Map settings:Additional Setting?

I have seen a lot of threads about weather and how summer is OP, I've died in every single summer and yet I don't find it OP.    But at the same time I find it much less fun for casual play.

So my suggestion is not to make it less challenging but to instead add a feature to the Map Setting, we can call is Climate or we can call is Weather Severity.    And there would be: Weak, Mild, Default, Temperate, and Harsh.   

Not only would this effect Summer but also other seasons.  It would effect the intensity of weather conditions and/or how long weather effects last.   Such as "Harsh" in spring would have near constant rain and in Summer the burning temp would be at 45 instead of 60-65 etc.    Winter would be a near blizzard and for weak there would be much less snow/rain duration.  Such as not lasting all day long.

That is my single big suggestion. I have others but I think they would do better as Mods.  ;)

Expanding on this:

Map Setting -- Climate

Humid temps are much more intense than dry climates.     Also these would alter the lengths of time for said seasons weather to last for x amount of time in the day.    Maybe even affect the spawning of giants?  (I know the amount of snowfall affects when the Deerclops appears/respawns)

Dry ---

Lest rain in spring, Moderately hot in middle of summer, "Autumn", A few snowy day in Winter.

Rain lats for about a half day and a few days between rainging, summer heat is centered near the middle of the day, snow only lasts for a bit each day.

Mild  ----

More than dry but less than the defaults

Default  -----    Whatever the Devs decide to settle on as the weather.

Temperate ----

More than defaults but less than humid.

Humid ----

Constant rain in Spring, Unrelenting heat in Summer, "Enter Fall weather here", Endless blizzard in Winter.

Anyone else like/dislike?

This, and other possible map settings, could help world building for those that think the game is too op or too up, without the devs having to do tons of extra content.

I think rather than the extremes being wet vs dry, it should just basically be "extreme" vs "mild" temperatures.   extreme weather has colder longer winters and hotter longer summers.  Mild is the opposite.   Rain already has it's own slider, so this shouldn't affect rain.

Yes rain has it's own slider, but not as a seasonal effect.   Even on default the "spring" Rain is all day/2 days long and a few days apart, while the rest of the in game year is the "default setting for rain.

What I mean by affecting the rain is not how often it will rain, but solely how long the weather effects will last.   So say you have lots of rain with a dry climate it would be kinda like a default setting, but if you have lots of rain combined with a humid climate than the rain will be near constant.   

This could create interesting weather combos like overheating and becoming too wet in summer, adding a fair challenge to those that crave it.

Also its not "Wet vs. Dry".   Right now I live in a "Dry" climate, there is almost desert like weather meaning little rain/snowfall and the affects of the temperature aren't nearly as hash compared to when I have lived in "Humid" climates of places near big lakes and the ocean, meaning they have more moisture in the air and one feels the temperature easier so even 50 degrees in "Humid" feels like 90+degrees in a "Dry" climate.

I'm not going for realism here I just though it would be a good idea that was simple enough for the devs to incorporate.   ;)

(I am also basing this off when I would play games of Alpha Centari.  You could set the "Climate" and the "Wild Life" settings to be low, default, or max.   Giving many more, or many less, random events and resuorces for whatever game you felt like playing with out having to build your own worlds or change 20 setting and would leave the world much more random and natural feeling.   ;) )

You can fix all that by setting seasons to "no summer"

I think just taking away the things catching fire at random - a setup that we already have - works well in summer. With that all you need is the ice hat for summer.

You can fix all that by setting seasons to "no summer"

I think just taking away the things catching fire at random - a setup that we already have - works well in summer. With that all you need is the ice hat for summer.

I think you missed the point of this thread. Try (re)reading the post. :-)

I agree completely, Silane! It sounds great. :grin:

People have been going on about more custom choices for a while, though, so I don't know if/when it will be implemented. Hope it is, though. :-)

Archived