Tallbird Eggs don't spoil

Bought the Don't Starve Reign of Giants Beta recently and I am enjoying it thus far. Some changes that I really liked that recently took place are the changes to captured live animals and drying racks. Live animals now starving if not fed and jerky rotting/spoiling even if left on the drying rack makes surviving winters more difficult (which I like...it felt unrealistic to have 10 chests filled with live rabbits that would keep me alive for the next 10 winters lol).

A few days ago, I grabbed myself a Tallbird egg and noticed that it currently doesn't spoil as well. I suppose that this is another food source that can be saved indefinitely as well. Not sure if this is intentional or something that needs to be fixed. Just thought I'd point it out.

Egg never spoiled. In any version of the game

So did live rabbits...just sayin.

I don't really think that eggs need to spoil though necessarily. There isn't that many of them unlike rabbits unless you find a Tallfort in your world. But if they did make it so that it spoiled I wouldn't really care that much.

So did live rabbits...just sayin.

I don't really think that eggs need to spoil though necessarily. There isn't that many of them unlike rabbits unless you find a Tallfort in your world. But if they did make it so that it spoiled I wouldn't really care that much.

I also don't know if eggs should spoil/starve because if that were the case you'd find Tallbird's eventually just protecting mush.

I also don't know if eggs should spoil/starve because if that were the case you'd find Tallbird's eventually just protecting mush.

Yeah I suppose. Actually the egg should just stay non-perishable since I don't know how that would work when you're tying to hatch an egg either. Unless they made the spoil time long enough and the egg didn't spoil until taken by the player. But yeah I think it's fine right now.

Not a bug I'm sure, as it's always been that way.  They're the "special" egg.  Most worlds it doesn't really matter as there's usually not many.  If you have the tallfort that's another case but I'd actually love to try to make a base with a tallfort as major food supply.  I could see Klei putting a long spoil timer on them like jerky.  I think that'd be enough to hatch one.  But I think they're fine the way they are.

Tallbird Eggs not spoiling is the only thing that makes them relevant. Since they are a weak food source on their own and only slightly better than regular eggs for preparing Bacon and Eggs, if they spoiled they would become pointless, unless they received a buff to compensate.

Tallbird Eggs not spoiling is the only thing that makes them relevant. Since they are a weak food source on their own and only slightly better than regular eggs for preparing Bacon and Eggs, if they spoiled they would become pointless, unless they received a buff to compensate.

Yeah, but what about the extremely useful smallbirds and teenbirds they can make?!

Yeah, but what about the extremely useful smallbirds and teenbirds they can make?!

I wouldn't call all the hassle involved in hatching an egg just to get some (ok, many) bird morsels and feathers "extremely useful". Not to mention the need to feed them... It's much simpler to just pick some grass to build traps for rabbits. Though I suppose they have a niche now, in spring, but I still wouldn't do it. I just store tallbird eggs as emergency food.

They might not be the most plentiful resource around, but it might be useful to stock up on an "emergency supply" of them. Not sure if that could be considered to be an imbalance. For the record, I'm not actively trying to make them have a spoil timer. As someone else mentioned, it wouldn't really bother me too much either way. I just felt the need to make the information known incase Klei doesn't know.

oh and please don't go off and this should spoil this should rot this should burn rabbits and animals were good before that now it is getting harder and harder, if there were certain limits for crock pot tha can build people won't abuse it by putting like 10 crock pots, i am just saying cause klei might add all tallbird egg spoiling

Archived