a few newb questions

just bought the game a few days ago and i'm pretty much completely addicted

didn't realize till reading another post just now that wasd moves, spacebar attacks, and holding cntrl makes ya drop 1 item at a time, either i'm an idiot for not trying them...or completely overlooked the controls menu? wondering if there's any other little short cuts i'm unaware of?

im under the impression by other threads every map/world has a pig town/pig king on it somewhere?

do hats and helmets actually do anything? or are they just for style?

is experience based strictly on how many days you survive? or does it factor in how many research points you earn/spend or how much you build?

any help/info much appreciated! thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Every map should have a pig king altho i have heard of cases where he didnt spawn. This is extremely rare and only happens when alot of the islands spawned on top of eachother. Havent had it happen to myself yet.

Most hats and helmets are only for the looks, however there are 2 that are worth mentioning seperately. The newly added football helmet works like a logsuit and gives dmg reduction. The other hat with a purpose is the miner hat. I dont want to spoil this for you, but you should make one and see what it does, and then think about how and when u should use it ^_^

I have NO clue about the experience, but i unlocked all my chars in one go by reaching 100 days in my 2nd playthrough. The first time i died at day 7 and got almost nothing. I have read in another thread that suriving 98 days is definately enough to unlock all characters. If research points and/or buildings contribute to the xp, that i really dont know.

Enjoy!

q,e and left and right arrows rotate the screen 90 degrees so you can pick stuff up behind trees.

And I think I read that the bird hat attracts more birds, or they were planning on implementing that eventually. Hopefully all hats will serve some kind of purpose at some point.

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Every map should have a pig king altho i have heard of cases where he didnt spawn. This is extremely rare and only happens when alot of the islands spawned on top of eachother. Havent had it happen to myself yet.

Most hats and helmets are only for the looks, however there are 2 that are worth mentioning seperately. The newly added football helmet works like a logsuit and gives dmg reduction. The other hat with a purpose is the miner hat. I dont want to spoil this for you, but you should make one and see what it does, and then think about how and when u should use it ^_^

I have NO clue about the experience, but i unlocked all my chars in one go by reaching 100 days in my 2nd playthrough. The first time i died at day 7 and got almost nothing. I have read in another thread that suriving 98 days is definately enough to unlock all characters. If research points and/or buildings contribute to the xp, that i really dont know.

Enjoy!

I died withing the first week twice before a ~63 day third life. The XP from that unlocked all the characters. Right now death is the only way to unlock these characters, but hopefully in the future they can tie it to using the tent.

Bee Keeper hat is another to get if you want to setup bee boxes/honey supply.

There is currently no Controls Menu, but on the suggestions and feedback forum there's a stickied thread (lthere's a link on my signature also) to a fan-maintained guide of controls. You should learn all you need about moving and interacting there.

By the way, welcome to the forums ;)