What do you do at night?

I'm gonna give everyone a little tip. That tip is the Auto-Equip Mod. With this mod you can easily switch from a torch to an axe, cut down a tree, and switch back to the torch without Charlie overly-foundling you with death.

The main point being made here is that night time does not need to be spent being idle. I preform damn near any task (except heavy fighting) just fine with the torch switcharoo. 

Try it out yourself. Remember to pause your movement to switch back to what you were holding before (torch).

(The movement is more like a stutter step than a pause.)

I'm gonna give everyone a little tip. That tip is the Auto-Equip Mod. With this mod you can easily switch from a torch to an axe, cut down a tree, and switch back to the torch without Charlie overly-foundling you with death.

The main point being made here is that night time does not need to be spent being idle. I preform damn near any task (except heavy fighting) just fine with the torch switcharoo. 

Try it out yourself. Remember to pause your movement to switch back to what you were holding before (torch).

Sounds nifty.

Wasn't that fixed with Maxwell's update?

How would they fix equipping a torch in your hand, right click an axe to equip it, cut down a tree, right click the torch to re-equip it?

How is that a concept that even needs to be fixed? The mod just makes the move easier to pull off.

How would they fix equipping a torch in your hand, right click an axe to equip it, cut down a tree, right click the torch to re-equip it?

How is that a concept that even needs to be fixed? The mod just makes the move easier to pull off.

No I meant, cutting the tree with the torch.

Well, might as well add my play-style.

Early on, I tend to cook my food for more hunger if the food benefits from it (which it almost always does, and when playing a new un-upgraded WX and/or Wes, it really helps when you have limited resources.) Then after eating, I make a torch and explore. This method takes just enough time to save me from having to make another torch on the fly for those first four longer nights. Having too many consecutive days where I only found the small amount (4-5) of bushes plus my emergency/winter carrots in the starting area (and nothing else,) I tend to play paranoid. Of course this still is mandatory if I happen to kill gobblers/rabbits found in grasslands/Savannah for cooking meat reasons. 

After I first have a base, I tend also to do my cooking and (if I build one) farm harvesting/replanting to take advantage for the next day's sun and hunger consumption. If I didn't have spare time during the day, I also take the time to organize and/or store items collected if needed.  If Sanity is an issue and I'm not Wickerboittom, I like to sleep at dusk or night depending on my sanity/things do do before my next day (making sure I have food immediately available if my hunger was low before sleeping.)

Of course this may be interrupted if I need to shave Beefalo or collect blue mushrooms (the last is exceptionally rare since I like green or red ones, but if they happened to spawn nearby, I may on a rare occasion harvest one or more until it rains again.) 

With winter, well...this quote said it best:

I stare at the fire with my eyes glazed over.

And after several seasons/200+ days, not much to do at night besides be ready for a hound attack sometimes and what was said here:

Well, I'm on day 1135, there isn't really much to do for me at nights when I'm not shaving beefalos or keeling spiders (which soon might not be needed at all as I started planting bunnymen houses near my silk farm). Especially during winter :grin:

Yeah, I got mobs for those spiders too :)

Archived