Is the Tentacle spike supposed to be rare?

I knew before the latest patch it was apparently rare, when I was out killing some tentacles to make a feather hat for my bereaved I've gotten 3 in a row to 1 patch, was kind of blown away, also curious, does the spike do more damage then the spear? I figure it does but just curious if there is a comparison between the two like how many strikes to kill an optimus pine between the 2. :p

The spikes aren't necessarily a rare drop, but currently, tentacles don't respawn, so they are technically a limited resource.

The spike does hit harder than the spear (under most circumstances. I've heard that it interacts with Wolfgang's extra strength strangely, but that might have been changed by now) though I'm not sure exactly how much harder. I personally bring the spike out for fighting difficult opponents, and use the normal spear on easier prey.

Ah, makes sense since they don't respawn, though that same fact makes getting patches annoying. XD

I'm pretty certain that the devs plan to make tentacles respawn in a future patch, but for now, they're limited.

I'm pretty certain that the devs plan to make tentacles respawn in a future patch, but for now, they're limited.

Yes this is true, Kevin said that to me when i specifically asked wether tentacles respawn or not. Sadly, it didnt make it in the 27nov update. Perhaps next time.

The spikes aren't terribly rare, it's the Tentacle Spots (used for various hats IIRC) that are rare. And yes, the Spikes are a (small) damage upgrade over the Spear. A Spike can kill Spiders in 2 hits; Hounds in 2 hits; Pig Men in 3 hits; and more Tentacles in 6 hits. To compare, the spear takes 2, 3, 4, and 8 hits for the same foes, I believe. As for Tree Guards, I never counted the number of hits, partly because A) it's so damn many hits and B) they come in 2 sizes which makes it ever harder to keep track of. I'm sure a Spike will kill Tree Guards in fewer hits than a Spear, I just don't know how many hits you're "saving".

Wolfgang 2 hit spiders with the spear, but 1 hits them with the tentacle spike. Also he seems to deal with tentacles and treeguards alot faster than any other char coz every hit he does deals more dmg, and it adds up fast on tanky enemies. Wolfgang saves u alot of % on ur weapons overall.