Ways to incorporate Maxwell into the game [Brain Storm]

I'm fond of the idea where, Maxwell periodically shows up to check on you (as if you were stranded for his amusement.) If you are alive, he makes things harder for you. Gradually introducing difficulties which in turn open up new resources. Eventually, you'll be able to defeat him with the supplies he has inadvertently allowed to you. This will then unlock the choice to go home and end the game. I imagine a portal, that you may pass through of your own free will, to end the game and send you home (Don't pass through the portal to continue your island life.)

I feel this idea would increase the game play of Don't Starve. I currently find that after about 40 days, I'm out of new things to do and my long term survival is guaranteed. By changing the game difficulty, with things like monster attacks and resource famines, you can challenge and hold the players attention longer. Then once you are out of new content for the player to unlock, offer them an endgame for a sense of closure and reward. Or allow them to play on and investigate the game as they please.

Thoughts? Other Ideas?

you forget that this game is in very early beta. we only play the "early game" at the moment, "mid game" and "late game" are still to be introduced to us, so you can rest assured that the game will get a whole lot more difficult, and that you will have plenty of stuff to do past day 40.

About your idea...

(as if you were stranded for his amusement.)
I am actually pretty sure that this is already the case :)

yet, maxwell showing up from time to time is not that bad of an idea to be honest. I am not sure that there is a need for him to activly do something that makes survival harder for you, just a little visite, and one or two mean words thrown at you might work already, just so one get's a feeling that there indeed is a bigger plot behind it all.

I am actually pretty sure that this is already the case :)

From the Steam game description:

Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic.

You play as Wilson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home.

Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play your way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land.

Seems like it's canon.

It takes abit to sink in, but this is a BETA, with all the awesomeness that implies with a game that has this kind of polish at this stage of development. For all we know, many of our suggestions are things the devs planned to implement already, and we're just confirming to them they had the right ideas. I eagerly anticipate the coming months as more and more of this game gets fleshed out. I've played games that were "finished" that were less fun and FAR less stable than this. Keep up the good work klei, this game is a classic in the making.