Let's be productive

JoeW

Ok guys.

What do we do?

I think we have one of the best forum communities in gaming. Right now, during this slower period, we have a chance to make it better.

What do you think we can do to improve it?

I have things that I am working on, and things that I want to see happen, I think starting a thread will help get us on the same page.

Things I am working on:

1- Spam. I am always working on spam, unfortunately they are a moving target. And we have, a LOT of them.

2- Community front page.

I am working on a front page for the forums, to keep you guys up to date on the best threads and stuff that's going on in the community.

3- Ignore

We need a better ignore system

4- Moderators

I need a better method of identifying people capable of being moderators. I am considering creating alternate accounts for people to use to moderate, to avoid community issues

5- Community "things"

More community spotlight type things. Active discussions about things of interest with the community, to go along with the front page.

6- Language gate

I am considering sectioning off areas of our forum for users who would rather communicate in language more comfortable to them.

There is more than this, but I think this is enough to chew on for now.

Use this thread to identify problem areas and strengths in our community, and suggest ways that you think we could improve it.

(NOTE: None of these things are promises, some of them may happen, some of them may not, but they are things that I am considering or actively working on)

Thank you, and all of Klei, for the work you've done and are doing on the forums, as well as your games.

And I approve of all of these things.

As for spam: Spam is like the common cold, but a lot different too. It never changes, but there's no real permanent cure. No way to prevent it. We can do our best, but it will always be here and all over the internet.

Okay, well, my opinion incoming.

1 - Not much I can say on this subject. Good luck, I guess.

2 - I kind of like the front page as it is. Maybe an upgrade to the "View New Content".

3 - It doesn't matter how good the ignore system is if people don't use it.

4 - And how, exactly, would this clear any issues up? I feel like it would only cause more confusion, because no one would know why who became a mod, or who is a mod, or anything. Besides, I would assume some people would follow mods as a good influence, and it would be easier if the moderator would stay connected to the original account.

5 - I'm excited for this potentially, but I would still like it in the "View New Content".

6 - I feel like that would be... Cumbersome. But different languages are a problem, and I guess that's a solution.

Again, this is opinion. So... Yeah. Opinions.

4 - And how, exactly, would this clear any issues up? I feel like it would only cause more confusion, because no one would know why who became a mod, or who is a mod, or anything. Besides, I would assume some people would follow mods as a good influence, and it would be easier if the moderator would stay connected to the original account.

why, aside from devs, does anyone need to know why someone became a mod? as for knowing who's a mod, their name would be green/yellow.

And also, just a suggestion, but I would like a way to know who has you on their ignore list. I feel like I'm on a lot of people's lists after the past events, but I don't know if this is true and if it is, I'd like to know who doesn't see my posts.

why, aside from devs, does anyone need to know why someone became a mod? as for knowing who's a mod, their name would be green/yellow.

Again, the influence thing. If people see someone get a reward for doing something, such as a higher position/status, they're probably going to want to copy it. As for the green/yellow thing, if JoeW made new accounts separate from the person's normal account, there would be no connection between the two. The only way to know if, for example, you (jbeetle) was made into a mod, your account would stay normal. Klei would just make a new account that's completely seperate from jbeetle. If that makes sense. So no one would know unless you decided to brag about it.

Again, the influence thing. If people see someone get a reward for doing something, such as a higher position/status, they're probably going to want to copy it. As for the green/yellow thing, if JoeW made new accounts separate from the person's normal account, there would be no connection between the two. The only way to know if, for example, you (jbeetle) was made into a mod, your account would stay normal. Klei would just make a new account that's completely seperate from jbeetle. If that makes sense. So no one would know unless you decided to brag about it.

it shouldn't even be considered a reward. if people think just because they're nice they'll become a mod, there'll be a lot of sad faces.

Exactly. And having someone to look up to will fix that, because they will no that it requires more than being nice.

It wouldn't fix anything. I'm sure there are way more candidates for mod than are even available slots. and if someone needs to look up to a mod to know how to act, they aren't mod material to begin with.

When you ignore someone, it treats them as if they aren't there.  No option to show posts, no profile, no nothing.  Also, if too many people ignore you, you get temporarily muted or it sends a message to the moderators so they can take action if necessary.

It wouldn't fix anything. I'm sure there are way more candidates for mod than are even available slots. and if someone needs to look up to a mod to know how to act, they aren't mod material to begin with.

But the point is that it would improve people's behavior. Probably enough derailing now. Does this count as derailing? I don't even know.

But the point is that it would improve people's behavior. Probably enough derailing now. Does this count as derailing? I don't even know.

I wouldn't count it as derailing.

Also, not trying to be hostile, but saying that is basically saying looking up to your parents means you shouldn't be a parent.

de-railing.

Edit: LOL, my computer derped and moved this down here. Never noticed it.

You were saying "If someone needs to look up to a mod to know how to act, they aren't mod material to begin with."

Replace mod with parent.

and you can replace mod with peanut butter and jelly sandwich too. that doesn't mean it's a good analogy. mods are not parents, just like mods are not babysitters.

and you can replace mod with peanut butter and jelly sandwich too. that doesn't mean it's a good analogy. mods are not parents, just like mods are not babysitters.

Jeez, sorry.

I was just trying to say, looking up to someone is normal. If I never looked up to anyone to know how to act I'd be the biggest A-hole this forum has ever known.

Both of you.  A lot of you.  If you would just not make that one comeback comment, we'd have a lot less flame wars around here.

People do take things more personal than they should, but I'd hardly consider what anyone said in this thread "taking it personally."

edit: until that most recent post.

@TooMuchHoneyHam yes, looking up to someone is normal, and a mod should generally be a person you should look up to, but it's not a mod's main purpose. But there is one thing a parent has in common with a mod -they can still do a perfect job and not be liked. Having a public reputation shouldn't be a requirement, dare i say even be considered.

Archived