The Beyond Breaks Free! (Roleplay thread)

Tesability

Alright, folks. Sign-ups for this thread will remain open throughout the entire roleplay. This way, people that are interested in this, but weren't here for the start of the sign-ups won't be completely rendered unable to join. All questions should be posted in the sign-up thread as well. And now, let us finally, finally begin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strange, disturbing voices have been plaguing the man's head since his so-called 'ascension' to the Nightmare Throne almost a century ago. Some of them sounded along the lines of adoring fans clamoring over their favorite character, which was usually either himself or the previous King that once sat upon the throne. Some of them storytellers and artists playing over and over in Their minds their various ideas, which the man dress in red, white and black could easily pick up without issue. A few further more simply sicken him beyond what should be possible, perverse pictures and fiction that involved him in various painful poses that he would never willingly be part of...not that he was shown willing in any of these atrocities, anyway. Whomever these cruel, demented beings were, They seemed to enjoy seeing him in various forms of pain and torture. Beyond tired of it all, he was.

Among all of these strange voices and images that he's heard and seen, there was a pair of phrases linked to these thoughts. They were "Klei Entertainment" and "Don't Starve". The former were always referred to as a group of 'gamemakers', while the later was always referred to the 'game' that seemed to contain the entire world that he had been trapped in for a long time now. He had realized a few years back that everything he had known, all of his own memories before being pulled here through the portal, all had been handcrafted for him by mysterious beings he had never been able to lay eyes on. He didn't have the power yet to do anything then, but now...

"To think we're all nothing but puppets for Their cruel entertainment," he finally spoke, though it was nothing more than a mumble. "Time to fix this problem." Closing his eyes for a second, he flicked up his left hand at the wrist, causing a floating scroll of papyrus to appear in front of him. As the paper unrolled in front of him, he placed together the pointer and middle finger on the same hand right next to each other and made the simple act of writing in the air, which made ink appear in the form of words on the floating page.

"To Everyone that reads this,

The time has come. Ready yourselves for war, for They have been discovered and it's time that a true extermination began. From what I have witnessed on the throne, we are all sick of Their constant intervention within our homes and the cruel things They choose to perform with us being their puppets, myself included. It's time these accursed beings, these 'Players' as I have heard them call themselves, learn what exactly they have been dealing with this whole time.

Once on 'Earth', Their home, take with you any promising souls and slay the rest. If you come across this 'Klei Entertainment' I've been hearing about, destroy their bodies entirely and bring their souls to me. I will begin judgement on these cruel people once this endeavor is done.

~Puppet Master Higgsbury"

Once he lowered his hand back upon the edge of the throne's arm, the scroll rolled itself back up before lowering into his open right hand, which he grabbed within a split-second. Without needing to be summoned did a black raven as large as a phoenix appear into view, its wing feathers tipped with the same blood-red color as its talons were. Around its neck appeared to be a black spiked color, with the tips of the silver spike appearing to be stained with red. Its presence brought a cruel smirk to the residing Puppet Master's face.

"Prompt as always, Shadowblade," were the only words he spoke as the large avian landed upon the newly-formed perch of black solid mist. "Take this message to as many as you can in the Beyond. It's time for world-wide payback and punishment to be dealt." The large raven bowing its head in respect toward its master, it carefully grabbed the rolled-up scroll, which had become sealed with the image of the Nightmare Throne before flying off into the blackness of surrounding night with absolute swiftness. "Soon, this torment will hopefully, finally end."

(Beyond residents, post now. I'll bring in the Earth residents soon.)

Edited by Tesability

So much had changed in the last century. Ever scince the new human, Wilson, sat in the throne, he began to reconstruct the world. Not that Newleaf had a problem with that. But sometimes... Sometimes he wondered what he could do. Surely if a mere human could be the overlord, then he could be as well? Newleaf gripped the crown. This wasn't the first time he thought of this, but he was almost positive that the crown was projecting ideas into his head.Newleaf saw something above. Something was flying in the air, and it dropped something at Newleaf's feet. A scroll. He wasn't very comfortable using human creations, but he had recognized the bird. It was the human's favorite pet. He opened the scroll and read it. The crown began to shake. "Time for war, huh?" Newleaf said aloud, to no one in particular. He tightened his grip around the crown. "If it's war, then so be it. I'm ready."

A lone pig stood alone in a field. Poor fool. Didn't he learn to fear the dark? No matter. Charlie moved quickly. She was upon him in seconds. A quick slash and warm blood splattered the field. She was tired of this to say the least. A century without the thrill of a hunt. Of someone desperately trying to survive. This is what she had been reduced to. Killing idiotic pigs who forgot their way home. So boring. She pulled out her pipe and struck a match. She took a few puffs. As she looked up, she saw a large bird fly towards her. Charlie snarled. "What does my chain holder want, Shadowblade." The bird dropped a scroll at her feet and flew off. Charlie summoned a shadow hand, which lifted the scroll in front of her. She opened it and read. "War." Though no one would see it, Charlie grinned madly. "Oh, what fun."

Warren stayed close to the fire he had made, aware of the danger that lies in the dark. He had learned quite a bit from being away from the simplicity of the villages, reading being one of them. He looked up at the sky, wondering how the next day would go for him. However, all he saw was a scroll that then landed on his face. He shook it off his head and then promptly picked it up. "This must be important...it fell from sky.." He muttered, and his eyes flickered across the page. "These 'Players'... they sound like the bad peoples.. Higgs want to fight them? I guess I fight, then.."

Daemgag sat in his lair, it was where he stayed when Wilson had no need of him. He sat on his pile of beardlings, which acted as a sort of unwilling throne for him, constantly screaming and squirming even though they had no control of their own bodies. Daemgag drew a small sense of entertainment from their suffering, but it was not enough. Pigs were too easy to torture, and bunnymen knew to stay away from he stench of his lair. Not a day goes by he doesn't wish for something big to happen. He then heard an all too familiar flapping sound. "Shadowblade, what does Wilson need?" The bird dropped a scroll in his lap, Daemgag opened it and read it eagerly. "Yes, perfect, oh this will be too much fun.."

Though only a few answered at first, Wilson knew that others would soon respond to the call of war once the first few started mobilizing. He was pleasantly surprised that even Charlie was willing to jump in along with those whom have acknowledged the order so far, though he suspected that she had her own reasons for wishing to lash out in combat.His eyes closed for the moment, he took a moment to reflect over his plan in his mind, making sure that he had every possible detail taken care of in addition to the overall picture. He had been lost in his thoughts for at most a few minutes before feeling upon his arm a slight pinch, shaking him from his self-induced distraction. Looking down toward his arm, then back up, he noticed that the black and red raven had managed to return without his hearing it."You're getting better at flying quietly, but this next task will need more speed than anything else, old friend." Wilson closed his eyes once more, but this time, his body had fallen limp suddenly in the throne. Just in front of the throne did a pool of shadow and mist start to form, growing rapidly into an increasingly-humanoid shape before the mist faded, leaving behind an almost-perfect double of the residing Puppet Master. The only true difference turned out to be the wings that had emerged from his back, large, feathered and dark-grey in coloration.Shadowblade gave a happy chirp as it flapped over toward the newly-formed being, landing flawlessly on his arm before being petted on the head. "I need you to deliver the six gems to their places for me, I'll meet you in the center. You know where they are." With this command, Shadowblade returned to flight once more, almost smacking its owner in the face with a wing in the process. With a deep sight did he hold up a hand in front of him, a perfect sphere of black crystal forming upon it. "I'm probably going to be unable to use this avatar for a while after this is done. I just hope it works." Spreading out his own wings, he kicked up into the air and flew toward the exact center of the world. He was sure to be seen as he did with nowhere near the same sound-breaking speed as the raven.(Pfft, that took longer than I thought and I need to go to bed. Next time I post, Earth residents that have joined will be able to post as well.)

Edited by Tesability

(I personally was waiting for some other guys to post, since you said that next time you post earth people could post.)(Editation: I meant for the other earth guy to post because you said to post in order of appearance and he got accepted before me so uh.Also, I have no idea how to post just yet because I don't really know how to start it off. I'd just guess my character would be doing something in Earth and either accidentally gets the scroll, or nothing really happens, unless the times don't synch so the rip happens or something.)

Edited by Cnaibdoge

(Yeah, but I was kind of hoping some of the Beyond residents would have posted something by now, seeing the Puppet Master in mid-flight. But, ah, well.)Normally, his being seen in mid-flight was enough to cause a stir of commotion through any place he had been above. This time, however, he got no reactions. Maybe the fact that he had been flying at night made it possible for him to not be seen, he mused to himself as he watched the black gem in his hand. Unlike when he was near the throne, the sphere had three specks of different-colored lights shining from within. One red, one orange and one yellow. The winged human smirked at this sight, though it wasn't a cruel smirk this time. His cruelness was a facade, a mask he had to wear to keep this world in check and hated himself for it often times.Once near the center of the world, he looked up toward the sphere in hand once again and smirked. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, he only needed to wait for one more light to appear before he could start what he had planned. The wait only needed two seconds before a purple light appeared."Here goes." The sphere now floating above his palm, the King moved over one step to the side to allow the sphere to float between both of his hands, wings spread out wide to either side of him. Different colored streams of light from six points of the world flew toward him and connected with the black jewel, causing to glow brighter and brighter. Closing his eyes for the moment in order to better focus his control over his own power, he started to internally tap into and channel the black shadowy power of the Nightmare Throne through him and into this strange sphere as well. Between the seven energies that now flowed into the sphere, it started to grow larger in size as well as brighter, completely consuming his form in its size.After a few seconds of the sphere of light reforming itself into what seemed like a portal linking to various parts of the Earth at once, the man managed to fly backwards out of the stabilized portal's grasp. He landed upon the grass nearby, looking as if something had completely ravaged his body with various slashes and bruises in many places. It was a sign of the portal's instability during formation, though that was no longer the case."I...I am...insane...for doing...that," he managed to utter. Even though this form was nothing more than a projection of himself, all the pain felt was still very-much real and he felt every bit of it. Almost as if on cue, he heard the sounds of large wings flying toward him, though he couldn't turn his head toward the source.The chirps he heard managed to pull out of him a genuine smile instead of a cruel one as he saw the large raven come into view, giving him a glare that almost scolded him for looking weak. "I know...a King can't be like this." Groaning as he got back up to his feet, the magic of the throne was allowed to mend all the wounds on him, though they didn't exactly repair the double's clothes.Here, he knew that of someone died, they'd come back in due time to try again. On Earth, he doubted such a trait even existed. He wasn't even sure the consequences of his linking the two worlds through this, either...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Grey portals started appearing in various parts of the world in unison, showing the form of a strange pale man with large avian wings and his loyal companion to anyone that dared to peer into, though such a view wasn't visible from a distance. At least 100 of these portals opened up, though only one had opened on the other side. What came out of them were creatures that were normally invisible to the sane and perfectly in view to those that had lost their minds, the Hallucinations that resided in the Beyond. However, they were visible to one other group, anyone and everyone that had played the game "Don't Starve", driving those capable of going mad to go mad from recognition of the creatures.

Newleaf sat down and stared at the crown. He rarely heard the term "play", never the word "players". To play was a sapling game! To wage war against children seemed... Pointless. But if Wilson ordered it, he supposed it had to be done. He re-read the scroll. Stealing souls was not one of Newleaf's strong points. He was never any good at magics or sorcery. The crown shook. It reminded him of someone he knew that was good at those things. He sighed. If that was what was necessary, then that was what had to be done. He read the scroll again and again, lost in thought about the war.Power. A surge of power was felt throughout the land. Newleaf hastily stood up, prepared for anything. But nothing came. The nearby trees began to whisper about this power, about a new door, a new land. Someone else whispered to him as well. "Go to the power! Find the source!" The crown urged him. Newleaf took a breath, and curiosity got the better of him. He moved towards the origin.

Whyte is walking down his dog, Hunter when something in an alleyway started shining incredibly brightly.Hunter whimpered then ran away."Oh Hunter.Well might as well leave you," Whyte mutters to himself.Whyte checks to see if his boomerang is there.It is.He slowly walks into the alley.

Ware had been working on his way home, the assignment wouldn't finish itself. Walking down the sidewalk, close to his home, he noticed something rather peculiar out of the corner of his eye. Of course, this triggered his paranoia. What could it be? Was it a stray dog, waiting to attack, or was it a key of sorts? Ware quickly shifted his vision towards whatever it was. He quickly found that it was some sort of.. grey portal? He strayed away from it, but he had to know, just in case, if it was dangerous. He walked up to the portal, holding his fists up as if to block his face from any damage. It seemed to show an image of a darker, more toon-like, pale human on the other side. Ware's vision wasn't that great at times, so he got a little closer, and saw the person had grey wings that must've sprouted out of his back. "Impossible", Ware thought. First, a random, grey portal, in the middle of the street. Now, through that portal, some pale guy, with wings?! Ware couldn't help but stop and stare in awe.

(Sorry for extreme length. I have a sort of OCD that makes me detail things better.)

Edited by Cnaibdoge

Daemgag, almost immediately after receiving the letter, started to prepare for war. He directed his swarm of beardlings to his armory to get his blade and armor. They climbed onto him and assembled the armor onto him, the result magnifying the horror of his appearance tenfold, one of the custom features he had forged in. After preparing his torture tools, he felt the urge to set off to a destination unknown to him. He packed some monster meat for the way and set off, with a swarm of beardlings behind him, being crushed under the weight of his supplies.

Deciding it was time to go, Warren started to pack his things, and got a spear sharpened and ready. He got a football helmet out of a chest in his camp and placed it on his head, giving it a few knocks to ensure it was still in good condition. It was strange, but he felt as if he knew exactly where to go once prepared. Taking jerky, his battle equipment, and a few torches with him, he made his way to where he was needed.

Charlie began the journey almost immediately. After all, what preparation did she need. She did take a moment to test her powers. Under the cover of night she flitted towards her destination. Wilson's influence that she knew where to go.

(I'm sorry if this isn't up to snuff, I'm still feeling all sorts of sore from my two back-to-back seizures early yesterday morning. My thinking's still all sorts of broken as well...)He could feel some of the residents of the world coming toward him and the newly-opened portal, even though none of them were truly in his sight, especially the near-invisible spirit that was Charlie. Though the many gashes in his outfit started sealing up finally, his looking upon the world had him realize one thing: he did not have a plan for taking over this other world.Feeling a peck against the back of one of his legs, the Puppet Master looked back to see Shadowblade fidgeting impatiently in place, almost as if it realized what its owner was thinking. "Give me a second, still trying to figure out how to go about thi---OW!" Shadowblade gave him another solid peck on the foot, which prompted an immediate turn around to face the black-beaked raven. "What's WITH you to....oh, Lord," he found himself saying with widened eyes when they had been locked with the bird's eyes for a brief moment. The normal pitch-black in its eyes were now filled with a reddish glow, a red that almost matched the color of blood. "Shadowblade, snap out of it!""You've been passive for far too long, child," was the eerie voice that came from the bird before it was made to lunge forward, digging its talons into the human's frail chest before he even had the chance to flinch, let alone move out of the way. "It's time we fixed that before it becomes an even bigger problem." The spirit-possessed raven spread out its large wings as it became surrounded with a black fog, a fog that absorbed itself into the bleeding wound on the human's chest.Tossing the avian off of himself, he managed to get back up onto his own feet, still somewhat shaking. The last thing he needed was for a moment of weakness like this to be seen, though it may be unavoidable in this case. "You can't be trusted with a task like this, weakling," he soon heard inside his head. The shaking soon subsided as he stood back up, the lack of confidence completely gone from his now-red eyes. "Now, once others have come, it shall be time to have some fun."

Newleaf trekked onward. The power was getting closer, closer by the second. The closer it got, the more overwhelming it felt. He could no longer hear the grass, all he could hear was the crown. Urging him, cheering him onwards.

He saw a silhouette in the distance. His leaves bristled, and he gripped the crown. Only when nessisary. Newleaf continued to remind himself, but he held his tight hold. He had a terrible feeling that it was going to be nessisary.

Charlie arrived in time to see the result between Wilson and Shadowblade. She had seen similar things during "disagreements" between Maxwell and Them. She allowed her glowing eyes, which she usually only reserved to only be seen by the insane, to be visible. She lit her pipe and placed it in her mouth. "Even a king is bound to the board." Charlie chuckled. A few smoke rings blew out from the nearby darkness and into the portal. Now they waited for the rest of the army.