The Pig King's Infinite Stash of Gold

Isn't the Pig King being a bit too generous with his gold?

I had two stacks of meat, turned them into two stacks of gold (2x20), and now I have pretty much no use for flint at all (except for spears if I should ever run out of tentacle spikes).

It would make sense to me if trading meat for gold was soft-capped. Like max 1-2 trades pr day or something.

Yes, this issue has been raised by other players, and I agree, he's waaaaay too generous. Sure, the "yellow rocks" are probably worthless to him, but from a gameplay standpoint it's far to easy to acquire gold ore. I'll fall back on a prior suggested solution, namely that the pig king should only give out a set amount of gold ore per day, and then fall asleep because he's full. Maybe 2-4 gold ore per day.

He makes gold an unlimited resouce, but since flint is a finite resource maybe this is necessary? I agree that there should be a cap though, maybe 5 a day?. i'm on day 70 and flint is hard to come by on my world. I don't trade with him often, but eventually, when i have no flint or rocks left anywhere, what else is there to be done?

I think he should be picky, and only give you gold for the food item he wants.

Good idea. We already know he shakes his head if you try giving him a food he doesn't want. What if we cranked it up a notch? Throw in my limit of gold ore per day, and then add in R__Man's "changing tastes" twist... and then have the pig king's desired food become more complex each day.

For example:

1st Time - Meat Morsels

2nd Time - Monster Meat

3rd Time - Ham

4th Time - Honeyed Ham

10th Time - Stuffed Eggplant

11th Time - Buttered Muffin

Now obviosuly the receipes from the crock pot are the limit in terms of complexity, but as there are multiple recepies and no way for the player to know for sure which one the pig king wants that next time then after a while it will become a serious challenge to guess which particular meal the pig king wants for that day and thus acquiring "easy gold".

Now, for simplicity, I don't suggest changing the selected "favorite food" of the pig king until the player guesses it correctly. Only then will it only change at the next sunrise. We wouldn't want to drive the player crazy after all.

He makes gold an unlimited resouce, but since flint is a finite resource maybe this is necessary? I agree that there should be a cap though, maybe 5 a day?. i'm on day 70 and flint is hard to come by on my world. I don't trade with him often, but eventually, when i have no flint or rocks left anywhere, what else is there to be done?

Well flint being finite is another issue. I've posted suggestions in other threads on how to deal with flint/stone limits. One suggestion involved creating underground caverns, which would provide a new series of locations for boulders to spawn. The other was the volcanic island biome that would, from time to time, erupt and spew boulders from lava pools that would rain down around the area. As the volcanic (or lava) biome would provide potentially limitless boudlers/resources my suggestions around it involved adding various natural dangers to discourage the player from staying there too long (i.e. steam vents, lava flows, firey cinders, tremors), oh, and flame hounds would spawn from the lava pools from day to day, just like how frogs spawn from ponds.

Feel free to search for the thread on the topic... as I discuss this often you'll probably get several results. :)