[Suggestion] Ranged weapons, by tier and materials.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'll flesh it out more here in a structured form.

1. Sling. (not slingshot) Whirls around and behind head, needs to be brought up to speed for range and damage and also to prevent spamming. Lowest range weapon. Meant for rabbits and birds.

Mats: Rope.

Shot: Stones.

2. Bow. Takes time to pull back while holding down mouse, better range and damage with fairly quick firing speed. Midrange weapon. Meant for spiders and gobblers, bigger prey if one is feeling brave.

Mats: Board, Rope, Silk.

Shot: Arrow. Twigs, Feathers, Flint

3. Crossbow. Fires quickly, but takes MUCH longer to load than a bow. Mid to long range with greater damage than bow. Meant for larger prey, but not mobs.

Mats: Same as bow, but higher amounts.

Shot: Bolts, same as arrow, less twigs and feathers, mainly to keep ammo seperate but authenticity is also good :cool:

4. Musket. Fires Quickly, but takes a LONG TIME to reload. Longest range. Extreem Damage. Meant for one shot hunting on Beefalo. Most definatly not for mobs, reload time is death sentence for up close fighting.

Mats: Iron (would have to add), boards, charcoal (and anything else hienous and hard to get the devs want)

Shot: Two parts, bullets from Iron, gunpowder from powder horn. Horn made from wood, gunpowder from charcoal.

This game is a dream come true, I've always liked the idea of wilderness survival. I anticipate great things to come. Adding these would be awesome, and I could get my revenge on the gobbler!!! (OH NOES, MAH BERREHS!!!!) :p

Dijad

I SEARCHED "ranged" to see if anyone had suggested this. If nobody had I planned on it, so obviously this has my full support. I think it could be simplified though, like maybe not have so many ranged weapons? I only say this because there's really only one weapon so far, so I think it would kind of be overkill to add four ranged ones. What if there was just a bow that required 500 research points and then used up twigs, silk, and rope? This would make more sense because only one ranged weapon would mean everyone would want it, but it wouldn't be OP because it's such a pain to get arrows.

The way you describe these weapons sounds overpowered. What's stopping you from making 3 muskets and swapping weapons to get a chain gun? :p

And if they share a cooldown... Musket, crossbow, then bow, and then quickly change to spear when the enemy's close. You'd have to implement something that would prevent the player from brutally abusing these weapons.

Otherwise: All for it. I'd love sniping stuff ;)

1. Sling. (not slingshot) Whirls around and behind head, needs to be brought up to speed for range and damage and also to prevent spamming. Lowest range weapon. Meant for rabbits and birds.

Mats: Rope.

Shot: Stones.

Yes, the sling and slingshot have been suggested, so this is a popular idea. Rope is a good choice, with the other being silk. The idea of using stones is the easiest option for ammunition, although it's been also suggested that stones could be "refined" or broken down into several smaller stones (i.e. stone bullets) which you could then launch from the sling.

For the slingshot it was suggested that they include a new tree type, the rubber tree, and a new invention that would be a wooden spiggot or tap, which is combined with a bucket to let you slowly collect rubber sap over time. Then once you have enough you could turn it into a slingshot (sticks + rubber = slingshot). It was also noted that the swamp tree is currently useless, so it could always be used as the source of the rubber sap without the need to create a new tree asset/artwork.

2. Bow. Takes time to pull back while holding down mouse, better range and damage with fairly quick firing speed. Midrange weapon. Meant for spiders and gobblers, bigger prey if one is feeling brave.

Mats: Board, Rope, Silk.

Shot: Arrow. Twigs, Feathers, Flint

Not sure about a wooden board... maybe sticks? And I would say silk over rope, rather than both. I would suggest that, to compare it to the sling/slingshot the bow/arrow should have a longer range and greater damage, but that it would be slower to fire (when compared to a slingshot at least) and require more effort to create ammunition (arrows).

3. Crossbow. Fires quickly, but takes MUCH longer to load than a bow. Mid to long range with greater damage than bow. Meant for larger prey, but not mobs.

Mats: Same as bow, but higher amounts.

Shot: Bolts, same as arrow, less twigs and feathers, mainly to keep ammo seperate but authenticity is also good :cool:

I would suggest that we either include gold, or another ore in the crossbow's construction to account for a winding mechanism. I mean, if you're really going to want a stark comparison between the crossbow and bow you would need something that lets you really pull back the string. I agree it should fire quickly, at first, but then have a reload time that mirrors the draw time for the bow. Also, I agree about the greater damage as a trade-off.

4. Musket. Fires Quickly, but takes a LONG TIME to reload. Longest range. Extreem Damage. Meant for one shot hunting on Beefalo. Most definatly not for mobs, reload time is death sentence for up close fighting.

Mats: Iron (would have to add), boards, charcoal (and anything else hienous and hard to get the devs want)

Shot: Two parts, bullets from Iron, gunpowder from powder horn. Horn made from wood, gunpowder from charcoal.

A while back I suggested a flintlock rifle, or the unique Blunderbuss. Of course there are naysayers to guns of any kind. What you've suggested about the rifle mirrors my own thoughts on the subject, a quick-fire weapon that often kills with a single hit, but has a very long reload time that makes it impossible to use against multiple enemies. Maybe another factor could be that in addition to the rifle you need the powder horn and iron balls (bullets), so that's two inventory slots for ammunition, compared to the others which only needed one. And if you run out of powder or shot, then the rifle is useless.

One final note, if they introduce weather and it's raining... the rifle should be useless (cannot fire).

I SEARCHED "ranged" to see if anyone had suggested this. If nobody had I planned on it, so obviously this has my full support. I think it could be simplified though, like maybe not have so many ranged weapons?

I agree. While I commented on every ranged weapon, I felt that maybe we didn't need the crossbow. The progression from sling/slingshot to bow to flintlock rifle should be more than enough.

I only say this because there's really only one weapon so far, so I think it would kind of be overkill to add four ranged ones. What if there was just a bow that required 500 research points and then used up twigs, silk, and rope? This would make more sense because only one ranged weapon would mean everyone would want it, but it wouldn't be OP because it's such a pain to get arrows.

Well there won't be research points for this, as Kevin has stated that system is going to be replaced. Rather it will come down to spending more than the basic amount of resources to craft a prototype of the item, and after that you can craft later versions at a reduced (resource) cost. So if inventing the bow costs 10 sticks and 10 silk, then after you spend those resources you'll acquire a bow. But later you may see the cost to craft a bow is now 5 sticks and 5 silk.

And personally I like the trouble required to create arrows... as ranged combat grants a huge advantage. So if you only have, say, 12 arrows then you'll want to spend them cautiously rather than running around shooting everything on two or four or eight legs. Maybe you'll save your arrows for when you're facing more dangerous opponents, like fire hounds, who you would be a fool to face in melee combat (on account of them breathing fire...and your armor being a log suit). This is of course just an example.

The way you describe these weapons sounds overpowered. What's stopping you from making 3 muskets and swapping weapons to get a chain gun? :p

I would think maybe that it would use up 5 slots (3 flintlock rifles, 1 powder horn, 1 bag 'o rounds). Other options would be to either have a smoke/recoil animation play after a shot is fired, requiring a 1-2 second cooldown of all actions (i.e. glued to the spot) after a shot is fired which would paralyze the player and cause him grief if he's facing multiple enemies or have it that you can't pre-load the flintlock rifle. In the second case you would have to take the time/effort to load the rifle and then you could fire... after which you have to deal with any multiple enemies by other means.

And if they share a cooldown... Musket, crossbow, then bow, and then quickly change to spear when the enemy's close. You'd have to implement something that would prevent the player from brutally abusing these weapons.

Otherwise: All for it. I'd love sniping stuff ;)

Funny, I didn't read what else you wrote until now. :p

I don't think the sling or bow would need cooldowns, as their firing mechanism requires a delay already. The slingshot on the other hand might be too powerful if you could spam stones from it too quickly, so it would need a slight "pull back" time where you hold the fire button (LMB) before releasing it, just not taking as long as the bow.

But yes, in the case of the bow and rifle, I could see fast enemies just being too "all over you" to make them useful after an initial attack or two (for the bow only). At which point you would need to either flee or switch to a melee weapon.

You will be happy to know a blowgun is coming next update.

Yup. But if they're just darts... how effective would that really be? I think we need... poison.

It said the darts are sleep darts.

Ah yes. Wait, how do they do that? It should be something like... Mandrake Root sap. Requires one boiled Mandrake.

Effects aside, then this wouldn't be an offensive weapon and I assume striking a sleeping target would wake it back up?

Classic. :)

Reminds me of the "Sandman" perk in Fallout 3. Foolish sleeping people...

U have played fallout 3 and it made enough impression on u to remember that perk. Fallout 3 is the best game i have ever played. It hit just the right buttons. Will u marry me?

On a serious note, I would love to experiment with bow and arrow. Imo we should start with 1 ranged weapon to see how it goes. It wouldnt surprise me to see a few ranged enemies pop up after that aswell. All projectiles in this game should be dodgeable imo would fit the game considering the majority of melee attacks can be dodged aswell. The next thing is, should we be able to lead our target (hence be able to target ground ahead of them) or should ranged weapons be targetted only, which means we can only fire at enemies running towards us.

We should also consider mechanics like "immune to ranged attacks". Think about treeguards. Sure they are beefy, but they are slow as old timers on sleeping pills and can be killed with ranged weapons without any risk to the player, since they can be outrun easily.

U have played fallout 3 and it made enough impression on u to remember that perk. Fallout 3 is the best game i have ever played. It hit just the right buttons. Will u marry me?

Sorry, I'm saving myself for that special someone... ;)

But I'll share a really funny story with you from Fallout 3. I was searching the area southeast of Megaton, near an abandoned car dealership when I spotted the Enclave starting a fight with raiders. Now there's nothing more fun then watching two groups go at it and then picking off the leftovers, so I sneakily watched the entire battle. Of course since the Enclave had a mind-controlled Deathclaw I knew the bandits really didn't stand a chance... and sure enough it killed them all. As it was walking back the Deathclaw suddenly spotted me. I had my plasma rifle so I engaged VATS mode, so I could auto-aim for its head, and fired... and that's when the game went "buggy". :p

Sad fact, I used to have a screenshot of this...incident... that is, until my last harddrive glitched and became just a fancy paperweight... so I'll describe it. The Deathclaw literally flew a mile or so up into the air. How do I know this? Because in VATS mode it switched to the enemies' view as my shot travelled towards it and I could clearly see all of us like ants far below... even my green plasma shot was only a speck. It was crazy funny. Needless to say it never happened to me again, but it was defeinitely ranked as the second strangest bug I've ever encountered in a game. The first? Well that would be in the original Fallout... but that's another story. :)

On a serious note, I would love to experiment with bow and arrow. Imo we should start with 1 ranged weapon to see how it goes. It wouldnt surprise me to see a few ranged enemies pop up after that aswell. All projectiles in this game should be dodgeable imo would fit the game considering the majority of melee attacks can be dodged aswell. The next thing is, should we be able to lead our target (hence be able to target ground ahead of them) or should ranged weapons be targetted only, which means we can only fire at enemies running towards us.

Well so far combat isn't very elaborate in Don't Starve. And in the next update we'll have access to a new ranged weapon, so to speak, the blow darts. However they put targets to sleep rather than inflicting damage.

We should also consider mechanics like "immune to ranged attacks". Think about treeguards. Sure they are beefy, but they are slow as old timers on sleeping pills and can be killed with ranged weapons without any risk to the player, since they can be outrun easily.

True. But they're also very tough to kill, so you would need to spend considerable ammunition to destroy one, with little payoff (at this time). Also Wendy can already kill treeguards "at range" by using Abigail.

I don't know about musket to be honest.. kind of ruins the feeling of 'modern man exploits nature for what he can to survive' kind of vibe, it needs things a little more old and yet with futuristic thiking (like the science machine)

Well I wouldn't call a musket or flintlock rifle high-tech, but I get where you're coming from as something like this would be the most advanced item suggested to date. Another option is, like the bee mine, to create weapons that are based on pseudoscience... like a "honey grenade" that can be tossed at a group of targets and when it detonates glues everyone with sticky honey to that spot for a few seconds. :)

A very simple musket/flintock would not have to be a balance problem. You have to put powder in it and reload after every shot, making it less then ideal in hectic fights. Nor does it have to use bullets, with bee mines the game seems to be creative with weapons.

A very simple musket/flintock would not have to be a balance problem. You have to put powder in it and reload after every shot, making it less then ideal in hectic fights. Nor does it have to use bullets, with bee mines the game seems to be creative with weapons.

Exactly. It's not the weapon, but rather how you balance it and whether it fits the overall theme of the game.