Idea for Motivation to Explore Caves

I know this idea was mentioned before but it hasn't been discussed recently. Anyway, here it is: add a new character that can only be unlocked by exploring caves. I don't think I've seen it mentioned since lava caves were dropped, but I think it's become relevant again because there's a lack of motivation to go caving.

This would give people a reason to go down into caves, and it wouldn't mess with the gameplay on the surface. Personally, I think unlocking a new character is a much more attractive reward than, say, being able to craft more advanced equipment that I don't need because I'm doing well enough to go into caves and get it in the first place!

Considering that a number of people don't like caves, not because they aren't fun, but because there's no reason to go down there, I think something like this would improve most people's experience with caves.

Of course, the problem is, once you've unlocked the character, there's still no reason to be down there. But it would still be an improvement!

Let's say there will be a character added that you can unlock in the caves, and he/she has a random chance to appear as a setpiece. Now whilst this would give more motivation to go into the caves, not finding the character for a long time will only make it more tedious and grindy to spelunk. You're not going down there to get more out of the game, you're going down there to get the character only to never venture down again.

Now a character you can unlock by spelunking in the caves is one of the good ways of making people go there, but I'm afraid it will all be futile in the end. Once you're done with the checklist of motivators... No more need to enter the caves.

Let's say there will be a character added that you can unlock in the caves, and he/she has a random chance to appear as a setpiece. Now whilst this would give more motivation to go into the caves, not finding the character for a long time will only make it more tedious and grindy to spelunk. You're not going down there to get more out of the game, you're going down there to get the character only to never venture down again.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I don't think it would work well if it was random. However, I do think unlocking the character should be the hardest thing to do in caves, so it will still keep you busy for a while. It could be a little like misadventure mode, where a lot of people only play it until they complete it once and unlock the secret character. I know this wouldn't be a solution to the motivation problem, but giving the player a concrete reason to explore caves at least once couldn't hurt.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I don't think it would work well if it was random. However, I do think unlocking the character should be the hardest thing to do in caves, so it will still keep you busy for a while. It could be a little like misadventure mode, where a lot of people only play it until they complete it once and unlock the secret character. I know this wouldn't be a solution to the motivation problem, but giving the player a concrete reason to explore caves at least once couldn't hurt.

And with that thought in mind, your idea is a good (be it temporary) one :)

If there was something late game on the surface that required items from the caves to properly survive (in the same sense that you need warm clothing to survive winter). Unfortunatly thats its not exactly a simple idea to implement... maybe if we'd got the new season there could have been most of the cooling items down in the ruins.

Archived