Build on this!

gus.melendez83

I truly feel that you guys have done an amazing job with this game and you could build on this a lot more than you did on shank. There's room for a prequel maybe or a whole new "Champion" to be chosen. For the next game maybe you can allow the user to chose their one weapon of choice for each level and have a work around as to how that weapon can be applied in each level differently. I definitely like the silent protagonist though made me feel like I was him. Keep at this guys your doing Tenchu, Hitman, Thief, Splinter Cell, MGS and Assassins Creed proud! Your among the titans now in my opinion and you did it in 2D lol

Edited by gus.melendez83

the cartoony style makes it cute. however, cant help but wonder what a less "tounge in cheeky" ninja game would be like, in actual 3D environments. the animation just reminds me of the batman cartoons kids watch nowadays.the story concerning the ink is a cool spin on things however. i guess a happy medium is what this game screams for. would put tenchu to shame, as it should, considering there doesnt appear to be anything new comin down the pike in that department.maybe if it were 3D anime motn, equipped with the M rating & even more of an emphisis on a more dynamic stealth killing system.not to be misunderstood, the 2D platforming is showcased quite well with stealth mechanics. just makes me wonder, "what if"...?

I don't know, I think 3D would totally ruin the gameplay and turn it into a generic stealth game. The fact games like Tenchu and Shinobido are not perfect is because they are 3D stealth games. You'd end up losing precision, which is what I loved in Mark of the Ninja: you can be a lot precise in all the Stealth Kills, due the fact it's 2D, so it's all about aiming on four directions instead of multi-directional. Assassin's Creed is an exception to this because it's a really wide game filled with details, and the lock-on system combined with the low profile mode make it much more difficult to make mistakes.I like anime, but KLEI got its own art style. Changing it would mischaracterize it, because it's what make KLEI being KLEI.Gus idea is pretty good, specially the part about the weapons.

Interesting thoughts, thanks folks. I do like the notion of selecting weapons with different properties.It's impossible to say for sure, but I don't think we'd ever do a 3D Ninja game. I'd love if it another studio who does more 3D work built upon some of our ideas (I'd certainly play that game!), but as Valhalen said, I like the precision 2D offers. There's a lot more territory to explore there, potentially.But yeah, a "what if" is definitely a fun thing to think about. Hopefully someone else will turn that "what if" into something real!

maybe if it were 3D anime motn, equipped with the M rating & even more of an emphisis on a more dynamic stealth killing system.

FWIW, Mark of the Ninja did have an M rating ;) You can't have as much stabbing as we allowed (but didn't require) and get anything less.

The 3D is not necessary at all. Think of all the exploration that can be done in a 2D realm imagine a MotN game with a 2d worlds as big as Castlevania Symphony of the night or Harmony of Despair, as a matter of fact what if 2D 2 player(I really mean 2 player only!) versus or Co-op in a 2D environment like Harmony of despair maps where two ninjas compete for the most kills or work together by using each individuals unique skills sets! For example I have a kunai with a chain that only I can use as a "tight rope" that me and my buddy can use to traverse an area above an enemy and my buddy has his unique weapon that grants its own unique ability. Imagine the fun coop involved with someone wearing the path of stealth costume while the other brings the hunter or path of might uniform :) its getting hard for me to write these ideas into words but I am over joyed at the fact that I can see so much potential in a simple 2D game Honestly it can only get better Nels!