few points you might want to think about as you flesh out the finished version of the game.

The early progression of the game is very interesting and kept me hooked for a long time, this was mainly working out what could help me or kill me. My first death happened after I fought off some wild dogs in the middle of the night with only a sliver of health and then gave up my grip on life after eating their cooked flesh for sustenance. It was then that I worked out that surviving the game was an iterative process and that dying was sometimes the only way to work out how to effectively dispatch a fully grown tree hell bent on putting you in the ground.

Another part of the early progression which has taken me fairly well into the mid game is the ability to unlock and research different tools and structures. I was further intrigued when I first found out that these unlocks persisted through deaths and that there might be a time when I have everything unlocked.

The mid to late part of the game, which is where I feel I am now, I’m finding the game has become fairly easy. I’ve died enough times to just about everything within the game to understand the mechanics to survive and kill them. I’ve researched and built just about every item in the game and have searched several different maps. In my current map I have a couple of well established camps that will probably sustain me for as long as I like. But where to go from here?

I understand the game is still in beta and I’m very keen to see what things will be introduced next. But at this stage Steam tells me I’ve put 11 hours into the game and I don’t see how I could progress much further. The early game had me the most excited, I purposely didn’t look anything up and only had the musical mumblings of Wilson P. Higgsbury to help me progress and understand the world. If there were some way to go back to those times I would be there in an instant. If there were some way to take that feeling of discovery through to the late game this would be a magical game indeed.

TL : DR

Once you’ve learnt the mechanics of the game and unlocked all the items what else is there? Tell me! I’d like to keep playing!

Don't Starve is still very much in development. What we have access to right now is only intended to be the early portion of the finished game. They're working on implementing the midgame stuff at the moment, and endgame content will come later. Check this thread if you want to see the sort of things we'll be seeing in the future.

Don't Starve is still very much in development. What we have access to right now is only intended to be the early portion of the finished game. They're working on implementing the midgame stuff at the moment, and endgame content will come later. Check this thread if you want to see the sort of things we'll be seeing in the future.

Thanks for the link, explains a lot about where they are at.

Alternatively there are plenty of made up challenges and side goals to entertain yourself with. There are still plenty of things with a little creativity you could do besides keep your belly full. :)

Cool, I've been having a look at a few of the challenges. This one looks pretty good