Sanity loss FAR too strong! (Possible bug?)

Let me open this by saying that I don't find Don't Starve hard. The massive increase in 

difficulty was welcome, but after playing for a while I'm pretty sure I've either found a very 

strange bug, or there's a pretty big balance issue.

Let me take'ya through my first game.

I started playing as Wilson with default settings, no mods enabled. Days one through three were 

pretty average. Apart from new Dr. Seuss trees there wasn't anything spectacular.

Day four I picked a spot to set up a base camp. There were some flowers nearby and a beehive. 

Now and then I picked flowers to help keep my sanity up.

Day seven, I noticed that I simply wasn't running out of flowers. More kept seeming to appear. 

I thought maybe bees are now able to pollinate flowers while still belonging to a hive. At 

first this sounded great..

...Until an evil flower appeared from nowhere. I left it where it was so I'd have more when I 

started down the Magic track. Later this turned out to be a terrible idea.

For the next few days I expanded base. Got a few drying racks, managed to find a gear in a 

tumbleweed and built an ice box, and "deconstructed" the local beehive so I could build my own.

Winter, day 23. I noticed sanity dropping like mad. It just wouldn't stop. I figured this was 

some new game mechanic and ignored it for a bit. After a while, while I'm out foraging, I 

notice it's stopped dropping as fast. It's still going, but nowhere near as bad as it was. 

However, when I returned to base, it went right back up again. Or down. Updown. Whichever!

Day 25. The snow stopped and although nothing melted, the ground finally stopped squishing and 

sounding all wet. After a few minutes I noticed some flowers peeking through the snow. Evil 

flowers. After a few minutes there were more, and more, and more. You get the picture. I 

realized that bees can't be spreading them since they don't come out of their hives during the 

winter; the flowers must be spreading themselves.

Picking them didn't slow the insanity. There must've been more hidden under the snow. After 

going completely insane I harvested my racks, thinking that if I ran far enough I'd get away 

from the flowers and be able to down them all at once to resume not starving like a normal 

person.

So, that's what I did. I ran. Far. I ran into the desert, where I assumed flowers can't grow. 

Oddly, not only was snow there, but after eating my jerkies, I found that sanity was still 

going down just as fast.

At that moment, it dawned on me -- The flowers have taken over the world. There was simply 

nowhere safe to go.

Realizing this, I ran all the way back to my camp since I at least had /some/ things of use 

there. I tried to hold out until the end of winter to see how bad the coverage was, but that 

didn't happen; a particularly hallucinogenic-looking terrorbeak did me in.

So, in the end I've concluded that Evil Flowers have become decidedly more evil and should be 

burned on sight.

On another topic, how would I go about submitting multiple suggestions or bug reports with 

distinct differences between them? I'm not used to submitting feedback via a forum; usually I 

use some sort of bug tracker. The etiquette between a tracker and a forum seems to be very 

different; on another forum unrelated to Klei, I got treated like a small child for posting two 

vastly different issues five minutes apart. On a tracker this is what you're supposed to do 

since it allows the developers to tag the requests individually. Should I do that here too, or 

should I just lump everything into one post with a vague title like "feature suggestions" or 

"random assorted bugs"?

Should I do that here too, or 
should I just lump everything into one post with a vague title like "feature suggestions" or  "random assorted bugs"?

Well for starters, there is a "bugs and technical issues" subforum, directly below this subforum, under the RoG general forum.  I think you can do it whatever way you want.   SethR seems to read that forum regularly and I think he probably makes his own separate notes for each issue.

Flowers become evil during a full moon and sometimes stay that way for a while. I also would like to inform you that you were most likely losing all that sanity from the fact that you had wet clothing on. Kind of an issue with winter at the moment since it is very difficult to stop without just turtling at your base.

Pecival: That could be part of it. How long do they stay evil, and do they still take effect during the winter when they're buried by snow?

XirmiX: Nightmare hounds.

brummbar7: Thank'ya! I only put it here since I didn't see the spreading flowers as a /bug/, per-se, but more of an overpowered feature.

Boar Head: That could be it.. How do I fix wet clothing? Or wet anything, frankly? Things just seem to stay wet forever, even after huddling between two roaring fire pits for about two days straight. The water meter was gone entirely, but as soon as I dropped anything it became wet automatically.

Boar Head: That could be it.. How do I fix wet clothing? Or wet anything, frankly? Things just seem to stay wet forever, even after huddling between two roaring fire pits for about two days straight. The water meter was gone entirely, but as soon as I dropped anything it became wet automatically.

Yeah right now wetness is a bit broken to an extent. The only way (that I have found) to dry items is to equip an umbrella and have a top hat or helmet on and it will dry your items quite quickly. The problem is that if you unequip it your items will get wet again pretty fast.

Well, there's electrical STUFF. Maybe Wilson'll invent a dryer?

Discovery! Problem! Panic! So, totally dry. Ground is making regular dry sounds. Things are not called "wet". Sunset of day 24. I'm by a fire, temperature's okay (Heatstone's white), and for no obvious reason I start loosing sanity. Fast. Just like before.

Night rolls around, but there's no full moon. It's 3/4ths full, but I'm still going nuts. I thought if I played as Willow (which I am this time around) I'd be able to counter it by being near a fire.

Not. Even. Close. Arrow doesn't change size at all. Luckily I have two friendly pigs, so I stood by one of them to help fix it. I had to stand right on top of one while it was sleeping to stay sane; a few pixels in any direction flipped the arrow back over again.

Day breaks. Sanity loss is lower but still present, and greater than it is during the night. I made extra sure there were no evil flowers in the area. Paranoid me /burned/ them rather than picking them.

Something's very wrong. I went through a full moon in Fall and this didn't happen, so I don't think it's an "impending doom" sensation (despite the fact that I'm going to have werepigs on my hands soon. I maaaaaay have accidently burnt their house down while I was getting rid of flowers..).

The only thing I can think of is eating too much meat. Maybe there's a new mechanic that punishes players for eating meat? Like the Krampus but before he actually comes? At least I'm more prepared this time with a few places to sleep in the event things go terribly, terribly wrong..

Phillippe: Yep! That fixes it! Although there seems to be absolutely no way to dry anything once it's wet without using Boar Head's idea. Maybe the Drying Rack should get upgraded to dry things other than meats?

Archived