Wow. He has always been my favorite character. Now he's just invincible. Not only are his max stats incredibly high, overcharge combined with the walking staff makes him incredibly fast (on a road it's so over the top it's funny). Coming from someone who survived with Maxwell at max 15 health (due to effigies) for well over 30 days - much of that time in the swamp - I'm not sure what to do. I'm tempted to go toe to toe with the Deer Clops. I would vote for either a reduction in max status (maybe to about Wolfgang level), create a penalty for upgrading (he's slower, rain does more damage, he rusts and needs to constantly build an item to prevent damage, can't befriend animals, etc), or allow the upgrade of one-two categories at the expense of the third.He is fun to play though in the beginning. An early rain storm makes it all the more exciting.

I don't think it's overpowered. You need to work for those upgrades, you have avery low chance of getting them in graves, so you need to fight with clockwork monsters. Even then, I believe it's only +20 for gears.

I wouldn't say you have to work for them. You have to look for them it is true and not die while you do so. But that isn't exactly hard. I finally found the portal piece on day 25 after accidentally starting winter on day 11 through a trap. I had already explored 85% of the map and had found all 4 of the necessary pieces. The only time I even came remotely close to dying was when I attacked the penguins because I had never faced them before and didn't know what they did. Killing everything around the portal is easy because the gears also replenish everything. You don't even have to dodge. Just sit there and whack away, healing to upgraded levels whenever needed. Considering surviving at 100 health was no problem, how am I supposed to be worried at 400?

• Like 1

Your crap always gets set on fire, I always have issues with that and sanity with the lightning. The gears I still haven't found and am stuck at 100 health still on day 86. My entire berry bush farm has been burned down by that, including my forest. He isn't OP.

I don't think it's overpowered. You need to work for those upgrades, you have avery low chance of getting them in graves, so you need to fight with clockwork monsters. Even then, I believe it's only +20 for gears.

Wx's downside is completely negated if you pick him after a world hop

Your crap always gets set on fire, I always have issues with that and sanity with the lightning. The gears I still haven't found and am stuck at 100 health still on day 86. My entire berry bush farm has been burned down by that, including my forest. He isn't OP.

I understand that some people don't explore. But it is easily possible to completely explore the entire map on default size within 30 days. And that might be slow. But to say that WX-78 isn't easy to upgrade because you haven't explored the map by day 86 means only that you have chosen not to explore by day 86. Again, it took me 25 days (which is average) to find all the set pieces and that was with winter happening on day 11 (due to a trap I sprung) and finding the final set piece in the last 10% of the unexplored area.

Something that really picks my bones is that peiple complain because "His max stats are so HIGH!". You have to keep in mind that these are actually his max max stats. You have to work to get that high, and honestly, if you dont want such high stats, then dont……… upgrade him so much. (I bet you thought i was going to say not to play as him )

Something that really picks my bones is that peiple complain because "His max stats are so HIGH!". You have to keep in mind that these are actually his max max stats. You have to work to get that high, and honestly, if you dont want such high stats, then dont……… upgrade him so much. (I bet you thought i was going to say not to play as him )

I don't necessarily disagree with this - and in future play throughs I probably won't - but (a) I've already upgraded him - with no way to downgrade unless I want to restart I'm stuck; and (b) when possible I would like the game to be balanced because it is balanced not because I decide to play it with one arm behind my back (in other words, telling someone one that if they don't like a feature don't use it is very similar to telling someone well if the game is too easy, play it while sitting on one of your hands - literally. Yes I can make the game harder by imposing limitations on myself, whether those are in game by not using a particular feature - out out game by playing with a cast on my arm - but I'd rather just play the game).Now maybe WX-78 is just one of the new super characters like Wolfgang is - i.e. Don't Starve's new late game easy mode. If this is actually what the game designers want them I guess I'm all for it (kind of makes sense actually) though I'm torn that it happened to my favorite character.

I only played him once since the update. Of course the gears were located in the one spot on the map I checked very last. I needed to kill ten of the twenty killer bee hives that were bottlenecking and blocking the area that the gears were in. I knew it immediately when I saw the killer bee bottleneck they would be there but thought better keep exploring because that will take a while...I concur, he did seem invincible after playing so late in the game with such a low amount of hit points. I don't think it mattered at that point in my game. It would have been ridiculously easy mode if I had acquired them early as some people seem to have. There must be a happy medium. I do like they you have to use the gears you would have used to make your food spoil slower to make him upgrade. Seems fitting considering the character and other perks.

I like the fact that you are encouraged to travel to the next world in order to finish your upgrading, unless you get super lucky with grave digging. Otherwise, I think you can only get to like 260 health from the bishops and knights in one world

Wx's downside is completely negated if you pick him after a world hop

That's not his only downside, he also gets hurt in rain (Imagine trying to do "A cold reception" with him!) and looses sanity when he's hit by lightning. Yes, WX can be fully upgraded if you do it after a world hop, but you still had to work for it, you still had to kill the clockworks before you do it. It's no different that hop to a different world already with a stack of food, weapons, a cane, a Tam, and all the cool things you found in the latest one.

Gears are very rare, unless you find the wooden thing, but even so, you need lots of gears before you can fully upgrade him.

Finding the chessboard before the first winter is one of my biggest goals no matter what character I pick. I don't understand why many of you think finding it is so difficult. In my first game playing WX-78 post patch, I ate 8 gears and moved on to world 2 by day 61. It only took as long as it did due to killer bees blocking the way to the board. I had cleared the chessboard in world 2 by day 10.

That's not his only downside, he also gets hurt in rain (Imagine trying to do "A cold reception" with him!) and looses sanity when he's hit by lightning. Yes, WX can be fully upgraded if you do it after a world hop, but you still had to work for it, you still had to kill the clockworks before you do it. It's no different that hop to a different world already with a stack of food, weapons, a cane, a Tam, and all the cool things you found in the latest one.

Rain damage on a 400hp character isn't even noticeable. The buff you get from lighting is amazing. Losing sanity for it doesn't matter at all.Cold Reception is only hard with him because the only real downside he has is stats gained from eating gears do not carry over to adventure mode. If they carried over the rain would be trivial.I'm not saying "nerf! nerf!" but he's obviously really badass right now.